• 1 Post By Jim W
  • 1 Post By passx
  • 4 Post By Donk
  • 4 Post By maximrebel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Back on the road today!!!!!!

I though i was done for the season (heart valve replaced) so i put the fjr away. Its been about 2 months now & feeling really good, the first 6 weeks weren't fun at all. I had to move it outa the shed to put summer stuff away & ended up taking it around the block a few times, quite the mood enhancer. Today Im going for a few short rides. Things like this make me value my health & my fjr!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I had a quadruple bypass done a few years ago, and the first couple of months were ****. But it's been almost 4 years and life is good. Your scar will always be tender, get used to it. The guys on this forum, asking, praying, encouraging me to hurry up and get well so I could ride, were a big part of my good attitude and recovery.

Congrats on your surgery, now get out there and ride. LOL

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 10:01 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I'm not quite back...waiting patient-ly.

Pacemaker install earlier in September has me sidelined until sometime around Thanksgiving. I had just changed the windshield from a CalSci to Vstream before the procedure so that NEEDS several hundred miles of evaluation.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

'15 Suzuki S40 - wife's bike
'12 FJR1300a (unnamed)
'09 Vulcan 500 (Artoo) - traded in for FJR, due to lack of use
'86 Rebel 250 (LilBlu)
'97 ST ABS (BigRed)
'78 CB750K - my 1st "big bike", got sold to oldest brother, who eventually sold it youngest brother, then out of family.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 10:56 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Motorcycles should be part of rehabilitation.... just sayin'.
JohnC, maximrebel, passx and 3 others like this.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 12:09 PM
FJR Top Gun

got to be a good feeling. Congrats!
ReRose and Jim W like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
I had a quadruple bypass done a few years ago, and the first couple of months were ****. But it's been almost 4 years and life is good. Your scar will always be tender, get used to it. The guys on this forum, asking, praying, encouraging me to hurry up and get well so I could ride, were a big part of my good attitude and recovery.

Congrats on your surgery, now get out there and ride. LOL
Thanks Phil. Glad your bypass worked out so good. I do phys. therapy 3 times a week & everybody in there is doing good. These surgeons are great. I got out on it a little bit this weekend, felt pretty good. I took my russell seat off & put the stock one on so i can reach the ground easier, glad i still have the old one. Next time Im putting the touring windshield back on, its getting cold around here.
RobertO2016 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2020, 09:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Jim, really great to hear you’re doing good, a ride on the bike is always great therapy. I’m in the last stages of determining what they’re going to do about my back problems, we met with the neurosurgeon last week to decide on a plan. I probably haven’t put more than 500mi on my 3 bikes I generally ride (14a fjr, 82 CBX, 76 GL1000) this year but i did get to ride the fjr a little last week which really helped the attitude! The GL & CBX I pickled for the winter as well as the FJR but being injected is a lot easier to be able ride it and re-pickle.

Anyway I’m glad you’re ok and can enjoy that fjr !
Jim W likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 10:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Glad you got out for a spin.. Im sure it did your heart good. This thread makes us all sound old. But were still here and still riding so lifes good.

I will add what I think is a funny story. I had an ostomy bag after my first colon rectal cancer surgery. Im friends with the owner of the HD shop in W Palm Beach. Stopped in to say hello. They talked me into taking a bike for a spin. It was hot, I drank a bottle of Gatoraid. When I got back to the dealership I made a mad dash for the restroom. When I walked out everyone was quite concerned if I was ok. My response, Im fine just a bagger riding a bagger.

Keep riding, keep your sense of humor,(mine can be sort of twisted) and remember to laugh at yourself.
passx, Jim W, Dtap and 1 others like this.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 11:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

You know, there's just about nothing like getting out there on your motorcycle to put a smile on your heart and soul. I stopped riding for a long time while I was married with 2 younger step children, and then my first wife battled breast cancer for 2 years and she passed away in November 2008. A friend of mine got me go tag along to a Honda dealership in 2009 to look at a bike for him and that's what got me going again. I started riding again, got involved with that very dealership taking pictures on group rides, and then I got my first FJR in 2011 and went with a group of friends to the Dragon and the Great Smoky Mountains. Man, I was hooked on cross-country riding and it really did save me from being alone. All that to say, it's a special thing to enjoy riding and we're all blessed to be able to be part of it, even if it's for a short while. Life is short, get out and ride, enjoy it and be grateful for whatever you can do.

That said, JimW and Al Barth, I hope you both recover to the strongest possible and God bless you.
FastPappy, passx, Jim W and 1 others like this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 12:54 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Glad to hear things are going well for you(and everyone else). That same feeling of joy you had prior to your surgery is still there obviously and should be used as part of your recovery/therapy; body & mind.

Best wishes for you & everyone else that is recovering from something.

2013 FJR1300A
2014 Vstar 1300 Tourer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page