MY trunk took flight - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Garauld

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Unhappy MY trunk took flight

I was doing a ride to get the EFI cleaner thru. No, I was not doing excessive speed. I was going down a bumpy road and heard a clanky sound of my trunk bouncing down the road. I WAS SURE IT WAS LATCHED. Has this happened to anyone else with OEM Yamaha trunk???
It was in perfect condition...now it's scared up bad. 2009 AE was only a dark gray color . It's $766 from yamaha Bad luck is my middle name I guess

Last edited by jasonm.; 09-19-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 03:58 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

same thing happened to my father when he owned the FJR that i now have. The older 39 liter top cases had plastic bottoms and not re-enforced with a metal plate like the newer ones.
I've since added the aluminum Yamaha rack and the top case is solid now.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Mine has the newer metal reinforcement plate in back of the plastic...but the tab is still plastic although that was not the failure. I can only figure it had slightly lifted up when unlocking to get something out , w/o me realizing. Man ....$766 new still from Yamaha hoping to find cheaper OEM. Yes, I was so proud of it's color match. Yes it's a secure place to put your helmet. I barely put any miles on it since purchase, and now this.

Last edited by jasonm.; 09-19-2020 at 07:18 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 06:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Maybe a sturdy Givi 357 rack and Givi trunk would be a cheaper and more-solid option for the future? That combo (in basic black) should run you no more than about $350.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Question

I believe Givi makes the yamaha trunk. The ultimate cause was it seems Givi requires you to use your KEY every time for opening , etc. . And that's the issue...I opened it and must have jarred it. Correct me if I am wrong. If all Givi is still this design it could happen again. I checked the GIVI pricing The 357 rack = $160 + $200 to $350 for a top case similar size approx. 40- 47L

Last edited by jasonm.; 09-19-2020 at 07:39 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 10:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm. View Post
I was doing a ride to get the EFI cleaner thru. No, I was not doing excessive speed. I was going down a bumpy road and heard a clanky sound of my trunk bouncing down the road. I WAS SURE IT WAS LATCHED. Has this happened to anyone else with OEM Yamaha trunk???
It was in perfect condition...now it's scared up bad. 2009 AE was only a dark gray color . It's $766 from yamaha Bad luck is my middle name I guess
How scarred is it? (pics) If it doesn't have holes, sand it and paint it. No need to pay high dollar for perfect color match either. Duplicolor will likely have something close at a reasonable price. Nobody is going to notice when you are passing them at 70+mph

'14 FJR1300ES
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 08:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
If you run out of options, I can paint it for $120 - you provide shipping services.
NealC, Joey and 2GENAE like this.

"If ya can't be handsome, ya might as well be handy!"

2004 FJR1300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page