Idiots On Motorcycles - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 10:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

What the OP has described, IMO, are mild cases of MC Idiocy!
Spend some time in here CA in the LA or the SF Bay Areas and this kind of riding is common place, regardless of the bike brand, style, type. And with Lane Splitting 100% legal, it is literally open season on doing what you want in between lanes at ANY speed almost with impunity. There is almost zero enforcement as the CHP has, I believe, still not given any real guidelines for lane splitting (they did at one point, but there was some legal(?) issue with them... not sure). I try to spot these guys before they surprise me and I just move over.

Anyway, I figure riders like that will simply run out luck eventually...
Regards, Mr. BR
justacrossthehill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 10:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's a two edged sword:

from a different perspective..... maybe they aren't idiots. Maybe they are highly trained and skilled riders and you're just too chickensh*t to keep up.
passx and Aran like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 11:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My experience with Hardley riders is that in the twisties, 99% of them end up in my rearview mirror and on the highway, I end up behind a lot of them, because I am not willing to split lanes and zigzag in and out of traffic.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
It's a two edged sword:

from a different perspective..... maybe they aren't idiots. Maybe they are highly trained and skilled riders and you're just too chickensh*t to keep up.
Yea, I'm too chickensh*t to put my life in anyone's hands but my own.
No doubt the guy coming down the mountain that night fits your description but him doing what I saw at that time of day, qualifies him as fitting my description. He demonstrated to me that his riding skills far exceed my own but I'm afraid he may not live to be an old skilled rider. Deer are very active right at dark and when you add a deer jumping out in front of you into the equation, all that skill might not help a lot.
Was in the triple digits on the return trip a few times myself but it was always where there was no danger of cars weaving because their drivers were watching the phone and I always had a good view of everything all around.
I've been at this since around 1965, am still here and mostly still in one piece because I'm not into taking stupid chances with my life. If you wish to, then go for it.
I won't mind paying a little higher insurance premium on my bike because of it.
LaHe66 and passx like this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 10:28 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Embrace natural selection. HD riders help fulfill a need for organ donors...especially the T-shirted and helmetless ones.

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 12:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Never could understand why folks still use hand held phones instead of Bluetooth. I sat a light beside some one talking on phone hand held of course cause thatís the only way they work and smoking simultaneously. Glad it was tobacco
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 06:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad 1957 View Post
Never could understand why folks still use hand held phones instead of Bluetooth. I sat a light beside some one talking on phone hand held of course cause thatís the only way they work and smoking simultaneously. Glad it was tobacco
I've found BlueTooth to be unreliable and a giant PITA. Search for threads about Sena and Cardo connecting with anything and you'll see question after question after question from folks trying to get things to work properly. Often replies sound like,"stick your tongue out to the left and hop on your right foot while spinning counterclockwise unless you're south of the equador then it's you're right foot and clockwise."

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 08:00 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Searching wrecks on YouTube helps discourage from sdubid behavior. I glean things from their experiences. At the thought of doing something sdubid, I also had the healthy habit of asking myself, "is it worth it" beforehand. (that was four wheels, as well as two)

Riding is risky. Riding attracts the adrenaline junky types. Not surprised to see cats weaving through traffic. It's sdubid, but it gets that fix. I limit my fixes to highly circumstantial/situational speed and curves. Putting others at elevated risk is where I attempt to draw the line. This includes racing... because racing isn't really about who's the fastest, but instead, who's the craziest. I don't want to win a competition on crazy. The YZF and FJR pretty much use the same brakes. But one is ~250 lbs heavier. Translation is, the sport bikes STOP... and wow do they lean over. Can perform a mildly hard stop with just a pinky finger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Uh, yes. I was referencing the robby-racer types using both sides of the road to set their best public road lap time. I was not talking about leaving your lane for a pass or avoidance maneuver.
YouTube searches convinced me to stay well away from "enthusiast" roads for precisely that reason alone. Blind curves in the wrong lane is just BEYOND sdubid BEYOND insane. That act should be automatic lifetime license revoke. Naturally, the videos of the oncoming wrecks never make it to YT... though sometimes the aftermath does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
Embrace natural selection. HD riders help fulfill a need for organ donors...especially the T-shirted and helmetless ones.
I was about to say, "let Darwin sort it out". Darwin (a.k.a. natural selection / evolution) is SLOW though. Motorcycles have been around but for 0.0000000000000000000002% of our DNA swapping time.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles

Last edited by Intuit; 09-05-2020 at 08:05 PM.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 09:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Speaking of four wheels, adrenaline and sdupid, have you ever ran up through a couple of gears, to get away from a clump of cagers, and before you know it, there's three of them coming up behind you at 95mph playing tag with each other. That's on a weekday, on Friday or Saturday night you start an amateur demolition derby, testosterone is a lethal weapon.
passx and nunia720 like this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 11:35 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yeah going even faster just to get around them only encourages folks. To avoid the temptation, imagine that it's your son in that group. Don't want to set a bad example for the often younger (sometimes older) folk with 1/10th of the experience.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page