LED Headlights - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:02 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
That link shows up as H11 bulbs, not H4.
I have not been able to find the F2 H4 bulb on Amazon.

2007 FJR 1300AE ("Cerulean Silver") - 2003 V-Strom ("Pearl Orpiment Yellow")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:11 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatek6 View Post
IIRC F2=High/Low beam not a single beam/chip H4. My set (post 4) does not have F2 on the box but it has H/L beams. H4=Tab locations.
H4 9003 on a set and you are good.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:34 AM
Farkle Trainee

I installed these a couple months ago. The collar pulls off the bulb. You put the collar in headlight where bulb use to be. It’s indexed so it only fits one way. You do up bulb retaining clips then put rubber cover over collar. Then you index bulb and push into collar. Turn head light on and if you are out, the collar has holes, the bulb has a spring loaded ball. Just rotate bulb (One click at a time) till it’s indexed right. The removable collar makes it much easier to install rubber onto back of headlight, as well as installing bulb. Low beam has a shroud over LED so light pattern is good. All the guys I ride with say my headlights are not bothering anyone. I had to adjust lights down which was easy on my 08. My 70 year old eyes love em. I believe there 32 watt low and 32 watt high. Took a while for order to arrive (1 month), but worth the wait. Sorry I bought the Cree bulbs 2GENAE showed on his post.
2GENAE likes this.

Mooseman

Allstate 50, Bridgestone 50, Santa Barbra 125, 180 Twin Jet
305 Super Hawk, 350 Bridgestone GTR, CB450 Honda, 360 Yamaha Enduro, Yamaha 750 Seca, 2 x 1981 CBX, 2008 FJR 1300A

Last edited by Mooseman1.; 09-11-2020 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Forgot make of LED

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 09:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I used Clearwater lights on my gen 3.
I have found the stock LED headlights to be sufficient on my 2018. If I were riding a gen 3, Iíd put in evitek bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wta50 View Post
I want more light for long distance days that go deep into the night. Before I seriously consider Auxilliary lights I would like to upgrade the Headlights. I have a 2014 FJR1300. I donít want to annoy approaching cars or blind my riding partner in the mirrors when he is in the Lead.

I have yet to read a review that says LEDs are ready for prime time. Am I missing something.? Thanks in advance for any input.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

An Erudite review consistent with what I have learned so far. I researched auxiliary lights and they are prohibitively expensive. (Clearwater). Now I am back researching LEDs in the hopes I missed something and there is a solution. Thanks for your review.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 12:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have HIKARI eye of the dragon megatron ( yep...thats the name ) in my CAR the cool thing about them is you can rotate in or out to change the beam pattern .. 199 acura cl ..and with the the high beams on ..they are the brightest lights I have had on any car ..
on another not still have not been able to remove my adjuster screws so I can install in the FJR

2010 FJR 1300 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I'v replaced all the lights on my 2012 Blue FJR with LED. (the lone exception of the rear license plate light!)
(Please see the search text below if you want to know what brand I used.)

(search on Amazon...)
HIKARI H4/9003 LED Headlight bulbs, New Gen of Japanese CSP LED Tech, Adjustable Beam, Easy install, 10000lm 6K Cool White IP68

This is all anecdotal, but I'm happy with the lights. I do recall having to cut away some of the rubber boot behind the light to accomodate the longer, bigger, LED bulb. The best cut would leave that boot snug on the rear of the light.

Adjusting after: I found myself at a strip mall in a parking space facing a large, plate glass, window. A Ha! I could see both headlights, lit up, and each cast a very particular pattern on the glass. I sat there and adjusted both lights until both refelections were identical reasoning that the UP/Down tilt would have to be the same for each that way.

Later, I went out on a back road with no street lights and rode up and back many times adjusting the lights. I turned those nobs up/down as needed one full rotation EACH every time. I figured they'd stay in sync if I made the same adjustment (one full turn) to both lights every time.

Zen: The lights make a wide "bar" shape across the road with a dark space above and below. The horizontal line between light and dark was even and level, so I'd like to believe the headlights had the same up/down tilt.
I like to see just a little "dark space" above the "Bar" (on dim) in the road so that I know the lights aren't shining in the eyes of oncoming cars. (Some things you have to learn by DOING not reading.. light adjustment is one of them..that's zen.)

Empirical test: lastly , ride the same road (no street lights) when there is oncoming traffic.... many times. Observe the cars. Does Each and every car flash his headlights? If so, your lights are too high. My goal was to have an acceptable forward cast pattern as far out as I could WITHOUT other driver's flashing me to say my lights were too bright. My "fine" adjustment were full half turns of each knob.

NB: read the instructions on how to level the beam by twisting the lights right and left as you seat them. That bit is important.

I hope this will help someone. Please forgive me for pointing out things you probably already know!

2GENAE likes this.

- StratTuner - FJR1300 (2012)
"Time ... , why you punish me? Like the waves breaking on the shore
you wash away my dreams..." - Darius Rucker

Last edited by StratTuner; 09-11-2020 at 01:11 PM.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
I'v replaced all the lights on my 2012 Blue FJR with LED. (the lone exception of the rear license plate light!)
(Please see the search text below if you want to know what brand I used.)

(search on Amazon...)
HIKARI H4/9003 LED Headlight bulbs, New Gen of Japanese CSP LED Tech, Adjustable Beam, Easy install, 10000lm 6K Cool White IP68

This is all anecdotal, but I'm happy with the lights. I do recall having to cut away some of the rubber boot behind the light to accomodate the longer, bigger, LED bulb. The best cut would leave that boot snug on the rear of the light.

Adjusting after: I found myself at a strip mall in a parking space facing a large, plate glass, window. A Ha! I could see both headlights, lit up, and each cast a very particular pattern on the glass. I sat there and adjusted both lights until both refelections were identical reasoning that the UP/Down tilt would have to be the same for each that way.

Later, I went out on a back road with no street lights and rode up and back many times adjusting the lights. I turned those nobs up/down as needed one full rotation EACH every time. I figured they'd stay in sync if I made the same adjustment (one full turn) to both lights every time.

Zen: The lights make a wide "bar" shape across the road with a dark space above and below. The horizontal line between light and dark was even and level, so I'd like to believe the headlights had the same up/down tilt.
I like to see just a little "dark space" above the "Bar" (on dim) in the road so that I know the lights aren't shining in the eyes of oncoming cars. (Some things you have to learn by DOING not reading.. light adjustment is one of them..that's zen.)

Empirical test: lastly , ride the same road (no street lights) when there is oncoming traffic.... many times. Observe the cars. Does Each and every car flash his headlights? If so, your lights are too high. My goal was to have an acceptable forward cast pattern as far out as I could WITHOUT other driver's flashing me to say my lights were too bright. My "fine" adjustment were full half turns of each knob.

NB: read the instructions on how to level the beam by twisting the lights right and left as you seat them. That bit is important.

I hope this will help someone. Please forgive me for pointing out things you probably already know!

That was useful
in regards to those lights in my car .. they saved me a few years ago ..80mph 9 at night and 3 deer stepped out in front of me I was able to see them MUCH earlier then the stock lights would have allowed ..as it was I missed the deer by swerving BETWEEN the first and the second and anti locks engaged ..
StratTuner likes this.

2010 FJR 1300 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 08:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatek6 View Post
There are several knockoffs that appear to be identically constructed, like the Katana:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM421VC/

I've got a pair in my '05 and they have a wonderful cut off. They also do not have the dimly lit spot in the middle that the previous generation had.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 11:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Amazon has y'all addicted... there are other sources.
rbentnail likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page