Inspection list for purchase - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Inspection list for purchase

If this post is in the wrong area, please accept my apologies, I will claim the "newbie" exemption!

I have narrowed my purchasing search to a Gen 3 2013-15 (leaning towards a '15, but keeping an open mind), with an outside look at the '16 model.

While the cosmetics are important, I am fully willing to accept a sound bike, that has been scratched from an inadvertent drop, then I won't feel as bad when I do it.
The question I have is what specific things beyond the tires, fluids, mx records) would be items you would want to look at before committing to a purchase? Ex: there is a lot fo conversation about the cracking of the sub frame in the tail. It seems like that is a very expensive fix, but I am not sure how to make sure the bike I might want to buy doesn't have the issue. I am not sure how a seller would feel about asking them to disassemble their bike so I can take a look.
If you would like to give me a price range for each model, I would be happy to accept that input as well.

Again, I am most appreciative of all the information, and I know everyone has a different perspective. Thank you in advance for helping out the FNG

Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 12:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The rear subframe can easily be inspected for cracks by simply removing the rear saddle. You should also check that the mirror stems are nice and firm. When these bikes fall over, the support "Stay", inside the fairing, often breaks, resulting in a floppy mirror.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 02:40 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

New guy here, so certainly not an expert, but I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles over the years.

I would go to the FOR SALE part of this forum, and scroll back through the last year or two of threads and click on every for sale thread for a Gen 3 - even if already SOLD, lots of the threads still have the asking price in them - this will give you a good idea of the asking price for a private party sale.

Then go to CycleTrader.com (just like AutoTrader, which most folks are familiar with) and do a nationwide search for Gen 3 bikes - you will then get a good idea of the asking prices from many dealerships, and also from the many private party sales. Understand dealerships will usually have some sort of "document fee" that will add several hundred dollars, which often offsets any discount you can work, and there will also be sales tax - depending on where you live and register the bike, you may or may not have to pay sales tax on a private party purchase.

Definitely double check the sales tax issue - because if you DON'T have to pay it on private party sales (as is the case in Nevada), then it makes a private party sale much more attractive, IMO.

2014 FJR1300A

Burning it up in the Desert Southwest

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 10:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Look for and walk away if they don't have a detailed service folder. Receipts with date + mileage for all services or consumables used by self-services. Also all accessories for when they were installed.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 03:41 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Inspection list for purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Look for and walk away if they don't have a detailed service folder. Receipts with date + mileage for all services or consumables used by self-services. Also all accessories for when they were installed.
Skyryder,

I would this to the Bounce list: the sources for any and all accessories/upgrades added, because Yamaha won't help with aftermarket problems. These newer things may also have warrantees of some sort, which may or may not be transferable to the new owner. Even without a warrantee, it's still good to know where to get a new one, if the existing item does break.
Never hurts to ask . . .

The PO may still have all of the OEM gear that has been replaced by upgraded stuff, which they won't need. That OEM stuff can help if you ever decide to go back to factory-stock on some items.

I would want to do a title search, if the bike has been titled. I would avoid buying a bike with a high number of short-term owners, because there may be some hidden reason for the turnover.

Check the date codes on the tires, of course. The remaining tread depth means nothing, for the strong and hefty FJR. Click & scroll down:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Happy hunting!
bounce and RedRockFJRider14 like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 10:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have bought bikes without service records, but develop a good rapport with the seller and he might spill all. You can pretty much tell from that and looking at the bike what's going on. Regardless, hard to imagine there's much to worry about with an FJR. When you get it, you're gonna (or should be) bring all maintenance up to date and start your own log.
passx and RedRockFJRider14 like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 11:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post

Check the date codes on the tires, of course. The remaining tread depth means nothing, for the strong and hefty FJR. Click & scroll down:

Happy hunting!

Good tip -

Just went out to the garage and checked the tires on my just purchased 2014 FJR -

Although the tires still have probably 1/3 tread, they were both made in 2014, the 2nd and the 4th week of 2014. Fits with my bike's production date on the VIN sticker, it was made in 2/14.

Ugh.

The bike has just under 16k miles on it - if they ARE the original tires, then I guess the good news is the prior owner most definitely did NOT ride it hard, lol.

Guess the smart thing is to go ahead and get some new rubber on the bike, certainly before any long trips.

(goes off to search for tire recommendation threads.....)
skippy344! likes this.

2014 FJR1300A

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockFJRider14 View Post
(goes off to search for tire recommendation threads.....)
That's a rabbit hole you may not want to enter . . . that, and oil threads. Just sayin'.

Regardless, welcome to The Forum.

Haynes

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 01:19 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
That's a rabbit hole you may not want to enter . . . that, and oil threads. Just sayin'.

Regardless, welcome to The Forum.

Haynes
Been searching and reading since my post above.

Not having much luck with the forum search engine, as it doesn't seem to allow one to search for items in thread TITLES only.

Found a handful of threads about tires going back a couple of years, but not a lot of consensus.

Also couldn't find any info on if people buy online, and are able to get a dealer to mount, or just buy direct from a dealer. Probably some that do it themselves, but I have no idea how to mount anything beyond a bicycle tire, and no interest in trying.

As far as the oil goes, just went with synthetic 10w40 Castrol.....

oil is oil.....

(do I need to put a flamesuit on here?)

2014 FJR1300A

'82 Honda CR250
'83 Honda XL250R
'82 Yamaha Seca 750
'82 Honda V45 Sabre
'90 Suzuki Katana 750
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Red face A big thank you for all the replies

I do appreciate the input and actually learned a bit as well....imagine that! I know from personal experience that I don't have all the records from my current bike, and I traded my current mechanic a trailer for a bit of work and new parts that he has not documented for his own reasons. I will make sure to at least make a note in my mx log for my own information. I am not tied to a trade for the FJR, but if I can get some kind of fair value and buy with cash from a dealer I will do that.
What I am seeing is the price between a "15 and '16 is pretty slim" but I am not sure I want to deal with the electronic upgrades (read potential MTBF issues) and the flexibility in suspension setup that is afforded to the GEN 3 bikes over the newest ones. The one thing that I would like to have is the LED headlights, but I suspect that is something that can be added, or a least mitigated.
Again, I appreciate the input....truly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page