Can you NOT speed? Iím struggling... - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-08-2020, 10:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
Anyone else have trouble not speeding?
Iíve contemplated selling my bike, but havenít just yet.
Thoughts?
hard not to speed on street bikes...if you still like "motorcycling" try to get a second bike, or trade in FJR for something ADV and off-road capable, you will loose interest for (extreme) speeding, since it's a bit more challenging to go fast on gravel, sand, mud, rocks etc...but soo much fun never the less, still motorcycling but with a twist. On hard pack gravel roads you can still go very fast, and no cops or speeding tickets
Didn't touch my FJR for the last month and a half, having so much fun with my '18 Vstrom 650XA ...try it maybe you'll love it more then "just street" riding

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 01:19 AM
Training wheels fitted!

When I put On louder exhaust I seamed to ride slower , now I can hear it running. Fjrs are so quite and smooth you donít realize how fast you are going. Can keep it down to the 60s on secondary roads now instead of 75-80.
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 07:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

At 73, I don't speed as badly as I used to, but speed limits in some places are just so idiotically low everyone speeds. If I'm out riding around by myself I'll use the cruise to hold it to 10 over just to try not to get any tickets. Heck, I speed on crooked roads in my RV; did I mention I'm old?
bounce, passx, Damir and 1 others like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:50 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post

hard not to speed on street bikes...if you still like "motorcycling" try to get a second bike, or trade in FJR for something ADV and off-road capable, you will loose interest for (extreme) speeding, since it's a bit more challenging to go fast on gravel, sand, mud, rocks etc...but soo much fun never the less, still motorcycling but with a twist. On hard pack gravel roads you can still go very fast, and no cops or speeding tickets [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Couldn't agree with you more, and your much lighter Wee Strom doubtlessly adds to the fun. My marginally lighter Super Tenere is plenty of fun on pavement or gravel.

Also, the Super Tenere isn't that much fun at Super Illegal speeds (lumpy motor) and with 50/50 tires (lumpy, noisy tires).

By-the-way, what tires are you using on your Vstrom? I'm running K60's but also use Mitas E07and I am looking at switching to Motoz Tractionator GPS.

Haynes

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 10:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
Couldn't agree with you more, and your much lighter Wee Strom doubtlessly adds to the fun. My marginally lighter Super Tenere is plenty of fun on pavement or gravel.
Also, the Super Tenere isn't that much fun at Super Illegal speeds (lumpy motor) and with 50/50 tires (lumpy, noisy tires).
By-the-way, what tires are you using on your Vstrom? I'm running K60's but also use Mitas E07and I am looking at switching to Motoz Tractionator GPS.
Haynes
Haynes, I am totally new to ADV-off roading (less then 2mnths) so can't give you a "qualified" advice on tires, BUT...my strom came with Continental TKC80, and I was surprised of how;

-they handle both gravel and pavement equally great
-don't make any noise, actually I can't even tell I have knobbies (on pavement)
-the only time you feel them is when rolling out of the garage
-good grip and great handling in twisties even at 100kph +
-great handling off-road and gravel (of course within my newbie learning skills)
-they soak up all the road imperfections (much better then my Angel GT's on FJR)
-can't even feel the tar snakes, cracks,and barely feel rumble strips and even Texas gates I now cut right accross the pipes and not aiming for those flat metal strips, everything is so soft and absorbed by tires and suspension (I didn't want to say it but the whole vibration/soaking up bumps/plushness etc is better then on my '17ES on "soft" and "1up with luggage" setting, which was a total pleasant surprise to me)
-when on gravel I drop the air by few PSI's as suggested by various ADV "experts"

in fact I am so impressed and happy with the TKC80's that I will probably buy another set.
So here you go all my impressions...and yes I also like how they look, agricultural tractor like or dune buggy-ATV look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200820_154736.jpg (746.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200820_154423.jpg (543.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200820_153729.jpg (428.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200903_153833.jpg (490.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200919_192344.jpg (616.8 KB, 9 views)

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
I love to haul ass as much as anyone else and yeah I do have a problem trying not to speed with the FJR, it's to darn easy.

But, as told to me by a former CHP officer a few moons ago...

0 - 5 mph over limit won't stop / won't cite.
5 - 10 mph over limit may stop / may cite.
10 - 15 mph over limit will stop / may cite.
15 + over limit will stop / will cite.

Where I live with easy access to mountain roads and pretty much year round riding I have ample opportunity to exercise my immaturity. And I would have to agree with Red in that a little respect or being courteous can go a long way towards avoiding those pesky court appearances.

as always your mileage may vary....
The problem with all these tips (especially the ones about staying below +10 is skate-city) is that they are all "officer discretion" which means they can as easily ticket as lecture (and worse... do both). I've been cited for +3.

And "under posting" speed limits (below the designed 85% rule) is a jurisdictional ploy to get more revenue. I saw roads in the east that could have easily been 70+ mph roads (design and environment) but which were posted at 65 or below. There's a reason for that. See the paragraph above.

http://www.mikeontraffic.com/85th-pe...eed-explained/

This is a metric that is documented and ingrained in highway engineering. They design to standard (curves meant to handle X speed, etc.), sample traffic to see what 85% of the traffic travels at (or below), and set the speed limit. When I was working in FHWA, I was shown the standards and watched a local city move their speed limits from 55 to 70 (when the state moved to higher state-wide limits - which took a couple of months). Then, over one weekend, all those 70s were changed to 65 in time for Monday morning commuters.

Obvious? I think so.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Last edited by bounce; 10-09-2020 at 11:46 AM.
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 04:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

I'm pretty sure my last speeding ticket was for 30 in a 25 in a little town called Brooksville in northern Kentucky. I don' think the cop liked motorcycles. It's kind of a gateway town to the curvy roads in that area and on weekends the sport bike riders blitz thru the town on their way to the twisties. He also noted on the back of the ticket that I wanted to go to traffic school (which i never said I did). They called to see when I wanted to go and I said I didn't. They said they would send the points to Ohio if I didn't go to the school. I asked how many points.? They said ONE. I said SEND IT! (knowing my record was clean and had been for over a decade).I think that was in 2002. Been clean ever since too.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I go along with some of the other posts: I'm old now, don't have quite the daring spirit that I used to. But I do use the speed now and then, like 110 to get around the semi and 3 cars that won't try it.

In the old days I used to ride my '69 Sportster hard, probably too hard and lucky to have made it without crashing it. I ground the pegs off at a 45 degree angle from dragging on the pavement so much. I don't come anywhere near touching the pegs on the Sporty anymore.
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by G P Jones View Post
When I put On louder exhaust I seamed to ride slower , now I can hear it running. Fjrs are so quite and smooth you donít realize how fast you are going. Can keep it down to the 60s on secondary roads now instead of 75-80.
I have a set of Two Brothers pipes on mine. One of the things I love is to hear those pipes scream...which is when I tend to get in trouble.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 01:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Since I'm a veteran, I put a campaign ribbon (it's a small bumper sticker), valid for me, below my license plate.
I need to try that.

I pretty much, traffic permitting, run 5 over in town, about 8 over on the highways, or at the sped of traffic, except in school zones. OTOH, a few years back, I crossed ND at 100 mph most of the way. It was a clear sunny day, very little traffic, and I could see forever.

OTOOH, when I transit Dallas on I35E (either way), I just stay in the middle lane, second of three or third of five, and move with the flow of traffic in the middle lane. I35E has a couple of double exit lanes on both the left and the right side of the road. I have seen accidents almost happen when someone got trapped in the fourth or fifth lane right before the 635 exits.
bounce and the Ferret like this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

Last edited by JohnC; 10-11-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page