Aerostich vs Tourmaster - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Aerostich vs Tourmaster

Ever since my Aerostich jacket and I parted company I’ve been debating buying another one. They are a great company and they are made in the USA and mostly they are waterproof. My go to Jacket is a Tourmaster Transition 5. Not made in the USA great reps for the company and not really waterproof. What the jackets have in common is they fit me where most jackets don’t. Aerostich is 3 times the cost and will last 5 times longer. Big drawback for me is the armor. The Aerostich armor is too big and bulky. If they offered a D30 alternative I’d be all over it. So who wears which on and what’s your opinion?

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 10:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Only owned one Tourmaster. It was really good. But it wasn’t in the same league as my aerostich. With my RT, wind/weather protection was so good, I just didn’t need the level of gear I need with FJR’s. Once I tried stich, I swore I’d never be without it fall-spring.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 12:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
On my longer ride I grab my two piece Aerostich. Short rides the Tourmaster. I like the Aerostich so my packing is light. I can use it for rain, and just take off my jacket and wear my pants if going into a restaurant on the trips. Its a little bulky and stiff but I feel comfortable riding it. Im good up to about 90 deg with the Aerostich and very comfy down to 42 with a heated jacket. I was passing through Duluth Mn and had them fit me for the suit several years ago.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 04:42 PM
FJR Top Gun

Never had a stitch although they certainly seem well received and reviewed by those that do own them. I'm a Tourmaster guy and am perfectly satisfied with my Tourmaster's both solid and vented depending on temperature. Don't mind adding my rain suit if/when needed.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 07:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

I've never owned a Tourmaster jacket or suit but I did own an Aerostitch R-3 one piece suit for about 2 weeks. Despite attending the factory to be fitted, it fit like painter's overalls and leaked in several places. The good folks at Aerostitch refunded my money without hesitation.

I also own an Aerostitch Transit 2-piece waterproof leather suit and a 2-piece Klim Badlander suit. Both very expensive and they also both (eventually) leak.

I prefer "waterproof" suits over rain suits (which also leak). I don't like packing a rain suit or having to put it on at the side of the road.

It has been my experience that given enough rain (intensity/duration) every suit/jacket will leak. Buy what fits and what you like. It doesn't matter.

Haynes
bounce likes this.

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

aerostich

is this what you're looking for ?
https://www.aerostich.com/suits/aero...act-armor.html
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks, great info. You’d think Aerostich would have told me about this one of the many times I’ve asked. A great company run by great people but clearly an oversight on that one. I guess I’ll be taking a ride up there in the next few weeks.

I talked to our rep for Tourmaster yesterday. He said the next generation of the Transition jacket will be out later this fall. Not much details more than that other than it will still be a “waterproof” liner instead of a laminate. He said Alpinestars is coming out with a new laminate jacket. A laminate jacket will not absorb water in the outer layer so stays drier and lighter. I think most Klim jackets are like that. We are a Klim dealer but there stuff is “European” cut for tall skinny people and after trying to fit into several of their jackets I’ve given up. I admit to being built similar to a fireplug but I don’t think my shape is that out of the norm. The other thing is at my age getting a mortgage on the house to buy one of their jackets is out of the question.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 10:41 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Thanks, great info. You’d think Aerostich would have told me about this one of the many times I’ve asked. A great company run by great people but clearly an oversight on that one. I guess I’ll be taking a ride up there in the next few weeks.

I talked to our rep for Tourmaster yesterday. He said the next generation of the Transition jacket will be out later this fall. Not much details more than that other than it will still be a “waterproof” liner instead of a laminate. He said Alpinestars is coming out with a new laminate jacket. A laminate jacket will not absorb water in the outer layer so stays drier and lighter. I think most Klim jackets are like that. We are a Klim dealer but there stuff is “European” cut for tall skinny people and after trying to fit into several of their jackets I’ve given up. I admit to being built similar to a fireplug but I don’t think my shape is that out of the norm. The other thing is at my age getting a mortgage on the house to buy one of their jackets is out of the question.

ROFL!!!!!!!! Isn't THAT the truth! They are pricey. Good, but pricey.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 11:01 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I had a "Tour Rider" vintage suit with the "Early Warning" reflective fabric built into the suit, that saved my life one time.

Wrote the company about my experience, and they sent me a complete, new, replacement suit, at no charge!

I was so very impressed with that company!

I also wear a vintage Hein Gericke V-Pilot leather jacket.

But mostly it is my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket with the pads that I wear.

'06 FJR1300A Orion the Hunter

Greg
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 09:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Never owned an Aerostitch- too rich for my blood.

My Tourmaster jacket, however, I got on the cheap about 20 years ago, maybe more. I think it's a Transition model. Doesn't look too pretty anymore but has aged well overall & fits my gorilla-esqe physique well.

I've tried some Euro brands and, as someone mentioned earlier, they don't fit me right. The Euro idea of an XXL is NOT the same as an American idea of XXL.

Next time I want a new jacket, I'm going to give this company a shot & order one of theirs: https://www.vikingcycle.com/. By all available reports, good quality stuff, low prices. Lots of styles to accommodate just about everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page