Aerostich vs Tourmaster - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 10:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
I've never owned a Tourmaster jacket or suit but I did own an Aerostitch R-3 one piece suit for about 2 weeks. Despite attending the factory to be fitted, it fit like painter's overalls and leaked in several places. The good folks at Aerostitch refunded my money without hesitation.

I also own an Aerostitch Transit 2-piece waterproof leather suit and a 2-piece Klim Badlander suit. Both very expensive and they also both (eventually) leak.

I prefer "waterproof" suits over rain suits (which also leak). I don't like packing a rain suit or having to put it on at the side of the road.

It has been my experience that given enough rain (intensity/duration) every suit/jacket will leak. Buy what fits and what you like. It doesn't matter.

Haynes
Rain gear that NEVER leaks is the type you see on the deadliest Catch .. ( I used to be a fisherman ).
On one of my trips across the country I swear 5000 of the 7000 mile round trip was rain .. the only rain that ever hit my skin was when I didnt have the jacket buttoned just outside of Atlanta waiting at a stop light when BOOOm a 40 mph wind rs the jacket up to the side and buckets of water were thrown on me before I got it back in place

2010 FJR 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 07:42 AM
Farkle Trainee

Had several Stitch Darien jackets which were fine. Now have an Alpinestars 3 season hi-vz & a Klim Latitude summer also in hi-viz. As others have mentioned, Astars XL is considerably tighter than Stitch. Had to upsize to XXL but not so with the Klim. Klim by the way uses T30 armor which I prefer.

2019 FJR A
2010 FZ1
1983 Honda Z50
1975 Honda CB400F
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
Rain gear that NEVER leaks is the type you see on the deadliest Catch .. ( I used to be a fisherman ).
Yup, Reality TV is probably the only place you'll find leak-proof rain wear.
Bet it would if you drove 100km/h wind at it for a few hours!

Waterproof, or more specifically leak-proof motorcycle gear may exist however despite spending thousands of dollars I've never found it. Never found a Unicorn either.

Haynes

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Aerostitch is awesome just purchased my second Darian the first lasted 21 years. Had some repairs done to the first one and it will be a back-up jacket. During the summer I wear a Joe Rocket mesh a lot, but if doing any long rides into heavy traffic areas I will donn the Aerostitch as eventually I will go down again and I don't bounce/ heal like I used to.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 09:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I haven't ever been able to afford a Stich. At the same time, I've heard MANY reports about how "Security Squad Sized" riders were left to languish with Goldfine pretty much snubbing all but a very limited list of mods to help them fit.

With that option set aside, I have tried Tormentor [their black die always bleeds and dies hands (gloves) and such (other stuff)]. I also had other issues that I can no longer remember because it's been so long since I bothered. I tried a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and it's choice of "short waist" design (think Patton's battle tunic) made it unacceptable for any real protection (along with it's sub-part construction).

Once I tried First Gear 3/4 length jackets, I found something I could afford and was better made than the other ones I tried. For mesh I use Fieldsheer 3/4 length because it was so much better than the Joe Rocket in every way.
Versatek6 likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 11:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I wear rev’it mesh in the summer. Stich fall/winter/spring.

Rode to the office in torrential rain this morning. I mean pouring, with high winds. So much water it was hard to see. Wrecks every few miles from hydroplaning. No matter what I was wearing, I should have been wet. Only a magic spell or a car would reasonably be expected to keep someone dry in those conditions.

Arrived at work absolutely bone dry. As usual. Dariens and triple digit glove covers FTW.
Donk likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I haven't ever been able to afford a Stich. At the same time, I've heard MANY reports about how "Security Squad Sized" riders were left to languish with Goldfine pretty much snubbing all but a very limited list of mods to help them fit.

With that option set aside, I have tried Tormentor [their black die always bleeds and dies hands (gloves) and such (other stuff)]. I also had other issues that I can no longer remember because it's been so long since I bothered. I tried a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and it's choice of "short waist" design (think Patton's battle tunic) made it unacceptable for any real protection (along with it's sub-part construction).

Once I tried First Gear 3/4 length jackets, I found something I could afford and was better made than the other ones I tried. For mesh I use Fieldsheer 3/4 length because it was so much better than the Joe Rocket in every way.
I have to disagree. I have always found Andy Goldfine both very accommodating and a pleasure to work with. He and his company (Aerostich) are all about customer service. At 5’7” 180 lbs my Roadcrafter 46 Short jacket fit me great. They were happy to make the non standard mods I asked for when I ordered my jacket.

Seems everyone I know that uses First Gear has good things to say about the product. Wish there was someplace I could try one of their jackets on.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 09:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
I have to disagree. I have always found Andy Goldfine both very accommodating and a pleasure to work with. He and his company (Aerostich) are all about customer service. At 5’7” 180 lbs my Roadcrafter 46 Short jacket fit me great. They were happy to make the non standard mods I asked for when I ordered my jacket.

Seems everyone I know that uses First Gear has good things to say about the product. Wish there was someplace I could try one of their jackets on.

I'm not saying he doesn't make "some" changes for "some" people. Larger people can take a hike as far as getting fitted though. Heard it too many times from too many different people who hit that wall and saw that it wasn't budging.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I wear rev’it mesh in the summer. Stich fall/winter/spring.

Rode to the office in torrential rain this morning. I mean pouring, with high winds. So much water it was hard to see. Wrecks every few miles from hydroplaning. No matter what I was wearing, I should have been wet. Only a magic spell or a car would reasonably be expected to keep someone dry in those conditions.

Arrived at work absolutely bone dry. As usual. Dariens and triple digit glove covers FTW.
Being intimately familiar with Florida downpours that’s saying something. What type of pants were you wearing and were they riding pants or Overpants? I’ve been thinking hard about a pair of Aerostich Utility pants.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 07:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Darien jacket. Darien pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Being intimately familiar with Florida downpours that’s saying something. What type of pants were you wearing and were they riding pants or Overpants? I’ve been thinking hard about a pair of Aerostich Utility pants.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page