Mystery exhaust noise - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Mystery exhaust noise

G,day guys, i bought my 2006 bike about 12mths ago, its fitted with a staintune exhaust, With restritors removed,a popping noise is heard at low revs , Iíve balanced the throttle body, removed the rubber piping on top and although its running sweat as and great mileage, still i wonder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 09:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The popping noise MAY be from the PAIR system, which allows passive flow of filtered air from the airbox into the exhaust ports. A solenoid valve controls it on or off. The idea was to decrease emissions by having any unburned gasses mix with air, then burn off. Results in popping noises on occasion.

Some remove this system and plumbing to clean up the engine bay, but there is no advantage to performance, the mixing takes place downstream of combustion.

Now that you know that, any leak in the exhaust, e.g. at clamp locations can also result in popping as air enters there if they are not tight. Hard to imagine your joints aren't tight however, but check the muffler clamps at the collector near the centerstand.
bounce and Barry58 like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 11:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Many seek "the pop".

https://youtu.be/5GETIxMFW_M?t=156

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks razerman ill check that because at one stage i was going to put the original cans back on to see any change, as i pulled off the staintune can, i noticed the sealant was brittle, i did take it to a dealer and they could only suggest putting through injector cleaner ( 2 bottles already put through) because the guy i bought it off (76) had not ridden it for 5 years due to hip and knee replacements, anyway the bike is awesome runs well and just clocked 62000 miles
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 09:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Old, let me ask, is the popping on just decel or does it occur on acceleration or both ? Decel is pretty much normal with the exception of an exhaust leak. My 14a has done it pretty much since new but really wasnít all that noticeable with the stock mufflers because it was really quiet, adding the Delkevic 18Ē carbon cans made it more noticeable because it probably leaned things out a bit plus the Delks are louder.

Having Ivan reflash the cpu is supposed to eliminate the decel popping but I kinda like it (old hot rodder thing) , now I fit occurs on acceleration thatís a different thing and probably a problem. If it happens on accel does it also have a miss or stutter ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 11:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My 03 popped on decel when I put the aftermarket cans on it. The OEM cans went back on for the IBR and those seem to mask it. More open cans apparently don't "muffle" as much.
rbentnail likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
My 03 popped on decel when I put the aftermarket cans on it. The OEM cans went back on for the IBR and those seem to mask it. More open cans apparently don't "muffle" as much.
^^ This, my experience as well.
bounce likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Itís only when you start , out of gear and and from about 1000 to 3000revs
I donít notice it whilst riding, maybe it is just the cans being more open and less restricted as suggested, thanks
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Itís the cans, removing the pair system is supposed to help eliminate this but it doesnít seem to hurt a thing. enjoy your bike !
bounce likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:34 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwhaler View Post
Thanks razerman ill check that because at one stage i was going to put the original cans back on to see any change, as i pulled off the staintune can, i noticed the sealant was brittle, i did take it to a dealer and they could only suggest putting through injector cleaner ( 2 bottles already put through) because the guy i bought it off (76) had not ridden it for 5 years due to hip and knee replacements, anyway the bike is awesome runs well and just clocked 62000 miles
Have you got the proper gaskets fitted to your Staintunes?? They are quite cheap from your local Yamaha dealer, if not, this is probably what's causing your popping. Items 7 and 10 in the picture.

3XW-14714-00-00 GASKET, MUFFLER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust seals.jpg (90.3 KB, 13 views)

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page