Idiots On Motorcycles - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Idiots On Motorcycles

I took the FJR on a short trip over to the Robbinsville NC area and four times over the last two days, I have had displayed to me that some people on bikes are idiots.
I stayed in Tellico Plains and after dinner Wednesday, I went up 68 South just to see what was there. Turned out to be a nice winding road up the mountain but due to it being nearly dark I didn't go very far. As I was headed back down, I saw a headlight fast approaching from behind. It was a guy on a HD and he was must have been going 90 mph or more. Unlike me, I suppose he's immune to animals on the road.
On my return trip, I ran the BRP to Ashville then got on I40 East. On three separate occasions on I40 in different towns, I had a HD rider pass me. Traffic was bumper to bumper in both lanes through the towns in each case and running 70-75 MPH. I saw no option but to keep my distance from the cars and wait it out but that wasn't acceptable to the HD riders because they all passed me wide open, went between the cars ahead of us then took an offramp up ahead.
I suppose all of them are now boasting to their friends about smoking the dude on the crotch rocket.
It's no wonder accident statistics are so high for motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 10:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

Glad you got that off your chest.
bounce and Bill Lumberg like this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 10:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

yeah, and not only on motorcycles, we can all definitely witness the increase in road rages, crime and rude and angry people venting their personal frustrations, especially in the last few Covid triggered economic downturn months, and it's not going to get any better soon, unfortunately.
Just watching the news this morning and the local police reported a 11% increase in speeding fines...everybody is in one damned rush to get places ... the good story in all this is that the "fast and furious" are helping the local municipal budget $$$
justacrossthehill likes this.

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT

Last edited by Damir; 09-04-2020 at 11:30 AM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Anger and Envy - like oil and water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
I took the FJR on a short trip over to the Robbinsville NC area and four times over the last two days, I have had displayed to me that some people on bikes are idiots.
I stayed in Tellico Plains and after dinner Wednesday, I went up 68 South just to see what was there. Turned out to be a nice winding road up the mountain but due to it being nearly dark I didn't go very far. As I was headed back down, I saw a headlight fast approaching from behind. It was a guy on a HD and he was must have been going 90 mph or more. Unlike me, I suppose he's immune to animals on the road.
On my return trip, I ran the BRP to Ashville then got on I40 East. On three separate occasions on I40 in different towns, I had a HD rider pass me. Traffic was bumper to bumper in both lanes through the towns in each case and running 70-75 MPH. I saw no option but to keep my distance from the cars and wait it out but that wasn't acceptable to the HD riders because they all passed me wide open, went between the cars ahead of us then took an offramp up ahead.
I suppose all of them are now boasting to their friends about smoking the dude on the crotch rocket.
It's no wonder accident statistics are so high for motorcycles.
I sympathize with your frustration my friend. I live in a very low population density area of Canada. I moved from a much higher density area. The difference in stress-levels is palpable. Deer and sometimes cattle are my only concerns - being extra-vigilant towards sundown is a must. I go on many rides nearby (loops between 1 and 5 hours) and usually only see at most 10 other vehicles in any given hour!

I have perused many different motorcycle BooTube channels and some videos are completely populated with (usually) younger bikers taking EXTREME umbrage at cager's behaviours. If it wasn't such a close-to-home issue and have potential for serious heartache - they would be fine black-comedy stuff! The anger is crazy - do everyone a favor and leave that s*** at home! Directed at all drivers no matter what your ride...

Of course I'm preaching to the choir here - I'm sure there aren't any hotheads reading this

Rubber down, shiny up! And remember, not everyone out there is trying to harm you!

'64 Huffy Stingray passion purple (dearly departed)
'71 skateboard with 3 wheels
'05 FJR1300A ABS (looks like some PO ran it through a mess of barbed-wire fencing!)
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 11:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

Interesting about people's behavior these days. People at least around these parts (Oregon Coast) seem incapable or unwilling to follow simple instructions whether it be while driving or wearing a mask to name but a few things. It seems as if some folks are just going nuts and I've heard many other people make similar observations. Had to go to the hospital for an EKG test yesterday and listened to the lab tech go on about people and their weird behavior as of late.

I really wonder what is going to happen this November 3rd, could really get super scary out there for sure. I've just never seen anything like what is going on at least in these parts.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
I really wonder what is going to happen this November 3rd, could really get super scary out there for sure. I've just never seen anything like what is going on at least in these parts.
The world is watching. Some scary stuff happening NOW down there.
Chameleon likes this.

2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Gone 2016 Harley Davidson Fat Bob
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 06:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Not to disagree with you that there are asshats on motorcycles everywhere...

but I'm sure that a high percentage of people that see me go through a curvy Ozark road without slowing down for the turns are cussing me and screaming 'he's going to kill somebody."

and... in their defense... I've seen guys doing a twisty road from the seat of my truck... probably running about the safe but quick pace I ride... and it does look pretty crazy from a 4-wheeled vehicle. I try to wave and be friendly. We don't want to scare people.

Now, I'm not talking about riding fast after dark or going outside of your lane... there's no excuse for leaving your lane.
Little Joe likes this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 06:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
there's no excuse for leaving your lane.
Unless of course you happen to encounter the other type of ass hat. You know, the ones who think they've mastered the art of texting and driving.
Chameleon and mattemike like this.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 07:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Uh, yes. I was referencing the robby-racer types using both sides of the road to set their best public road lap time. I was not talking about leaving your lane for a pass or avoidance maneuver.
Chameleon and Bill Lumberg like this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 07:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Uh, yes. I was referencing the robby-racer types using both sides of the road to set their best public road lap time. I was not talking about leaving your lane for a pass or avoidance maneuver.
I figured that. It was my futile attempt at humor.
Liquidsilver likes this.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page