Never Saw This Before: T31 GT - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Thank you @Boyitgobob ! Yours is the money shot which settles the issue!

Now I need to go outside and look for a red cord too!

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 11:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammieboy View Post
If a rider is finding the limits of them on public roadways, he/she is probably riding faster than is safe.
Yeah, but I haven't found any modern sport touring tire on the market that doesn't meet this standard. Most would be surprised at how much more capable the tire is than the bike/rider combo. And as you suggest, on public roadways you can find spots of diesel fuel or gravel washes that will beat ANY tire.

Occasionally I have the opportunity to take my sport tourers out on the racetrack (2up mule for coach/student rides) and you can get ST tires to melt and get greasy, but that's in extreme circumstances. It's a testament to how they design the tire to work with 'public road' conditions.

Some tires have different tread patterns that can give different feedback over different kinds of stuff too, like tar snakes. Someday, I'd like to do an analysis of why those feel so slippery.
N4HHE and Yammieboy like this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 11:24 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Tar snakes are slippery because, compared
to asphalt, they are smooth and tires can’t
get any “bite”. Hence - they slip.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 06:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've ridden on roads just covered in tar snakes where you can't possibly avoid them (California 36 comes to mind). Brutal. If they are overflush to the pavement and it's hot they will squirm, and you lose traction in the transitions. I don't know what's a real good tar snake tire, but some are better than others.
Liquidsilver and N4HHE like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 09:24 PM
FJR Top Gun

You want tar snakes? lol

believe it or not these the tar snakes in my part of Ohio are not slippery. You can feel them under the tires, but they are not slick.

I have ridden on some in Indiana that were slick as snot though.
FJRChuck likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I've ridden on roads just covered in tar snakes where you can't possibly avoid them (California 36 comes to mind). Brutal. If they are overflush to the pavement and it's hot they will squirm, and you lose traction in the transitions. I don't know what's a real good tar snake tire, but some are better than others.
The original Bridgestone GL1800 front tire was nasty. The first Dunlop Elite GL1800 tire was wonderful on tar snakes. "Why" is beyond the realm of understanding for mere mortals. There is nothing one could "look at" and determine how one or the other would behave. As we said in engineering, "One test is worth more than 1000 opinions and vuegraphs."

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK50 View Post
Tar snakes are slippery because, compared
to asphalt, they are smooth and tires canít
get any ďbiteĒ. Hence - they slip.
Tar snakes are generally raised above the pavement. Narrow enough we can't hit one square and ride on top. So the tire is lifted and rests on the snake perhaps 1" off to one side or the other from the center which was supporting the motorcycle a moment prior.

Can easily understand how this will upset steering but much harder to understand why it doesn't affect some tires as much as others.

In my case in the rain I'm pretty sure there was some slippage that doesn't occur on tar snakes in the dry.

About 16 years ago Alabama DOT repaved a 270į cloverleaf on I-565 in Huntsville. The contractor did a poor job resulting in pavement tears within a few days. Filled the gaps with asphalt and stitched the seams with tar. I hit it a week or so later on GL1800 in the wet. Squared the corner so I ht the patch straight up accelerating to 70 MPH for the main road. Tire spun on the tar snake. A little blip but was thankful I wasn't in a lean.

Searched for and found email address for ALDOT. Wrote that I was disappointed the pretty new pavement required repair so soon. That as a motorcyclist I have a learned fear of tar snakes and my rear tire chirped over each tar snake during moderate acceleration to merge on the big road. That had I been leaned to turn my motorcycle would have slipped sideways to unpredictable results.

They never bothered to reply but a couple weeks later the contractor was back. Scraped all the new pavement off the road and did it again, right. But just on the curved section.

Am guessing they pulled the asphalt too tight when they laid it down. That the asphalt needs to be compressed on the surface both vertically and horizontally.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 08:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The absolute worst tires I’ve ever experienced were Maxxis on my 76. Gl1000 Wing pitch it over in a turn and they may just skip/slide over an inch or so. I went back a couple of times to look at the road surface and never found anything. Tar snakes with those tires were true “short stainers”. Thank goodness they didn’t last long.

My buddy who owned the shop I got them through was also a rider (gl1000’s & gl1800’s) and swore by them as the best tire he ever used after the Bridgestone Spitfires, I used to value his opinion a lot, after the Maxxis experience I questioned everything......

On the FJR, all the tires that have been on it past the oe’s have been better than the rider and even the oe’s weren’t really bad past the very short wear & cupping. Truthfully today’s tires are mostly all pretty good, of course being older and not finding the thrill in scrapeing parts anymore has given me much longer tire life generally except for the oe “stones” but I’ve grown to not be a Bridgestone fan due to the oe FJR bridgestones and the “stones” on my 07 Camry hybrid where the dealer had a batteries & tires for life deal when we bought the car new, those tires generally lasted between 12k to I think the high was 20k, just terrible, the dealer said they had seen as low as 6k,they weren’t great tires. The dealer put a lot of tires on that car for the 150k that we owned it, great car ! Terrible tires !

Anyway,,, happy Thursday. .

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-27-2020 at 08:21 AM.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 08:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On my GL, the Dunflop Elite's were the absolute worst tire ever and many thought so... compounds are hard as Dunlops usually are, and they slip in the wet, easy to spin them with a GL1800.. Took forever to wear out though.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 09:33 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ahh tar snakes....making grown men's a$$'s clench since......well, since they were invented.
blast likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page