'18 VStrom 650XT - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 11:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
After spending the weekend on the FJR, the Vstrom feels like a dirt bike.
LOL, that made me laugh.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Thank you basic***
...........so what is the solution for electrical power? bigger or additional battery?
I looked at producing more power, but all the aftermarket parts seem to have an EXTREMELY high failure rate, so that isn't a solutions.

I installed a USB port with a digital voltmeter so I can watch where I am at. I also installed switches to cut out each set of lights. (ie. I only use my big lights when I am not running my smaller lights or my heated gear).

My other solution was to install an FJR. Rather than try to farkle out my V-Strom and make it a touring bike, I bought a FJR to be my touring bike and I am keeping the V-Strom more basic and utilitarian.

That being said, next year I am riding the V-STROM (not the FJR) from Ohio to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. My brother is riding a KLR and I don't want to double his CC. Also, we plan on putting on knobbys in Fairbanks to do the Dalton Hwy. Not sure how Knobbys would work on a FJR!!
Damir likes this.

2006 FJR1300
2017 V-Strom 650 XT
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicjim View Post
I looked at producing more power, but all the aftermarket parts seem to have an EXTREMELY high failure rate, so that isn't a solutions.

I installed a USB port with a digital voltmeter so I can watch where I am at. I also installed switches to cut out each set of lights. (ie. I only use my big lights when I am not running my smaller lights or my heated gear).

My other solution was to install an FJR. Rather than try to farkle out my V-Strom and make it a touring bike, I bought a FJR to be my touring bike and I am keeping the V-Strom more basic and utilitarian.

That being said, next year I am riding the V-STROM (not the FJR) from Ohio to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. My brother is riding a KLR and I don't want to double his CC. Also, we plan on putting on knobbys in Fairbanks to do the Dalton Hwy. Not sure how Knobbys would work on a FJR!!
I read once that those USB adapters with voltage meter are not accurate, and they don't give you a true battery condition. Yesterday I came across another gadget (not sure how got it is) "12V Bluetooth battery monitor" here in Canada currently at $39.99 at Princess Auto

here is one of many on Amazon.ca:

I see you also have the same dilemma every day like me; "which bike should I ride?" after a month of my 650XA ownership I've ridden my FJR only twice, the Strom is so sweet and the whole ADV / gravel is all new to me and I enjoy it very much.

Yes FJR on knobbys let us know if you ever try ?

AS far as more electricity, I guess a additional Shorai LFX Lithium Battery - LFX07L2-BS12 only half the regular battery Weight: 0.93 lbs (0.42 kg)

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

First day of Fall, what's better way to experience the nature changing colors, then on two wheels.
Alberta is truly beautiful, clean air, clean water....heaven on earth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200921_221854.jpg (610.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200921_222753.jpg (582.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200921_220751.jpg (641.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200921_221026.jpg (705.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200921_221307.jpg (560.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200919_201021.jpg (502.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200919_192344.jpg (616.8 KB, 6 views)

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 08:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
First day of Fall, what's better way to experience the nature changing colors, then on two wheels.
Alberta is truly beautiful, clean air, clean water....heaven on earth
Place is hideous, dont know how you could stand to live near such a horrible place. You must contemplate moving often!

Back in 2014 I bought a Versys 650 (Kawasaki's version of the Strom) as an "In between bike". My Buell Uly that I loved, was giving me trust issues, even though it never once failed me.
SO they had a 2014 modle on the cheap and I Was also looking at vstroms. I say this because I was really concerned that the 650 twin wouldnt have enough power to keep me happy. I think the Versys and Strom 650 were pretty even back then, Upper 60's if I believe. I have to say I really enjoyed that bike. I even took it on some of the rooted trails behind my house with its street oriented tires and it dod really well. I believe the Strom to be the better Bike for Gravel and occasional dirt exploration especially with some TKC's or similar tires. I feel the Strom had more plush suspension as the VErsys was like a road wagon even with the shock softened as much as possible on the rear it still would bounce you off the seat on any kind of pavement abnormality. I had kinda thought about getting a strom. I really like the New Stroms the 1050.. They took their styling cue off the old DR BIG!

I have a DR 650 also and do a fair amount of dual sporting with my son on his , but its not as enjoyable as the FJR to ride for 6 hours down the interstate to get to the meetup spot so a Strom would be better I think.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater1970 View Post
Place is hideous, dont know how you could stand to live near such a horrible place. You must contemplate moving often!

Back in 2014 I bought a Versys 650 (Kawasaki's version of the Strom) as an "In between bike". My Buell Uly that I loved, was giving me trust issues, even though it never once failed me.
SO they had a 2014 modle on the cheap and I Was also looking at vstroms. I say this because I was really concerned that the 650 twin wouldnt have enough power to keep me happy. I think the Versys and Strom 650 were pretty even back then, Upper 60's if I believe. I have to say I really enjoyed that bike. I even took it on some of the rooted trails behind my house with its street oriented tires and it dod really well. I believe the Strom to be the better Bike for Gravel and occasional dirt exploration especially with some TKC's or similar tires. I feel the Strom had more plush suspension as the VErsys was like a road wagon even with the shock softened as much as possible on the rear it still would bounce you off the seat on any kind of pavement abnormality. I had kinda thought about getting a strom. I really like the New Stroms the 1050.. They took their styling cue off the old DR BIG!

I have a DR 650 also and do a fair amount of dual sporting with my son on his , but its not as enjoyable as the FJR to ride for 6 hours down the interstate to get to the meetup spot so a Strom would be better I think.
Ha,ha yes Ron I am getting tired of all this "clean nature thing" and seriously considering to move to some "urban polluted industrial suburb"

I was also looking at Versys but this Strom650 came for sale and I grabbed it within 12hrs since posted on Kijiji, didn't even test ride it, the seller had only one phone call - me.
In the last 10yrs I had Wing1600, Honda 1100XX, FJR1300 blue, 1400Concurse, Wing1800 and (current)FJR1300 silver....so all powerhouses and I never thought I will get something in 650, but glad I did. I was (and still am after about a month of ownership) pleasantly surprised and impressed in the way this Suzuki VStrom 650XA;
-pulls in any gear
-road handling at speed 120kph and up is excellent even with those TKC80 knobbies
-ergonomics are good for my 5' 11" (I will still get 1" pullback risers for standing up)
-bike is very steady on road and on packed gravel roads
-OE windscreen does a great job despite the small size (I got a bit excited about getting my first farkle and picked up a Givi Airflow that I installed on the lowest screw holes and on the lowest slider setting, and honestly in retrospect I even didn't need it, but oh well it looks better )
-suspension soaks up all the bumps and the bike doesn't even rattle when crossing Texas gates or rumble strips, it provides a very comparable and plush ride as my FJR1300ES (on soft)
-suspension is also very good off road for me (185lbs) and is predictable, of course this bike cannot compete with dirt bikes (needs another 3-4" of ground clearance) but for some moderate off-roading is just fine (to me)
-wind and weather protection is excellent, just a bit of wind over my arms
-fuel range is impressive with (Vstrom computer) estimated range of about 524km
-it has Traction control, ABS, Anti-stall or auto rpm increase at take off, heated grips
-brakes are a little mushy but you get used to it, and it's great on gravel, because they don't bite hard
-so (for the price) this 650 has great things going, and with some upgrades (suspension, steering dampener, seat, bigger and lower pegs, bar risers and maybe hydraulic clutch or quick-shifter) it will become even more capable bike.
As you can see by the bikes I owned, I am pretty spoiled and this 650XA managed to impress me in many ways, so if you are on the fence, go for a test ride I think you'll like it very much.
They say; "it's more fun to ride slow bike fast, than it's to ride fast bike slow"
Cheers Damir

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT

Last edited by Damir; 09-22-2020 at 11:08 AM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Ha,ha yes Ron I am getting tired of all this "clean nature thing" and seriously considering to move to some "urban polluted industrial suburb"

I was also looking at Versys but this Strom650 came for sale and I grabbed it within 12hrs since posted on Kijiji, didn't even test ride it, the seller had only one phone call - me.
In the last 10yrs I had Wing1600, Honda 1100XX, FJR1300 blue, 1400Concurse, Wing1800 and (current)FJR1300 silver....so all powerhouses and I never thought I will get something in 650, but glad I did. I was (and still am after about a month of ownership) pleasantly surprised and impressed in the way this Suzuki VStrom 650XA;
-pulls in any gear
-road handling at speed 120kph and up is excellent even with those TKC80 knobbies
-ergonomics are good for my 5' 11" (I will still get 1" pullback risers for standing up)
-bike is very steady on road and on packed gravel roads
-OE windscreen does a great job despite the small size (I got a bit excited about getting my first farkle and picked up a Givi Airflow that I installed on the lowest screw holes and on the lowest slider setting, and honestly in retrospect I even didn't need it, but oh well it looks better )
-suspension soaks up all the bumps and the bike doesn't even rattle when crossing Texas gates or rumble strips, it provides a very comparable and plush ride as my FJR1300ES (on soft)
-suspension is also very good off road for me (185lbs) and is predictable, of course this bike cannot compete with dirt bikes (needs another 3-4" of ground clearance) but for some moderate off-roading is just fine (to me)
-wind and weather protection is excellent, just a bit of wind over my arms
-fuel range is impressive with (Vstrom computer) estimated range of about 524km
-it has Traction control, ABS, Anti-stall or auto rpm increase at take off, heated grips
-brakes are a little mushy but you get used to it, and it's great on gravel, because they don't bite hard
-so (for the price) this 650 has great things going, and with some upgrades (suspension, steering dampener, seat, bigger and lower pegs, bar risers and maybe hydraulic clutch or quick-shifter) it will become even more capable bike.
As you can see by the bikes I owned, I am pretty spoiled and this 650XA managed to impress me in many ways, so if you are on the fence, go for a test ride I think you'll like it very much.
They say; "it's more fun to ride slow bike fast, than it's to ride fast bike slow"
Cheers Damir
The only thing stopping me is we do some occasional rough single track. I have sense come to grips with the 650, even the single 650 having roughly 44HP is plenty to tour at 75 MPH and hit the hills etc.. But the idea of somethign a little more road oriented for travel "TO" those places is tempting. I had conetemplated letting go of the FJR and the DR and get something a little of both like a Super T 1200 or something, but I like the FJR too much and after som inner discussions with myself not sure I want a 580 pound bike to do moderat off road with.. But now they have the Tenere 700...Hmmmmm!

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-22-2020, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater1970 View Post
The only thing stopping me is we do some occasional rough single track. I have sense come to grips with the 650, even the single 650 having roughly 44HP is plenty to tour at 75 MPH and hit the hills etc.. But the idea of somethign a little more road oriented for travel "TO" those places is tempting. I had conetemplated letting go of the FJR and the DR and get something a little of both like a Super T 1200 or something, but I like the FJR too much and after som inner discussions with myself not sure I want a 580 pound bike to do moderat off road with.. But now they have the Tenere 700...Hmmmmm!
Ha,ha dilemmas, lot's to choose from, from what I see they still didn't produce a "do-it-all" bike, so in the meantime there is nothing wrong in having 3 bikes (I had 3 a couple of yrs ago, mind you they were all touring)
Bottom line is today's modern bikes are all good and fun, and they re-sale for good $$$

I am on good track, I just worry that #3 may bring broken bones, and they are not exactly quick healing anymore
1) '17 FJR1300 ES (check)
2) '18 Vstrom 650XA (check)
3)
maximrebel likes this.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT

Last edited by Damir; 09-22-2020 at 12:12 PM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-24-2020, 05:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Cant go wrong with a FJR and a V-Strom 650. And don't worry about having Three Bikes in the garage. (I have four) How many motorcycles does a man need? One more than he already has.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_5417.JPG (423.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5415.JPG (419.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_5416.JPG (420.0 KB, 5 views)
maximrebel and Damir like this.

Chuck Henderson (US Army RET 1968-1991) (Forever Home Ė Colorado) STOC# 086, KLRST# 001
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 Versys 300X(Little Gray Bike) 19 Versys 1000LT SE (Flying Nun) 13 Vstrom 650(Wee III)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page