Wind noise - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Wind noise

I just bought 2020 FJR this week, rode it from the dealership for the first time - what a great bike!! I was bit nervous switching from a small cruising Triumph America but the Yamaha was so easy to handle that it was a pleasure to ride. I played with it till it got too cold ( November in Boston). I loved everything about the FJR but the wind noise. I am 6.2 , put the windshield to the highest possible setting , I did not feel too much wind on the head or the chest ( comparing to my Triumph ) but the wind noise was brutal. If I dipped my head just 3-4 inches lower the noise went down 50%., but the riding position was too comfortable. Lowering the shield did not help. Does anyone experienced this before? I thought about lowering the seat but it is set into the lever position already, I can't lift the windshield any higher ( I think this would help) , I have a good helmet Shark Evo 2 , so I don't see any solutions. Maybe I just have unreasonable expectations after riding the Triumph with its huge "window" at front ( it was quiet but I hated looking thru it !!).
Thank you
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 12:54 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Wind noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1300 View Post
I just bought 2020 FJR this week, rode it from the dealership for the first time - what a great bike!! I was bit nervous switching from a small cruising Triumph America but the Yamaha was so easy to handle that it was a pleasure to ride. I played with it till it got too cold ( November in Boston). I loved everything about the FJR but the wind noise. I am 6.2 , put the windshield to the highest possible setting , I did not feel too much wind on the head or the chest ( comparing to my Triumph ) but the wind noise was brutal. If I dipped my head just 3-4 inches lower the noise went down 50%., but the riding position was too comfortable. Lowering the shield did not help. Does anyone experienced this before? I thought about lowering the seat but it is set into the lever position already, I can't lift the windshield any higher ( I think this would help) , I have a good helmet Shark Evo 2 , so I don't see any solutions. Maybe I just have unreasonable expectations after riding the Triumph with its huge "window" at front ( it was quiet but I hated looking thru it !!). Thank you
Andy
Andy,

Usually, the biggest source of wind noise is the helmet, particularly the vents/seams. Borrow or change to something closer to a Bell Star Classic or similar, and see how that goes. Otherwise, just tape up the vents and seams in your helmet, to find the offending part. You can fill in any noisy seams with sealants, such as RTV, if you wish.

Alternately, there are a variety of aftermarket FJR windshields, and some bolt-on clear top deflector panels, which can change the airflow you have in many ways. You can get taller, wider, or top-warped FJR windshields that may do the job for you. You can also get angled mounting blocks that will lay the windshield back more, or stand it up straighter, so feel free to experiment. You can use washers in increasing or decreasing stacks for each mounting bolt, to make minor tilt adjustments. The Yamaha windshield mounting bolts are a safety item, designed to fail in a crash, rather than breaking your windshield into deadly shards the way steel mounting screws would. Accept no substitutes, there. You can sell any excess parts that do not work for you in the Classified ads here, and on other FJR forums, to defray the costs of your experiments. Few FJR riders still have stock OEM windshields, because there are better options out there.

Of course, you might want to use ear plugs for the time being, while you are getting the noise problem sorted out. HTH.
blast likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 01:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

just buy this ..cuts wind noise 50% .. used one for 2 yeaRS BEFORE i TOOK IT OFF..MY FJR HAS A higher windscreen then my bandit

2010 FJR 1300 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 07:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I long ago put a taller wind shield on for the same reason. See if you can still find one about 3" taller with a little backflip at the top. I can look over the top of it and I get a complete cone of silence.
passx and blast like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Definitely need an upgraded windshield first, helmet help later. You do wear earplugs for hearing protection, yes?
Yamaha improved the airflow UNDER the windshield with 2013, but as Red says, get a larger one and shim it up to get more airflow under it.
There's a thread on windshields around here somewhere, discussed at length.

Hmmmm. hafta see about that neck roll, how to mount with comm system attached.....
blast likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Andy, couple of things. I use the Yamaha “touring” windshield and it works pretty good for me with several quiet adjustment spots. But I am only 5’10” which makes a big difference so I’m not sure it will help you.

You might try one of the add-on piece’s that go on the top edge to extend the height a bit to see if that helps before spending the money on a new shield. Also try adjusting the windshield up & down a bit to find a quiet zone as for me all the way down is pretty quiet even though there’s a lot of wind on me and also nearly all the way up where I’m just looking over the top edge is quiet as well but very noisey in other positions.

Also as others have said helmets have a big effect on noise, my Scorpion 3000gt’s lower chin ent really ramps up the noise when open on my fjr, not so much on other bikes. Different air flows, and finally I always wear ear plugs, always ! Even a mild air roar is really bad for your hearing.

Finally, Boston imho is one of the best places in our country, our son lives in n-hampshire & we try to visit Boston whenever we go there, I’m a history junkie. Welcome to the sandbox.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

I tried 3 different windshields and this was the answer for me, on the stock shield.
Shimming made It better in full down position with a touring screen, but so bad in raised position it was unridable.
Stock screen with this attachment works for me “finally”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:45 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
We are the same height. I bought the yammy touring windshield and find that it's a lot quieter than the stock windshield because it pushes the air flow to the top of the helmet instead of at my shoulders. I can raise it up and it drops the helmet noise significantly.

I also find that some helmets are worse than others for wind noise. I bought a neotec II and really like it but it's noisier than my old helmet, whistles sometimes depending on how the air flow hits it.

I highly recommend the yammy touring windshield as it's well made, looks better than the OEM IMHO, and has good protection from the wind. I put the OEM windshield back on when temps are over 25oC to give my body better air flow. Gets too warm otherwise.
blast likes this.

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue

Last edited by mikester; 11-21-2020 at 08:49 AM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 10:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, first, the FJR just doesn’t have the wind protection other sport tourers do. But take heart- the stock screen is a joke. A Yamaha touring screen or vstream will serve you much better.

That said, no bike or helmet is quiet enough at highway speed to negate the need for earplugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1300 View Post
I just bought 2020 FJR this week, rode it from the dealership for the first time - what a great bike!! I was bit nervous switching from a small cruising Triumph America but the Yamaha was so easy to handle that it was a pleasure to ride. I played with it till it got too cold ( November in Boston). I loved everything about the FJR but the wind noise. I am 6.2 , put the windshield to the highest possible setting , I did not feel too much wind on the head or the chest ( comparing to my Triumph ) but the wind noise was brutal. If I dipped my head just 3-4 inches lower the noise went down 50%., but the riding position was too comfortable. Lowering the shield did not help. Does anyone experienced this before? I thought about lowering the seat but it is set into the lever position already, I can't lift the windshield any higher ( I think this would help) , I have a good helmet Shark Evo 2 , so I don't see any solutions. Maybe I just have unreasonable expectations after riding the Triumph with its huge "window" at front ( it was quiet but I hated looking thru it !!).
Thank you
Andy
mobilemike likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Wind noise

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It will give me some options ! Start with the windshield extension and go from there !
Andy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page