Practicing cone courses - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Practicing cone courses

Has anyone else used your FJR to practice cone courses? Has anyone been so crazy to get a 100-pack of soccer cones off Amazon to set up and practice your own courses? I might know someone that did that today...

I found an awesome collection of course setups at ConePatterns.com. For the first time at practicing this, I didn't do too horribly. At least I didn't drop the bike! On one course (Bow Tie), I was pretty reliably locking the bars as I made turns. But even doing that, it surprised me how hard it was to do some of the other courses were (the 9' cone weave doing U-turns, and the 12' slow cone weave). Maybe it's because I set up the cones in a cul-de-sac instead of a parking lot. And I know I'm at a disadvantage by trying to learn this myself from online videos instead of an in-person class. Maybe I'll find a decent class nearby later.

The twisty mountain roads are a little too far from me to hit every weekend. And I love munching miles around town, but this is another aspect of riding that requires skills I don't think a lot of riders want to master. I'm excited to practice something new!

Oh, and in retrospect, I probably should have removed my top box to do this. I'm sure that raised my center of gravity quite a bit!

2014 FJR1300
Between the beaches and the mountains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 09:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Good idea, I gotta admit, I am afraid of dropping my fjr doing this. I go out, now and then and practice slow speed maneuvers, and find a place almost every time I ride, to practice emergency braking, but I would LOVE to try this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
As soon as I started considering doing this, I ordered T-Rex engine and luggage guards. I'm totally expecting to drop it, but am hopeful I won't.
bounce likes this.

2014 FJR1300
Between the beaches and the mountains

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 11:15 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I vote to keep the top box on. If you are not doing it for competition and want to improve your skills... practice with the configuration you ride it in. It will behave differently otherwise and would defeat the purpose.

I'll practice steering locked corners in a figure 8 in a parking lot as I'm waiting for other riders to show up before a ride. But, I think it is a great idea!

I would expect to drop it sooner or later. Hopefully not... but realistically the more you push yourself the higher the chances go up.

The nice thing is that your street riding will advance quickly. The balance and handling of slower speed maneuvers is where most riders fail. I say keep it up... and invite others to join!

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 12:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
That is a awesome idea!!! That is absolutely where I need the most work, slow speed maneuvering. And it's funny for me, when I am in the zone I do everything correct and am confident. Other times I am so far in my head I forget everything I know and make every mistake possible. Anyone that knows how to ride a pedal bike can ride a motorcycle once its moving, the slow speed turns and emergency situations in store parking lots that come up is where the real challenge comes in. That and keeping any FJR below triple digits that is!!!

One other thing came to mind just now that I have never seen touched on before.......the transition from hours of freeway speeds and then pulling over for gas or whatever. There is certainly an adjustment there that for myself at least I need to be aware of. I have a tendency to come in either too hot on the off ramp or way too slow.
radiostatic likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500

Last edited by nunia720; 08-24-2020 at 12:18 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 05:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

An empty or lightly loaded topcase makes little to no difference. One heavily laden will swing a little during low speed maneuvers. I’ve done a fair amount of tight course work with bikes and four wheeled vehicles. Maneuvering is fun, and not hard once you squint through the sea of cones and discern the pattern and different problems they are intended to create. I am a certified law enforcement driving instructor, and now you’ve put this crazy idea in my head to play with cones. At home. You and I will be trading some PM’s
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiostatic View Post
Has anyone else used your FJR to practice cone courses? Has anyone been so crazy to get a 100-pack of soccer cones off Amazon to set up and practice your own courses? I might know someone that did that today...

I found an awesome collection of course setups at ConePatterns.com. For the first time at practicing this, I didn't do too horribly. At least I didn't drop the bike! On one course (Bow Tie), I was pretty reliably locking the bars as I made turns. But even doing that, it surprised me how hard it was to do some of the other courses were (the 9' cone weave doing U-turns, and the 12' slow cone weave). Maybe it's because I set up the cones in a cul-de-sac instead of a parking lot. And I know I'm at a disadvantage by trying to learn this myself from online videos instead of an in-person class. Maybe I'll find a decent class nearby later.

The twisty mountain roads are a little too far from me to hit every weekend. And I love munching miles around town, but this is another aspect of riding that requires skills I don't think a lot of riders want to master. I'm excited to practice something new!

Oh, and in retrospect, I probably should have removed my top box to do this. I'm sure that raised my center of gravity quite a bit!

radiostatic likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 08:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale I View Post
I vote to keep the top box on. If you are not doing it for competition and want to improve your skills.

Put a 110lb weight set (boxed of course) in the passenger seat too.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 04:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

See if there's a Ride Like a Pro course near you. I've taken it a couple times and it's always a nice refresher. The FJR handles it just fine, even with a loaded top box.
radiostatic and basicjim like this.

2015 FJR1300A
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 06:27 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I bought some cones to do this as well. I had read to be careful of some of the cheaper plastic cones (like the thin plastic disk type) as they can get slick if you drive over them. YMMV

<Apparently I can't post links yet.> I grabbed "Juvale Indoor Outdoor Agility Mini Sports Cones for Kids Pack of 50 Orange" from Amazon. So far so good.
radiostatic likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 06:42 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I use tennis balls cut in half which work really well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page