code scanner - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

code scanner

my 2013 abs light stays on constantly. need to know what code scanner will work on a 13. everyone i have looked at says 16 and newer. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 08:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

No code scanner required prior to 2016. Go into the diagnostics screen... you should have a service manual to describe all the codes for you, or if you want to list what you find, someone here can tell you.
Some fault codes will display on the right instrument display, but I'm assuming that isn't the case here.

To access DiAG, remember there are two modes... DiAG for the ECU, and another for ABS. Access is the same for both, except ABS requires you have a test harness installed or a shorting method for two wires in the ABS diagnostic connector. First, Turn the kill switch to OFF.

For ECU (which may give you some clues), press and hold TCS and Reset buttons, turn on ignition, continue to hold the buttons for 8 seconds until DiAG appears. Release then re-press both buttons for a further 2 seconds. You now can scroll either way with the TCS or Reset button, making note of the readings to the right of the code listings. When you get to 61, it will show you the number of Fault Codes stored then if any, will display them every two seconds continuously so you can write them down.
To go into ABS Diagnostics, must remove battery panel to access the ABS diagnostic connector, and bridge/short the light blue and black wire terminals, then (kill switch OFF) enter diagnostics as previously described.

Check your brake lever switches are not sticking (do clutch as well while you're at it), and that rear brake pedal is not sticking.

First thing I would do is clean your wheel sensors... remove any white aluminum corrosion and clean the hole, then grease the hole and the plastic sleeve with silicone grease. If they were corroded even slightly, see if your ABS light goes out after a cleaning. There may be fault codes existing due to not receiving proper signals from the sensors, which can also affect cruise control.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

code scanner

worth a try to ask. stopped on a trip through ark. while in the restaurant got a gully washer. when i put the key in and turned on the ignition, lights blinked and flashed like crazy. after working the ign. switch on and off, everything cleared but abs. got home and checked, cleaned brake sensors. couldn't get the light off going through diagnostcs. tried out the brakes at a walmart parking lot, abs worked. just thought some body might have reverse engineered a scanner. i've let it glow up to now, but i've reached the point where i think my ole knees would feel better with a tracer. guess i will let the stealer look at it. thanks for responding.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 04:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old guy View Post
worth a try to ask. stopped on a trip through ark. while in the restaurant got a gully washer. when i put the key in and turned on the ignition, lights blinked and flashed like crazy. after working the ign. switch on and off, everything cleared but abs. got home and checked, cleaned brake sensors. couldn't get the light off going through diagnostcs. tried out the brakes at a walmart parking lot, abs worked. just thought some body might have reverse engineered a scanner. i've let it glow up to now, but i've reached the point where i think my ole knees would feel better with a tracer. guess i will let the stealer look at it. thanks for responding.
It matters a whole bunch what year your FJR.

A 2016+ can use an automotive OBD2 scanner with a $13 pigtail from eBay.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

If the ABS light is just flashing and not on solid the ABS system is still working, the ABS computer is just telling you that it is getting a signal that it doesn’t like. Do as Ray says and get the ABS codes to display on the LCD and we can help you diagnose it. I wouldn’t recommend selling the bike just because the ABS light is on until you spend a little time narrowing down the cause - could be something really simple to resolve.
RaYzerman likes this.

2016 ES
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 07:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If more than the ABS lights were flashing....... which ones? That could help narrow it down.
I agree with ZX-11, it's an unexpected signal, likely something simple, just have to go through things.

Ray
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

the light stays on constant. it didn"t bother me so i let it go. my knees have come to the conclusion that it's time to go lighter in weight. trade in or sell is why i'm looking at it. going over to the stealer and look at the tracer. they have come a long way with chain since the 70s. horse power to weight is about the same and if i have the ole parking lot drop, i can pick the tracer up by myself. only dropped the fjr once (in my yard,i hate moles), my knees made me pay for a week. i'll get serious about the codes this weekend and let you know. thanks for the interst, appreciate it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

got delayed with honey do's. anyhoo, abs threw a code 21. called the dealer and they said the only one of those they ever saw was caused by a bent ring on the wheel. what i read said a connection issue. i like the connection trouble since the light came on after a major rain storm. anybody know of a problem child connection? how do you test the wheel sensors ( with an ohm meter)? going over every connection this evening, just wondering if there is a problem child connection. thanks.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Doubtful the sensors are bad, but could have corrosion..... did you clean them like I suggested?
Are you in the ECU menu or ABS menu? To access ABS, you have to have a test harness installed or short out the blue and black.

ECU code 21 is a coolant temperature sensor... can be triggered by ignition on or attempting to start it while coolant sensor unplugged. Just clear it.
ABS_21 is a faulty solenoid code of the ABS hydraulic unit. This would be unusual, so check the 30 amp fuse in the starter relay (it powers the ABS relay located near the ABS hydraulic unit).
mattemike likes this.

Ray
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

definitely in abs. weird code no. is why i called the dealer. i too think it's a simple fix, so i'm going to check voltage, reclean sensors, and check all connections. it almost has to be corrision in a connector. everything worked, bike was parked, rain storm, turned ignition on, got water shorts which cleared when worked the ignition swicth on and off, except for the abs. got the 21 code, but rocking the kill on, then off didn't clear the code. let you know what i find when i find it. any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. starter relay works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page