FJR Owners Forum banner

BMW Motorrad Says It's Made A Zero-Maintenance Chain

5K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  mobilemike 
#1 · (Edited)
#40 ·
No harm in lubing... in my view keeps the grit out of the O or X rings. But there are those who don't and get good mileage out of them. Good idea to check for lost O rings when they get up in age.

#41 ·
Bring My Wallet! Never ever again will I buy a BMW. They can only make cars and should do what Mercedes does and stick to cars! I moved to Germany and thought German bike reliable! Not. Expensive lesson learned and everyone I spoke to has problems but they sugar coat it with "it's by design"! So every 3000 km you need to add half a litre of oil to the engine! Forgot to mention on a new bike! I'm back in the world of Japanese bikes where I don't need to keep looking at the dash waiting for a bulb to light up! Never ever ever again first and last time BMW. A sewing machine is more reliable. Sorry guys really upset spent too much money on repairs.

#42 ·
Manufactures have been doing this for decades. They remove the serviceability from an item and then list a replacement spec for said item.

Mercriuser and volvo did it for their drive yoke u-joints calling them perma-lube. Where a previous u-joint properly serviced would last 800 to a 1000 hours running time They replaced the joints with a plugged zerk hole. Then listed the service life at 200 hours. Many of those joints did not last even 200 hurs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.