BMW Motorrad Says It's Made A Zero-Maintenance Chain - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 08:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've never had an O/X ring chain I owned from new go less than 40,000 miles.
The DID on my GPZ was somewhere north of 54K, still in spec and kinkless when I sold the bike.
Yes, I did use many cans of PJ1 Blue Label over the years, so there's that maintenance. I also had to adjust it once or maybe twice (since it got adjusted at every tire change anyway).
Incidentally, I replaced the OEM chain on that bike at about 50K.
By comparison, we just got an '08 BMW F800ST to experiment with as a touring bike for the Missus. I checked with the dealer and it turns out that there's a recall needed for the rear wheel bearing setup. It's a single-sided swingarm so wheel bearings are a bigger deal that two-sided ones.
The price of the replacement parts package? $1200. Not labor, just the parts to rebuild the rear end of this belt-drive bike.
Good grief.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2004 V-Strom 650
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
2008 BMW F800ST, mixed.
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 09:51 AM
FJR Top Gun

that makes sense in a perfect world philharmonic. Any time two things come in contact with each other there is bound to be some wear somewhere on the softer of the two surfaces. Just don't know how much, if it's enough to wear the sprockets or not. If they truly have overcome chain stretch (and it doesn't seem feasible), that would indeed be a game changer.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 10:23 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Could this be BMW's exit strategy from shaft drives without admitting defeat and failure?

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:21 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

B M Trouble U, love it. Never heard that before.

2015 FJR1300A
2003 Hayabusa
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
I'm no expert, but the MAIN reason sprockets have to be replaced is that the chain "stretches" {the distance between the links increases as the chain wears, that's why you have to adjust the chain} As the chain links get further apart, instead of every roller contacting the sprocket at the base of each tooth and each carrying a small part of the load, when stretched, only one or two of the links contact the chain at any given time, which makes for a lot of wear on the teeth AND even more accelerated wear on the chain. Then, because the links become so far apart they can't fit between the sprocket teeth, the chain rises up on the sprocket and is in contact with a higher, thinner, weaker part of the teeth and the teeth start being curved toward the direction of travel.

Almost ALL of this wear and deforming of the sprocket would not happen, if each link of the chain continued to sit down in the teeth, and the power continued to be spread between ALL the teeth. At least that's what I think, my wife would disagree, LOL
I'm not a real expert either Phil, but with all the track stuff and enduro stuff I do, I'm working with chains all the time. I think if the inside of the chain lasted forever (like the modern, internally-lubricated O-ring and X-ring chains ALMOST do), the sprockets are still going to wear because they're subjected to grit that will slowly 'sand down' the teeth and reduce the circumference of the rollers. Then once that reduction happens, the load goes back to the fewer teeth, like you describe.

And that's why replacing a sprocket or chain separately is a fool's errand.

On my sport tourers, I get 25 - 30 thousand miles on them, using only WD40 to keep the rust off 'em.

On my dirtbikes, since front sprockets cost pocket change, I often put off replacing the expensive chains by putting a new front sprocket on as soon as I see a little thinning on the teeth. It gains me a few riding weekends on a set, but I wouldn't bother doing that on the street bikes.

philharmonic likes this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 05:28 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

BMW Reliability? Don't ask me my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
When they figure out how to make final drives that are reliable, maybe then theyíll have some credibility regarding a magical new chain.

I agree. I spent more time/money/effort than I care to admit repairing/rebuilding/replacing parts on the one single sided swing arm model I owned.

It definitely made me smile when I was riding it. However, It will take more than a press release to get me to buy another BreakMyWallet bike again.

In the end I was just tired of fixing it. And it was THE reason I bought an FJR
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 07:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

I find that the key to long life is not adjusting them too tight. If they look a little loose they are just right.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

Last edited by jjscsix; 08-31-2020 at 07:57 PM.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 08:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Call me a skeptic for the moment. Other chain manufacturers have developed link coatings as well.... chain maintenance is way less than it used to be and isn't really a hardship like it was in the old days.
So, will BMW warranty the chain for life? I'll betcha there would be a few conditions.....
It's the old argument. How do you define life of the chain? Well, 'til you have to replace it. Oh, OK. So the chain is guaranteed to last as long as it lasts.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 10:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Well, there is a specification for chain wear, typically measured by length over 20 links (to reduce error). This measures the wear of the pins and plate holes to an acceptable limit.
Kinking is a separate sign of deterioration and a sign of rust or lubricant loss.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2004 V-Strom 650
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
2008 BMW F800ST, mixed.
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 07:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryriver View Post
Well, there is a specification for chain wear, typically measured by length over 20 links (to reduce error). This measures the wear of the pins and plate holes to an acceptable limit.
Kinking is a separate sign of deterioration and a sign of rust or lubricant loss.
My old ZRX says in the service manual to hang a weight from the bottom run of the chain and measure the deflection. That would measure the wear as well. I used to lay my dirt bike chains on he floor and see how far they'd bend sideways. Of course, they had clip type master links, and that was easy to accomplish.

I always wind up replacing them when they start weeping reddish matter from under the o-rings. That's been about 20,000 miles on the Kaw.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page