The New 2021 BMW R 1250 RT - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 10:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

When engine is cold it shows a lower redline. When engine warms up redline goes to full rpm which I think is 8500:

‘13 FJR
‘13 990 SMT
‘06 R1200RT P (it followed me home)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 11:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmondB View Post
Jim, These bikes are about the same weight as the FJR. 635 lbs. with full fuel. They feel lighter I think because the weight is carried lower on the bike with the horizontal opposed engine.
I thought they were less. I have not looked at them in a while. Maybe I’m thinking of the GS. I can tell you the RT I rode felt significantly lighter. Probably because of the low center of gravity.
OrmondB likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 06:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I thought they were less. I have not looked at them in a while. Maybe I’m thinking of the GS. I can tell you the RT I rode felt significantly lighter. Probably because of the low center of gravity.
615lbs. Feels like less because of lower centre of gravity. Easier to ride than the FJR.
jjscsix likes this.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Thank you all for commenting on this thread. There is some really good information, opinions, and experiences mentioned!

My original intent was never to exude this emotion: " It's a sad, pitiful person that feels the need to belittle others to make himself feel better ."

I don't hate any bikes. My attitude has always been as long as you are on 2 wheels, we are good.

My friend is going to buy this bike, and was showing it to me. He was proud that he made the decision, and I am happy for him. He will be riding again after a long hiatus and that makes me happy.

And my nature is to find humor, and snark wherever I can, not to be malicious, but to just have a little fun... And if one were to get to know me, and not judge me blindly, by a line on a computer screen, they might find my good nature to be true.

I just found it funny that the 2021 BMW is bragging about features, that the FJR has had for many years, and that Yamaha has executed effectively. My intention was to never belittle anyone. Again, if you knew me, you would know that.

If I have offended anyone, by this original posting, I am sorry. I do not ever want to rustle any feathers...

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter
Greg

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span, those hours spent riding a motorcycle.

Old Corral - 77 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl; '78 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt; '76 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue; '80 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"; '80 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion; '98 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

Just looked in my owners' manual. The redline on these bikes changes with the engine temperature. When the engine reaches full operating temp, the redline no longer moves. FYI...
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 10:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-bike View Post
The service cost for BMW vs Yamaha will keep me away from the BMW's.
I had a 2008 R1200GS prior to purchasing my 2012 Tenere.
Don't miss the $$$ spent just to maintain the bike.
The BMW 'R' bikes are very simple to maintain. The valve train is very easy to access, no throttle body sync required and the other tasks are all easy to perform. I can do a valve check on either my R1200GSA or Spousal Unit's R1200GS from start to finish in less time than it takes to get the valve cover off my old FJR. Adjusting the valves is also far easier on the BMW from what I can tell, although in 80K combined miles I've never had to adjust the valves on either bike. The cost of maintaining either bike is mostly due to what the shop labor rate is at the servicing dealer. Around where I live the Yamaha dealer and the BMW dealer are within $10 of each other. The BMW does call for a valve check every 12,000 miles, so about twice as often as the FJR.

I enjoy riding my GSA more than I did my FJR, which I also liked a great deal. To me the GSA handles better, is not as cumbersome at low speeds and has much better ergonomics. There is no doubt that the FJR is the gold standard for reliability. I never had any problems with my FJR in the 45K miles i had it. I've owned BMWs since 1980 and have had very good luck with them. With the 15 or so BMWs we have owned the only significant issues we've had were a software glitch on SU's GS which was intially misdiagnosed and more recently the driveshaft on my GSA is showing signs of problems.

BMW evidently his enamored with new technology. My three year old bike has shift assist so it shifts without the clutch or coming off the throttle, hill assist making it easier to start on a steep incline (handy off road) and the 1250s have variable cam timing.

It is a shame that Yamaha appears to be unwilling to do the work to keep the FJR compliant with environmental regulations. I'm sure it comes down to money.
Myfjr and jjscsix like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 11:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Skippy, I always assume humorous intent when I see posts like yours, so I get it.
2FAST4UBAILEY and skippy344! like this.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Thanks, Robin!!

And I love your avatar! Being a displaced Marylander, myself!
Gitbox likes this.

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter
Greg

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span, those hours spent riding a motorcycle.

Old Corral - 77 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl; '78 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt; '76 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue; '80 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"; '80 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion; '98 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Last edited by skippy344!; 01-18-2021 at 10:07 PM.
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 01:35 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Nah... I mean, if you've got the money, and don't mind getting fleeced for service ($285 for an OIL CHANGE [forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?96797-R-1250-GS-6000-Mile-Service])... I guess.

I'd rather have my 2020 FJR - and I could buy a good used 2015+ FJR for the same money...

New 2020 FJR - phoenix rising!
New 2008 FJR (sold, a victim of the economy)
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 02:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedelta View Post
Just looked in my owners' manual. The redline on these bikes changes with the engine temperature. When the engine reaches full operating temp, the redline no longer moves. FYI...
Correct. As per my post on pg. 2 of the thread, this is exactly how the red line works. The photo provided in the thread must've been taken by the photographer as he just turned on the ignition to fire up the TFT and get its beautiful, class-leading full-color display, took his shot, and then shut it back down.

2016 FJR1300A (now gone but fondly remembered)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page