Riding season is over for me. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Riding season is over for me.

My appointment was cancelled today so I had a chance to go for quick early morning ride up to Idaho Spring and over Guanella Pass. A bit chilly early this morning so I pulled off at Idaho Springs to put on my jacket liner. That is where the early morning ride ended. I put the FJR on the Ground. On the freeway exit ramp approaching the traffic circle is where the FJR got tired. (See map). There is a small two inch curb with a concrete apron for the big rig trailers to ride on going around the sharp right hander before the circle. Normally there would be a solid white line designating where the curb is, but it was all worn away from traffic. The concrete apron blends in with the concrete on-ramp. Watching for traffic in the circle I did not see the curb in my peripheral vision. (no white line). The FJR tried to climb the curb and then fell over on the right side. ATGATT was the word of the day. My right leg got caught between the right exhaust and the curb. The weight of the bike was on my upper right ankle. Leg was twisted and I could not untwist and get out from under the bike. Trapped on the ground flopping around like a fish out of water. Lady behind me stopped and tried to push the bike off of me. No avail, just made it worse. The guy behind her stopped and lifted the bike off of me and positioned it on the side stand. By the time I was able to get up to thank them they were gone. Who ever you folks where, thank you. Leg hurt but was able to walk on it. Very little damage to the bike. Engine crash guards and sliders did their job. Guard is scraped on the bottom and slider is ground down a bit. No other damage. Rode to George Town to head up the Pass, but by then the ankle was too sore to use the rear break pedal. Decided it was best to head home and get the ankle on ice. Here are a couple of pictures of the leg on ice and the scrapes on the bike. A bit underwhelming for the pain that the ankle, leg and knee are feeling. Boot, Riding Pants and Jacket are scraped up a little but still servable. Knee pads and elbow pads work. Be careful and ride safe out there.

https://goo.gl/maps/arqJ4zcDimwetbii7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5767.JPG (269.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5763.JPG (416.7 KB, 47 views)
bounce and maximrebel like this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Here is todays follow up on my FJR oops. Turns out the score is FJR 1 Chuck 0. Today after my daughter fussed me out and my Wife' very concerned, and loving urging,
I went to the Doc to have the leg / ankle checked out. After the X-rays shots, turns out I have a Distal Fibula Fracture, on my right ankle /leg. And a lot of bruising. My season is pretty much over for the rest of the year. Six to Eight weeks to completely heal. Maybe I will be able to sneak in a ride just after Thanksgiving weather permitting. Had to take the pictures with a camera off the commuter screen. The Hospital software would not let me copy and paste the images off their website. One can clearly see the break. Got an appt with Ortho next week. And as a bonus, the Doc gave me my annual Flu Shot. Now the arm is sore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5768.JPG (421.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5774.JPG (416.2 KB, 29 views)

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Todays visit with the Ortho folks and more X-rays, discovered that I have in addition to my Distal Fibular Fracture, a proximal Fibular Head Fracture. A crack on the top of the Fibula Bone. Also they are worried about soft tissue damage between the Fibula and the Tibia Bone. They have me scheduled for a MRI on Thursday. Leg is in a splint cast and I am learning how to maneuver on a set of crutches, as they don't want me to put weight on the ankle / leg. Bones will heal on their own but if there is damage to the ligaments, muscles, soft tissue, etc. between the two bones then surgery might be needed. MRI will tell. Looks like I am for sure grounded for 6 to 8 weeks for sure. The Fibular bone and assorted soft tissue gives the ankle it stability and strength.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5777.JPG (420.9 KB, 20 views)
bounce likes this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 03:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Dang it, Chuck! So sorry to hear this! But I am glad it was not worse!

Yup the cage did its job! And that is a perfect example as to why we all should have them installed!

Kinda twisted, but great pics of the injury! They really tell a story!

Take care, stay off of it, mend, get better!

We will see you on the road again!
chucksklrst likes this.

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 04:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

I am sorry this happened to you. I hope everything heals up quickly and fully.
chucksklrst likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 06:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Condolences dude. Glad it wasn't more serious. Good luck with the healing process.
chucksklrst likes this.

Pappy-09AE
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 06:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ouch! We just don't bounce like we used to!
chucksklrst likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 07:20 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Sorry to hear of your upset. The Canyon Cage and Gaurald's sliders performed well. Darn unlucky with the ankle. Wishing you good and speedy healing!
chucksklrst likes this.

David

2015 Black FJR A
2009 Silver Roadstar Silverado S
2009 Silver Grey C50 CSE
2005 Black Silver C50 SE
1982 Suzuki GS 750 T
1977 Suzuki GS 750
1976 Suzuki GT 550
1974 Honda XL 100
Lil Indian 2 1/4 hp Briggs & Statton
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 07:46 PM
FJR Top Gun

Bummer Chuck. Sorry to hear this.

What good is it to live in a beautiful place and have multiple bikes if you are broken and cant ride? That just means you need to heal quickly.
chucksklrst likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 10-14-2020 at 07:49 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Chuck! Dammitol!! The bike did well, I'm amazed. But, yeah, best take the time off and get healed up properly. Hope that happens quicker than expected.
chucksklrst likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page