'18 VStrom 650XT - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 03:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm on my second Vstrom. First was a '12 that I bought new in '13. Bought a '17 in February with 2300 miles. Sold the '12 this summer with 110,000 miles on it. The Vstrom is the perfect compliment to my FJR. The swiss army knife of motorcycles.
A center stand will make your life so much easier.
Suspension upgrades will make it a much better machine. The forks will need at a minimum heavier springs. Same on the shock. I also installed Gold Valve emulators in the forks and sent the shock to http://www.adventurepowersports.us/home.html to have Jay install the correct spring and do his magic on the shock. Other then upgrading the suspension, everything else is comfort/style/appearance.
Stromtroopers is a great site for Vstrom data. Don't know what about the site you don't like.
maximrebel and Damir like this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximrebel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
a few more nice Vstrom pictures from beautiful Alberta [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Will you quit posting these amazing pics while I'm at work please??? Sheesh, it's very hard to concentrate when all I wanna do is go there and ride. Btw, it's only going be 104F here today, and I see that it is 65F where you are...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG]

J/K obviously, great pics and I may be looking to add a 650XT at some point soon myself. Ride on!!!
Ha ha sorry Max I always assume we are all retired on this forum 🙂 cheers
maximrebel likes this.

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
I'm on my second Vstrom. First was a '12 that I bought new in '13. Bought a '17 in February with 2300 miles. Sold the '12 this summer with 110,000 miles on it. The Vstrom is the perfect compliment to my FJR. The swiss army knife of motorcycles.
A center stand will make your life so much easier.
Suspension upgrades will make it a much better machine. The forks will need at a minimum heavier springs. Same on the shock. I also installed Gold Valve emulators in the forks and sent the shock to http://www.adventurepowersports.us/home.html to have Jay install the correct spring and do his magic on the shock. Other then upgrading the suspension, everything else is comfort/style/appearance.
Stromtroopers is a great site for Vstrom data. Don't know what about the site you don't like.
Yes will be getting some stiffer springs, too bad the front is not adjustable.
It's just the layout of the Strom forum website, I just have to get used to it that's all, I am sure there is a wealth of information, and probably "a few" treads on oil and tires 😄
110.000 miles wow...do you ever walk or sleep ha,ha

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 05:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Yes will be getting some stiffer springs, too bad the front is not adjustable.
It's just the layout of the Strom forum website, I just have to get used to it that's all, I am sure there is a wealth of information, and probably "a few" treads on oil and tires 😄
110.000 miles wow...do you ever walk or sleep ha,ha
Why walk or sleep when you can ride?
I also have 59,000 mi on my '15 FJR that I bought new in '16.
Damir likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I really like that after 2017 Suzuki dropped the exhaust to make room for two full size panniers, much better then the old (up to 2016) "uneven panniers", resulting in more storage space and more symmetrical look from behind. I am also guessing that the "lower exhaust" will prevent the fumes (and noise) from creeping behind the rider and pillion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 vs 2018 Vstrom paniers.jpg (167.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 vs 2018 Vstrom exhaust.jpg (127.1 KB, 13 views)

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 09:29 AM
Farkle Trainee

The total storage is the same.
Never heard anyone complain about exhaust fumes or noise so I don't know if that is an improvement.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Took my FJR for a quick ride yesterday, after ridding my new Strom 650xt for a week or so, every day, ...MAN OH MAN... it was like ridding a RHINO nearly dropped it pulling a U-turn, the input into the handlebars is like a "lifting weights" compared to the Strom. Yes for sure they are two quite different machines and one really has to get the solid footing when switching from a lighter bike. Love them both, the great turbine engine and the twin 650 character both equally fun.
Now the BIG question is: "which one to ride today?" :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200830_223656.jpg (257.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200830_224530.jpg (313.3 KB, 14 views)

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 09:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

After spending the weekend on the FJR, the Vstrom feels like a dirt bike.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 03:09 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Hey! Congrats on the new bike! I have the '17 VStrom 650XT and I love it. I did a few rallies with it and parts of the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail with it. She's a little heavy on sand, but did everything else I asked of her!

I have Kappa side panniers and a Givi top case, Dash, and 2 sets of aux lighting. I would caution you to look at your farkle power closely as extra lighting as the EEC got used up REALLY quick on my '17. I can run my heated gear on the bike with 1 set of lights, but if I turn on the other set, the bike can't produce enough power to keep the battery charged.

Besides that, it's a GREAT bike!

2006 FJR1300
2017 V-Strom 650 XT
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicjim View Post
Hey! Congrats on the new bike! ...................
.............. I would caution you to look at your farkle power closely as extra lighting as the EEC got used up REALLY quick on my '17. I can run my heated gear on the bike with 1 set of lights, but if I turn on the other set, the bike can't produce enough power to keep the battery charged.

Besides that, it's a GREAT bike!
Thank you basic***
...........so what is the solution for electrical power? bigger or additional battery?

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page