BMW at it again ! - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 07:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Sure, "initial problems then rock solid", I get it. Then there's those of us who played the waiting game, knowing it was just a matter of time until the ground spider bit. 10 yrs I waited and did preventative maintenance. I'm just saying that degrading posts like this slamming BMW or any other mfr for fixing things is exactly what Yamaha has done with the FJR. I guess some folks don't remember the replacement for instantaneous fuel consumption readout. Or the ECU replacement for altitude sickness. Or the ignition switch replacement b/c of crappy workmanship. Or the ground system recall and fix that just moved the problem elsewhere. Or just how many people (you included, yes?) that had clutch problems solved with a clutch soak. And the reasons the spring unwind procedure exists, and the Barbarian mod, and even Ivan's flash. You know, to solve all those nonexistent problems on "rock solid", "perfect", "bullet-proof" bikes.

IMHO some folks need to pull their heads of the the sand sometimes. I'm not saying the FJR is a bad purchase, far from it. But I've had better luck with other products.
Thanks Russ, but as a BMW owner who currently has BMWs 14,15 and 16 in the shop, I can take it. There is no denying that BMW has had too many recalls in the past several years. For the most part the recalls are for a part sourced from a vender.... not an excuse, just a fact. BMW seems a bit too wedded to innovation and fields some stuff too soon. However, I’ve been riding BMWs since 1980 and have never been stranded, and mine is not an uncommon experience. There is a reason that BMW has been growing its market share for the past few years when just about every other brand is losing in market share. Additionally, BMW ranks high when it comes to brand loyalty.

I have nothing bad to say about the quality and reliability of the FJR. I rode my 2013 for over 40K miles without an issue. But I never was able to get the bike so I was completely comfortable, and that plus the rather involved maintenance procedures (probably no more so than any other inline 4) said it was time to part ways.

I love the ergonomics of my R1200GSA, it is easy to maintain (I can complete a valve check and have everything buttoned up before most people can have the valve cover off an FJR). The engine on the liquid cooled boxers is fantastic. Lots of torque and not much slower than an FJR. Ride on.
jblanken64, rbentnail and Myfjr like this.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 08-23-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

"Additionally, BMW ranks high when it comes to brand loyalty."

So does Harley, so I would hesitate to claim that brand loyalty somehow relates to reliability.

Current bikes:
1973 Honda CB750
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A

Former bikes:
2001 Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit
2001 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S
2003 Honda ST1300
2008 KTM Superduke R 990
2011 Honda CB1000R
2014 Triumph Thruxton
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 05:17 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I bought a 2002 BMW R1200C in 2007. I put 92,000 kms on it before the driveshaft/clutch plate stripped (only 3kms from my house, phew!). Cost me $3500 by the time the repairs were done. 12,000 kms the same thing happened! So I fixed it again at the same dealer, same mechanic (options limited in Canada). Only cost $2000 this time. I was hoping the dealer would fix it under some kind of warranty but nope. Not a happy customer! And scared to ride it...and I loved riding that bike!

I went to look at the bike taken apart for the 2nd repair as they were waiting for parts from Europe. I looked at the clutch plate - Made In Lithuania. I thought to myself - what kind of clutch factory would be in Lithuania?? I asked the Service Manager about it too, "Parts are sourced from all over the world and have to meet rigorous BMW standards" - well how come it only lasted 12,000 kms??!

I wrote a long, wordy, specific letter to BMW corporate (you can imagine!) and their response? "Dear Sir - your motorcycle is 15 years old and well-past the original warranty both in time and distance, thank you for your interest" What a comfort from BMW! I wrote back, "Did you even read my &(*%@&^%&^%$ letter?!! They can sure suck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R12C & Summertime Cliffs 1080p.jpg (429.2 KB, 11 views)

Rubber down, shiny up! And remember, not everyone out there is trying to harm you!

'64 Huffy Stingray passion purple (dearly departed)
'71 skateboard with 3 wheels
'05 FJR1300A ABS (looks like some PO ran it through a mess of barbed-wire fencing!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ace Handler; 08-24-2020 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Bad spellery

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 06:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Thanks Russ, but as a BMW owner who currently has BMWs 14,15 and 16 in the shop, I can take it. There is no denying that BMW has had too many recalls in the past several years. For the most part the recalls are for a part sourced from a vender.... not an excuse, just a fact. BMW seems a bit too wedded to innovation and fields some stuff too soon. However, I’ve been riding BMWs since 1980 and have never been stranded, and mine is not an uncommon experience. There is a reason that BMW has been growing its market share for the past few years when just about every other brand is losing in market share. Additionally, BMW ranks high when it comes to brand loyalty.

I have nothing bad to say about the quality and reliability of the FJR. I rode my 2013 for over 40K miles without an issue. But I never was able to get the bike so I was completely comfortable, and that plus the rather involved maintenance procedures (probably no more so than any other inline 4) said it was time to part ways.

I love the ergonomics of my R1200GSA, it is easy to maintain (I can complete a valve check and have everything buttoned up before most people can have the valve cover off an FJR). The engine on the liquid cooled boxers is fantastic. Lots of torque and not much slower than an FJR. Ride on.
I must agree with you when you compare routine maintenance on a BMW to an FJR. I really prefer older beemers to the new bikes especially the wetheads and worse by far the K1600 bikes. I like my R1100RSL with its separate from the engine transmission and super quick and easy to adjust valves. The telelever front suspension with forks that require no service is pretty nice as well. That said I'll take the FJR drive train with its double sided swingarm and sensible drive shaft with one easy to lube U-joint any day. I do agree that at least for me BMW egonomics are as good as it gets and they just fit me better than any bike I've ever ridden but I'll keep my FJR and to my eye she beats the new BMWs hands down. Got good snort as well.
passx likes this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2020, 11:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Most bikes today are pretty darn good and every manufacturer has bikes that are better and worse than others. No manufacturer bats 100%. But get this. My ‘15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure started throwing suspension fault codes. I took the bike to KTM for diagnosis and was told I had a short in the main wiring harness and best solution was to replace harness and that’s big $. I told the tech that there are no moving parts in a wiring harness and it should last the life of the bike or at least longer than 5 years and 3700 miles (I bought the bike with 1000 miles on it a couple of months ago). Tech agreed and said he’d look into it. I sent an email to KTM stating the same thing. Their response, “ the tech already filed for a good will warranty claim and it’s already been approved, parts on the way. Tech called to tell me the same good news later that afternoon. I cannot say enough good things about KTM and the tech Drew at Rob’s Performance in Johnson Creek WI. Talk about a great experience! I know BMW would never go above and beyond to take care of a customer like that and I don’t think Yamaha would either. You cannot ask for better customer service than I received and I did not buy the bike new or from the servicing dealer. I am pretty darn sure the next bike I buy new will say KTM on it. They earned my loyalty.
Myfjr likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 09:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Most bikes today are pretty darn good and every manufacturer has bikes that are better and worse than others. No manufacturer bats 100%. But get this. My ‘15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure started throwing suspension fault codes. I took the bike to KTM for diagnosis and was told I had a short in the main wiring harness and best solution was to replace harness and that’s big $. I told the tech that there are no moving parts in a wiring harness and it should last the life of the bike or at least longer than 5 years and 3700 miles (I bought the bike with 1000 miles on it a couple of months ago). Tech agreed and said he’d look into it. I sent an email to KTM stating the same thing. Their response, “ the tech already filed for a good will warranty claim and it’s already been approved, parts on the way. Tech called to tell me the same good news later that afternoon. I cannot say enough good things about KTM and the tech Drew at Rob’s Performance in Johnson Creek WI. Talk about a great experience! I know BMW would never go above and beyond to take care of a customer like that and I don’t think Yamaha would either. You cannot ask for better customer service than I received and I did not buy the bike new or from the servicing dealer. I am pretty darn sure the next bike I buy new will say KTM on it. They earned my loyalty.
You are incorrect in thinking BMW “would never go above and beyond to take care of a customer like that“. I know of instances where BMW has done just that, and would be surprised to learn that other manufacturers do not also provide goodwill coverage at times.
Myfjr likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 09:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
You are incorrect in thinking BMW “would never go above and beyond to take care of a customer like that“. I know of instances where BMW has done just that, and would be surprised to learn that other manufacturers do not also provide goodwill coverage at times.
My brief experience owning a BMW was a corporate attitude of deny and denial. Every warranty issue was met with resistance and stone walling by several different dealers. I agree other manufacturers including Yamaha might go the extra mile for a customer, I do not agree that BMW is one of them. In addition the quality of their bikes has slipped terribly and is not what it was 10 years ago.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 06:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

All manufacturers have issues, some dealers will go an extra mile. As for Katoom's I know of a few who complain they are high maintenance. I'd only own a BMW R bike if I were to have one... and if you can dig in and find out how to do your own repairs, you'll save some coin. I pity those who take them to the dealers for regular service, my wallet ain't that big.
I surveyed a number of BMW owners who gather at a local bike meeting spot... they start out doing their own oil changes (K bikes), realize how much time/labour is involved, and just resign themselves to taking it to the dealer.... $300 later... not for me, it may take more time, but I'd do that myself and get the computer gadget to do most other things too. Lots of workarounds the Beemer owners share to avoid going to the dealer.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 10:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Dealers can be expensive, regardless of brands. Some brands are making it so you have to go to the dealer or get used to looking at a service reminder on the dash.
Kaboom valve service intervals are 18k vs 26k for Yamaha so I guess higher maintenance although there are less valves to service. Oil changes and everything else is about equal.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page