Headed out on my "mythical" trip out west, in a car. - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 09:05 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
Dear Jim W. we've seen several Bison and Elk today riding through the Park, and got a few glimpses of some of the Hot Springs as we drove by. Though I appreciated your comments, your source was wrong about the light crowds, There are thousands of people all over this place, we drove around the Tetons for hours before finding the last campsite, and the same in Yellowstone, you can't get a spot in a campground and your lucky if you find a motel room. LOL

Still, we did find a dry campsite down there and a motel room up here in Yellowstone.

We have heard that the fires in California are not affecting the PCH because the fires are inland and the prevailing west winds are keeping the smoke away from the coast. I hope so, because the PCH, and Zion and the Arches National Park were three of the places I wanted to go most.

One last thing, if you are old enough to get a Senior National Parks pass, it's GREAT. Free admission to all the parks and half price in all their campgrounds. We have already saved a BUNCH of money.
Oops, sorry for the miss info, i read that somewhere & thought it sounded to good to be true. I personally wont ever step foot back in that park after my last experience there. Theres nice stuff all around there that doesnt involve crowds.
philharmonic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 09:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
We rode through Yellowstone twice this year on our way back and forth between our place in Montana and Colorado in August, then Utah, Arizona and Nevada. Saw plenty of smoke in Colorado (most of it locally produced) and smoke off and on in northern UT and WY. I do not remember it being much of a problem in southern UT. Here in west central Montana the smoke varies from very light to moderately dense. It's been pretty good recently. Thankfully, we are having a good year for wild fires and not producing our own smoke.

I believe Yellowstone is busier this year than most, and that with many fewer stores and restaurants open in the park. If we had to pay to get in, then we would have been pissed. We normally get to the park in mid-April or early October, and even then during mid-week. A fraction of the people there at those times. It amazes me that the Park Service does not appear to have a noise abatement policy that is being enforced. Many HDs running straight pipes that are ruining the experience for others. Don't go near the place around the time Sturgis is going on.
bounce and philharmonic like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-2020, 02:29 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Dear Jim W. we've seen several Bison and Elk today riding through the Park, and got a few glimpses of some of the Hot Springs as we drove by. Though I appreciated your comments, your source was wrong about the light crowds, There are thousands of people all over this place, we drove around the Tetons for hours before finding the last campsite, and the same in Yellowstone, you can't get a spot in a campground and your lucky if you find a motel room. LOL

Still, we did find a dry campsite down there and a motel room up here in Yellowstone.

We have heard that the fires in California are not affecting the PCH because the fires are inland and the prevailing west winds are keeping the smoke away from the coast. I hope so, because the PCH, and Zion and the Arches National Park were three of the places I wanted to go most.

One last thing, if you are old enough to get a Senior National Parks pass, it's GREAT. Free admission to all the parks and half price in all their campgrounds. We have already saved a BUNCH of money.
Phil,
Like many others on this forum, I have been following your adventure. Haven't seen a post in a couple of days, so hoping everything is OK. I hope you're so busy enjoying yourselves, you don't have time to update us. I have been on several adventures, and its always the adversities faced, and overcome that make for the best memories (although not so much fun at the time).
Just wanted to say "YOU'RE DOING IT MAN!"
Boomer59
philharmonic likes this.

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-27-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, we've been all over Yellowstone the past three days, and we're heading for the west coast in the morning.

We had a scare a couple of days ago, it was late in the afternoon. We came back to the car and turned the key and NOTHING. CRAP, got out and lifted the hood and everyone within walking distance came over and started to help, offering cables and advice, it was heart warming.

As it turned out after I found out the battery was good, I hit the dang thing with a hammer and it started right up. I had had a couple of "slow starts" in the previous week, and had purchased a starter motor already, so I snuck around while the people at the campground weren't looking and put it in. The only hitch was that I only had a small 3/8 drive ratchet and the last guy had arms like Godzilla. I thought I would never get the bolts off.

So it's on to either Wash. St. or Oregon in the morning. I haven't decided which. We wanted to see Olympic Park in Washington, but it's a LONG drive from there to San Francisco. We'll see.

The Time Out camper has been a challenge to stay warm in. It has an air mattress and the dang thing is FREEZING. My wife bought me a heated matress pad for it last Christmas, but it didn't put out much heat and then crapped out the second day. Other than that I had one of those electric heaters that looks like an old fashioned "radiator" and has oil in it. The little generator I have {Wen 2200w} didn't want to run the matress pad AND the heater on HIGH, and even after the matress pad took a crap, and the heater ran on HIGH, it didn't do much. SO, we bought a good electric blanket {and put it between us and the Iceberg they call an Air Mattress}and a MR. Buddy propane heater {4000 BTU, on LOW, and 9000 on high} and all is well with the world. It was 17 degree's this morning, and snowing, and going to be 19 degree's tomorrow morning. The Mr. Buddy uses TWO of those small 1 Lb. propane bottles {at 3.50 each, but it's worth it to sleep warmly, and I am going to get a 20lb bottle of propand and a refill gizmo as soon as I get someplace with a Walmart. LOL

Now if my crappy Ford, AX4N transmission will just hold out for 3-4000 more miles, I will be happy camper.
1911 likes this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 09-27-2020 at 08:58 PM.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2020, 10:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Well, we've been all over Yellowstone the past three days, and we're heading for the west coast in the morning.

We had a scare a couple of days ago, it was late in the afternoon. We came back to the car and turned the key and NOTHING. CRAP, got out and lifted the hood and everyone within walking distance came over and started to help, offering cables and advice, it was heart warming.

As it turned out after I found out the battery was good, I hit the dang thing with a hammer and it started right up. I had had a couple of "slow starts" in the previous week, and had purchased a starter motor already, so I snuck around while the people at the campground weren't looking and put it in. The only hitch was that I only had a small 3/8 drive ratchet and the last guy had arms like Godzilla. I thought I would never get the bolts off.

So it's on to either Wash. St. or Oregon in the morning. I haven't decided which. We wanted to see Olympic Park in Washington, but it's a LONG drive from there to San Francisco. We'll see.

The Time Out camper has been a challenge to stay warm in. It has an air mattress and the dang thing is FREEZING. My wife bought me a heated matress pad for it last Christmas, but it didn't put out much heat and then crapped out the second day. Other than that I had one of those electric heaters that looks like an old fashioned "radiator" and has oil in it. The little generator I have {Wen 2200w} didn't want to run the matress pad AND the heater on HIGH, and even after the matress pad took a crap, and the heater ran on HIGH, it didn't do much. SO, we bought a good electric blanket {and put it between us and the Iceberg they call an Air Mattress}and a MR. Buddy propane heater {4000 BTU, on LOW, and 9000 on high} and all is well with the world. It was 17 degree's this morning, and snowing, and going to be 19 degree's tomorrow morning. The Mr. Buddy uses TWO of those small 1 Lb. propane bottles {at 3.50 each, but it's worth it to sleep warmly, and I am going to get a 20lb bottle of propand and a refill gizmo as soon as I get someplace with a Walmart. LOL

Now if my crappy Ford, AX4N transmission will just hold out for 3-4000 more miles, I will be happy camper.
Air mattresses are horrible when it's cold out. And generally uncomfortable. I much prefer sleeping on my insulated backpacking pad which is 2.5 inches thick.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Nothing lately? Hope all is well.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

We have been camping in places with no internet, sorry.

If you haven't had the pleasure of driving down the Pacific Coast Highway, put it on your bucket list.

We spent a couple of days in Washington State, but the smoke was bad we couldn't see Mt. Ranier so we started down the Pacific Coast Highway. Unbelievable views.

We also stopped in at Humbolt Redwoods State Park and drove the Avenue of the Giants. The only place you can drive through the redwoods, with massive tree's on either side.

We stayed in Monterey and visited the waterfront, then San Francisco and visited pier 39, saw the Sea Lions, and Alcatraz, and drove the Golden Gate Bridge.

We visited Yosemite, but it's mostly hiking stuff there and the wife has a bad, bad knee, so no hiking.

We drove SR120 through the north part of Yosemite, {it was also spectacular}, on our way to Utah. The old 3 liter Vulcan Ford OHV engine struggled mightily, dropping down all the way to second gear as we neared the 10,000 ft mark, but she made it.

Tomorrow we start hitting the big 5 Utah parks, including Zion, and Arches.

Our sixth week on the road and we're still talking to each other. LOL

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

Last edited by philharmonic; 10-15-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page