Wind noise - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Farkle Trainee

I too am 6'-2" with a 2020 FJR and I too find it noisy, wind-wise. A few comments:

A motorcycle windshield should never be so high that you have to look through it.

Always wear earplugs, even where wearing them is illegal or semi-illegal like in Minnesota where apparently it is illegal to wear 2 earplugs. That is unless you don't mind tinnitus or you hope to go deaf some day. I doubt there's a windshield/helmet combination good enough to protect your hearing.

Helmet design is a huge factor in wind noise. The Shoei Neotec II is said to be the quietest modular helmet, even better than the Schuberth. I have both a Neotec II and an AGV Sport Modular Carbon and the Neotec II is much quieter than the AGV. Better yet, give up the convenience of a modular and wear a conventional full face helmet.

I bought the Yamaha touring windshield and it helps but it is not perfect. I believe it is 4" taller and 1/2" wider than stock. It does block a lot of air, in fact it blocks too much air in the hot weather so I switched back to the stock screen and put up with a little more noise. I now use the touring windshield for cold weather, like below 5C.

Good luck in your quest to find quiet. It can be like searching for unicorns.

Haynes

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 12:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
I tried 3 different windshields and this was the answer for me, on the stock shield.
Shimming made It better in full down position with a touring screen, but so bad in raised position it was unridable.
Stock screen with this attachment works for me “finally”
Kinda funny we all try various windshields and then one day, boom. How to disturb the turbulence at the top of the windshield.

That deflector is the answer, shims also, have one on each of my two bikes. Cheap too.
Little Joe likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
Helmet design is a huge factor in wind noise. The Shoei Neotec II is said to be the quietest modular helmet, even better than the Schuberth. I have both a Neotec II and an AGV Sport Modular Carbon and the Neotec II is much quieter than the AGV. Better yet, give up the convenience of a modular and wear a conventional full face helmet.
I wear a flip-up because I have to show my face to the guards when riding onto work property. With my Nolan N104 Evo, my Sena 20S is unusable above 60mph - won't pick up my voice at all. When I rode with a Shoei RF-1200, I could talk on the Sena and people didn't know I was on a motorcycle at least through 90mph. Untested above that. I expect that a flip-up will never be as quiet as a quality full-face.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 11:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Andy, the Yamaha touring shield is a night and day improvement over the stock shield and it’s reasonably priced. The Shark Evo helmet is one of the loudest helmets there is for wind noise. Owned on some years ago. Generally speaking modular helmets are louder than a full face but if you like modular that’s fine. Helmets rate right up there with tires and oil so I’m not going there.
passx likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 11-21-2020 at 11:05 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

With my setup, both N104’s and Neotec 2’s are quiet, even at speed. I have conducted phone calls in both and folks had no idea I was on a motorcycle. That’s with Nolan n-com and Sena SRL units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
I wear a flip-up because I have to show my face to the guards when riding onto work property. With my Nolan N104 Evo, my Sena 20S is unusable above 60mph - won't pick up my voice at all. When I rode with a Shoei RF-1200, I could talk on the Sena and people didn't know I was on a motorcycle at least through 90mph. Untested above that. I expect that a flip-up will never be as quiet as a quality full-face.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wind Noise?

Ear plugs!

It's the ONLY way to protect your hearing. No windshield or helmet will prevent hearing loss from over-pressures of air past your ears. Protect your hearing. Trust me.
rbentnail and passx like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Wind noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
With my setup, both N104’s and Neotec 2’s are quiet, even at speed. I have conducted phone calls in both and folks had no idea I was on a motorcycle. That’s with Nolan n-com and Sena SRL units.
Bill,

Maybe I missed it, but what is your "setup" exactly?

The OP here is tall. How tall are you?

Do you use earplugs too, and if so, which ones?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

6’, 32” inseam. Custom Laam seat or stock. Touring screen. I use moldex foam or earpeace earplugs. Helibars in the middle position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Bill,

Maybe I missed it, but what is your "setup" exactly?

The OP here is tall. How tall are you?

Do you use earplugs too, and if so, which ones?

Thanks.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Wind noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
6’, 32” inseam. Custom Laam seat or stock. Touring screen. I use moldex foam or earpeace earplugs. Helibars in the middle position.
Bill,

Good to know. I have some generic foam earplugs now; I'm gonna try some Moldex. Thanks.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 08:30 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1300 View Post
I just bought 2020 FJR this week, rode it from the dealership for the first time - what a great bike!! I was bit nervous switching from a small cruising Triumph America but the Yamaha was so easy to handle that it was a pleasure to ride. I played with it till it got too cold ( November in Boston). I loved everything about the FJR but the wind noise. I am 6.2 , put the windshield to the highest possible setting , I did not feel too much wind on the head or the chest ( comparing to my Triumph ) but the wind noise was brutal. If I dipped my head just 3-4 inches lower the noise went down 50%., but the riding position was too comfortable. Lowering the shield did not help. Does anyone experienced this before? I thought about lowering the seat but it is set into the lever position already, I can't lift the windshield any higher ( I think this would help) , I have a good helmet Shark Evo 2 , so I don't see any solutions. Maybe I just have unreasonable expectations after riding the Triumph with its huge "window" at front ( it was quiet but I hated looking thru it !!).
Thank you
Andy

I’m only 5’10” and have the touring shield on my 2015. Makes a difference!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill Lumberg and passx like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page