Can you NOT speed? Iím struggling... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Can you NOT speed? Iím struggling...

Anyone else have trouble not speeding? It seems that I simply cannot ride without constantly going 15-20 over. Iíve gotten a few tickets (got them fixed), but it almost seems that itís not enjoyable to ride at or ~5 over the posted limit.
Iíve contemplated selling my bike, but havenít just yet. I blame my background in trackdays and sportbikes for my ďspeed addiction.Ē

Thoughts?

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Sell the bike.
bounce likes this.

2012 FJR1300A
Madison, Wisconsin
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 10:31 PM
FJR Top Gun

I have no issue riding speed limit or speed limit +5, but then again I'm 70 years old, and got all of that speeding and street racing out of my system many years ago ( and quite frankly am sometimes suprised I survived).
bounce, maximrebel, passx and 3 others like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Not to much trouble with the FJR, but the GSXR1000 I restored yes. The bike has been sold.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 11:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I have no issue riding speed limit or speed limit +5, but then again I'm 70 years old, and got all of that speeding and street racing out of my system many years ago ( and quite frankly am sometimes suprised I survived).
It depends on where I'm at; I have no issue going close to the speed limit, but give me a clear country road with long winding twisties and forget it, I gotta go. But then again I'm with Ferret, I'm surprised I survived a few of my escapades.
passx, AzorRon and the Ferret like this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 01:44 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Can you NOT speed? Iím struggling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
Anyone else have trouble not speeding? It seems that I simply cannot ride without constantly going 15-20 over. Iíve gotten a few tickets (got them fixed), but it almost seems that itís not enjoyable to ride at or ~5 over the posted limit. Thoughts?
Mad German,

I had the same problem with my 2008. I blame the speedometer, which is rather tiny in the legal speed range. It's too easy to be ten or twenty over before you notice. I got a GPS speedometer from Amazon (~US$29.00 with free shipping). Feed it with a USB cord, nothing else, and mount it someplace handy. The large digits make it much easier to hold down the speed. I also avoid shifting into the higher gears in town, and that helps too. I can't cure your "need for speed," but this is how I stay out of traffic court. Freeways here can have 80 mph (~129 kph) speed limits, and the police often need some other good reason before they will ticket you for ten over. I do my rapid riding there.

Since I'm a veteran, I put a campaign ribbon (it's a small bumper sticker), valid for me, below my license plate. If you can make any valid claim, such as vet, EMT, Fire Department, medic, et c. then the right emblems or badges under your plates can't hurt, and might help. Several times I have thought I was going to be toasted, but got off with a warning. Gray hair probably helped a bit too, so if you got it, get your helmet off quickly and flaunt it, when you get stopped by the police.

HTH.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 06:29 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Most of the highways I'm on, traffic flows at 15+ mph over the limit, and I'll be on the upper side of that. Surface streets, I'm just going with the flow, maybe taking advantage of acceleration to open a gap if I end up at the front line at a stop light.

As soon as traffic gets at all dense, I don't bother trying to pass, whether on highway or surface.

'09 FJR1300, '85FJ1100, '80XJ SECA (heavily modified)
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 07:55 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

it almost seems that itís not enjoyable to ride at or ~5 over the posted limit.
Iíve contemplated selling my bike, but havenít just yet.

I have no prob going 'around' the speed limit in my Subaru .

But put me on a bike ( any bike ) and I'm a kid again , I ride with mucho gusto .

Honestly though , I feel more comfortable ( and safer ) passing traffic than being a mindless drone going the same speed .
It forces me to pay more attn and I don't have to worry much about what may be coming at me from behind .

Why you would entertain selling the bike is beyond me ............

George
sgkramar likes this.

2015 FJR1300 A
2010 H-D XR1200 , a Sportster on steroids

I wasn't born here in GA , but I got here as fast as I could !
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 08:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Bike very smooth at high speed and I agree it is hard to let the speed get away from you. I use cruise to keep myself out of trouble.
Ludwig61 and DJC72 like this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 10:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My brother will explain (at length) why he quit riding. It's exactly because he knew he couldn't control himself and would eventually permanently bin himself (a bike was replaceable). If you think you can't control your right wrist then perhaps walking away from something as dangerous as motorcycle riding on public roads is best left until you mature?
maximrebel, Gitbox, passx and 1 others like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page