Can-Am - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Can-Am

Wife gets a 2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited but does not want to do winter storage in her garage. She still has her house but rented out. I have a 24 x 24 gayrage with 4 bikes, lift, NoMar tire changer, compressor, icy box, ele furnace, 4 tool boxes, 4 x 8 work bench, work table and crap all over.

She believes the FJR will fit in the 10x16 shed to make room for the Can-Am but my shed is for lawn mowers and a parts house with no room left in it. She has measured the Can-Am and picked her spot in the gayrage where she wants it and says just clear out this space and even offered to help me throw stuff away to make room.

Now I remember why we have a prenup
Bernie, RaYzerman, passx and 1 others like this.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife) "Now Mine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 07:33 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

All I hear is the song "it would have been cheaper, to keep her, ..."

Now there are two reasons never to buy a CAN-AM
Chicago_FJR likes this.

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 07:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Looks to me like a good reason to do an add-on to the garage ! I did this a couple of years ago to my 26x32 pole barn/workshop. I added a 22x32 addition to it for cold storage, the only regret I have is that it wasnít bigger .i kept the wall between the sides so the workshop is heated With all the amenities and the addition is just cold storage.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
All I hear is the song "it would have been cheaper, to keep her, ..."

Now there are two reasons never to buy a CAN-AM
Only two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Looks to me like a good reason to do an add-on to the garage ! I did this a couple of years ago to my 26x32 pole barn/workshop. I added a 22x32 addition to it for cold storage, the only regret I have is that it wasnít bigger .i kept the wall between the sides so the workshop is heated With all the amenities and the addition is just cold storage.
Careful with that. We have three buildings on our property other than the house, and I don't care how many we build we manage to fill them.
passx likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Even with the best of intentions and proper planning, freakin' shops are always too small the instant the framing is up, lol.
passx and ReRose like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 09:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Iíve had several friends ask for advice on building a pole building and I always say a minimum of 30x40ft but build it as big as you can afford with a 30x40 minimum.

Itís funny because I had a friend that had 3 or 4 pole barns all with concrete floors, insulated with heat, the smallest was 40x50ft and they were all packed ! You definitely tend to fill them so you have to make an effort not to do that.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 09:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Iíve had several friends ask for advice on building a pole building and I always say a minimum of 30x40ft but build it as big as you can afford with a 30x40 minimum.

Itís funny because I had a friend that had 3 or 4 pole barns all with concrete floors, insulated with heat, the smallest was 40x50ft and they were all packed ! You definitely tend to fill them so you have to make an effort not to do that.
My wife ran an embroidery shop and did work for mostly advertising companies near us providing the embroidery for caps, logo shirts, etc. There was a time when if you saw a embroidered cap on a highway department employee or a logo shirt at a new car dealership, she did that embroidery. But I digress.

We decided years ago that we could build a building out of our hip pocket and rent that building to her business for a reasonable monthly amount, and it'd pay for itself. We built the building like a cabin you'd find in a state park or something with a bath plumbed for a shower. The intention was that it'd be a guest house after she retired. All went according to plan except the guest house part. When she sold her equipment and moved it out of that building it apparently created a vacuum because it's never really been empty. The day we emptied it of embroidery equipment it started sucking other stuff back in. It's amazing I tell you!

I will admit that a large portion of the crap is in it simply because I refuse to allow it in my shop, and I would try to do this if she suddenly decides she needs a three-wheeler, and she has mentioned this. So far I've just said she could park her car in the yard and park it there. I'm not sure how far I'm willing to push this, though ...... since we don't have a guest house should I need one.
passx likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I live in an old neighborhood with lots 50 ft X 150 ft so I am out of room. I have a feeling it will be her garage but have not had a serious discussion yet but I have been cleaning and getting rid of stuff. Found stuff I thought I had lost years ago!

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife) "Now Mine"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 11:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Mr. Ed, in that case, it would be an oversize doghouse, not a guest house, lol. Yeah, no matter how big you build them, you have to resist accumulating stuff and purge old stuff out, stay organized. I envy people who have no "stuff" on the floor and every little thing has its place. Must be something wrong with them, lol.
Mr_Ed and ReRose like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 01:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I have a 2200 sq/ft shop. Last year I added a 350 sq/ft loft for storage and this year I enclosed under the loft to add more heated space. We are planning to add a 400 sq/ft pole addition to the side for storing stuff. I don't have to persuade Spousal Unit to make these additions since she has more motorcyles in the shop than I do.
ReRose likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page