Bike shops - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Bike shops

Had been about 3 weeks since my front tire decided to go flat, just got around to changing it out this weekend. Went to the Bike shop to get it swapped with a new one I had ordered and I was kinda in shock at how few bikes they had. They were usually wall to wall with various bikes and usually at least a dozen sxs and Atvs out front. They had about maybe 8 bikes, and no sxs or atvs.. said they had ordered but having trouble getting stock in. Hadnt really laid eyes on other shops in the area, but just curious if thats a trend anywhere else.

BTW was nice to get the new tire on as my other one was badly worn as I was squeezing the last few miles out of it! feels like a new bike all over again. Been working on septic, well and landscaping and crawl space issues a lot this summer so it had not got the attention it deserves. Sure missed it!

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 09:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hi Ron,

Same, here, at my local Yamaha shop... They had about 1/2 the stock of what they normally have.

And NO used vehicles!!! So strange!!

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Several large multi line shops around here are very low in units regardless of type. I swear you could bowl inside them without hitting much stock. Used sales seem to keep them somewhat above water. Bike auctions that dealers use are seeing increased bidding for units which means of course higher prices.

2019 FJR A
2010 FZ1
1983 Honda Z50
1975 Honda CB400F

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Yea the used bike availability really shocked me as well. After my visit just for giggles I had looked as far as 2 hours away online and there is very slim pick'ns right now for used bikes..Seems everyone learned what we seem to know, maybe a good way to social distance is to get on abike and get away from people..L
skippy344! likes this.

Ron

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 12:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Humans are nasty, dirty animals!
ronheater1970 and Way8lifter like this.

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yo buddy! You missed a great ridelastweekend and now that you have the old gurl fixed up, c'mon over to OBX this weekend. I have no idea if anyone other than Ken the HD Guy and I are going but WTH, why not? Chad the HD Guy says he's going but I'm not so sure.

What shop did you go to? I've been in only 2 all year and they were both well stocked with everything. I hate Thomasville Yamaha closed, I liked it there. Small but they stocked a good selection of stuff I use.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 06:57 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater1970 View Post
Had been about 3 weeks since my front tire decided to go flat, just got around to changing it out this weekend. Went to the Bike shop to get it swapped with a new one I had ordered and I was kinda in shock at how few bikes they had. They were usually wall to wall with various bikes and usually at least a dozen sxs and Atvs out front. They had about maybe 8 bikes, and no sxs or atvs.. said they had ordered but having trouble getting stock in. Hadnt really laid eyes on other shops in the area, but just curious if thats a trend anywhere else.
My local shop has basically nothing left to sell. The owner is a collector and has been putting old stuff from his collection on the floor so people to have something to look at.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Yo buddy! You missed a great ridelastweekend and now that you have the old gurl fixed up, c'mon over to OBX this weekend. I have no idea if anyone other than Ken the HD Guy and I are going but WTH, why not? Chad the HD Guy says he's going but I'm not so sure.

What shop did you go to? I've been in only 2 all year and they were both well stocked with everything. I hate Thomasville Yamaha closed, I liked it there. Small but they stocked a good selection of stuff I use.
Hey Russ!! I was in SRS in Greensboro, they aren't far from my house and usually treat me pretty good,

Yea I know the Outer banks trip, My brother is there through next weekend renting a house with some of his friends and told me I have room if I want it. But we are heading to the lake for the last time this coming weekend to camp for the season..I don't feel like Ive ridden at all this season, went on 2 short dual sport rides, and then that trip we took down for BBQ and thats it.. Pathetic.

edited to say I don't think I have been to the Outer banks again since 2004.. Wife and I got married at the Corolla Light house in 03. Have a 14 and 15 year old daughters who have never been and We only live 5 hours away.. Unforgivable..

Ron

Last edited by ronheater1970; 09-21-2020 at 08:09 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2020, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
My local shop has basically nothing left to sell. The owner is a collector and has been putting old stuff from his collection on the floor so people to have something to look at.
Wow thats wild.. Man something is driving the demand it must seriously be the COVID stuff.. get a bike and get out of town.
blast likes this.

Ron

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2020, 05:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

If you think the moto shops are low on inventory, go check out a bicycle shop- they're empty! The only good thing to possibly come out of this virus situation is that it looks like, at least on the surface, people are exercising more!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page