So this happened.... - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 AM
Training wheels fitted!

One thing I have learned over the years when making this type of repair I use a bit of superglue in a stitch pattern to hold the peace together while the repair dries. This approach will help keep the project in alignment. I also use SG to help me with hard to reach gaskets, using just a dab here and there to keep the gasket in place while I reassemble it. I have also used SG to hold a nut, bolt, and screws to the tool so I can get them started in hard to reach places. HTH
Kenobi likes this.

Bus Ticket 2019 FJR 1300SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 10:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I would not use superglue on a gasket.

Superglue is hard and brittle while a gasket needs to be soft and pliable to seal.

Use grease to hold a troublesome gasket in place during assembly.
bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 06:13 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Try this super superglue...

be careful--stuff will weld your body if you get any on you!!

!!KEEP IT VERTICAL!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Current Rides: '16 FJR-A/'14 VStar 1300 Tourer /
Past Rides: '64 Bultaco 125 / '69 Honda Dream 305 / '73 Honda 450 / '74 Honda 500-4 / '78 Suzuki 750(Water Buffalo) / '82 Yamaha Seca 750 / '86 Yamaha Virago 900 / '94 Honda Nighthawk 750 / '06 FJR-A / '12 VStar 950 /

Last edited by AzorRon; 09-10-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: don't need file upload

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Might want to consider the possibility of drilling holes, cutting up some aluminum angles to remove the "angles", bending the thin metal strips into shape, then using fasteners to hold the casting together.

If the epoxy/cyanoacrylate a.k.a. Permatex/JBWeld etcetera fails, it'll likely happen as you hit a crater on the highway at 70MPH. That's when it'll be under the most stress. Had some poorly/cheaply engineered/manufactured aftermarket turn-sig mirrors on my sport bike and one ended up dangling from its wire entering an S-curve construction zone. Fortunately it wasn't my throttle side so was able to one-hand grab it and set it inside the cowling until I could get through the construction zone and off a highway exit.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Not usually a poster here as you guys know way more than I do about FJR's.
However my wife chopped the mirror off my 2015 GEN 3 bike with a garage door.
I ultimately had to replace the underlying brace for the mirror when alternative methods did not effect a lasting fix.
The mirror brace was $249 at Partzilla.com, and the repair required about four hours of extensive disassembly and reassembly.
My tutor for that snake pit of a repair was a good YouTube Video that took you through step by step measures, as well as what to look out for in the way of screw-ups. I saved the broken frame and had it TIG welded in a jig so that it might be used again if some such event as a tip over puts me back in the same fix. Hopes this helps. It's not a cheap fix, but it was a lot easier following along with the video.

Kenobi and natsmada4fjr like this.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2020, 08:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linton West View Post
When I bought my FJR I thought that the mirrors were far to tight on their mountings. If I am filtering I like looser mirrors so that if I clip a car mirror mine just folds back with no damage. I removed both mirrors, took away one of the washers and re arranged the others so that the mirrors are far easier to fold in - seems to work and if it should fall over far less chance of breaking the fixing.
Ditto, I believe the mirrors are one of the few things dealers assemble. No one should be surprised they get it wrong. Mine were impossible to move. Corrected that in the first week of ownership !
Linton West likes this.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiaudio View Post
Ditto, I believe the mirrors are one of the few things dealers assemble. No one should be surprised they get it wrong. Mine were impossible to move. Corrected that in the first week of ownership !
What I also did when all the cup washers were on the floor was put some grease on finger and thumb and give them all a wipe as I put them back, stop them going rusty and smoother to move.
When the bike rolled off its side stand (bad parking) and crashed to the floor the mirror just folded back and nothing broke.
bounce and Kiwiaudio like this.

2018 Phantom Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page