code scanner - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 06:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Please consider making or modifying your forum signature to include the bike year and model you own. That way there's never any confusion since different model yrs have different stuff and are disassembled different ways.

To create or edit your sig, hover over the word 'TOOLS' in the black bar near the top of the page. A drop-down menu appears, click on 'USER CP'. Then on the left you will see "EDIT SIGNATURE". Click it, do it and save it.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 07:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The starter relay can work and the ABS not, if the fuse is blown or faulty in the starter relay... that's all that fuse exists for.
Gen3 system seems more sensitive to wet sensors, especially the front one, but once dried out, should be OK. Cleaning and using silicone grease should alleviate that.
To prove there is no true 21 code, run the ABS test, and if it goes through the test cycle of getting pulses in both front lever and rear pedal, then we then know the fuse is OK, the relay works, and the hydraulic unit works... should then be little reason for the 21 code.
Try to clear it again, ensuring you're following the instructions (x cycles of the start switch within a few seconds). If it stays, then it means it's an active code and there is a condition to correct. Not sure if all the connectors are waterproof type, but unplug and re-plug to freshen up the connections. Perhaps at some point unplug and re-plug the ABS ECU connector, it's a little more involved.

You can check the resistance of the sensors... can't find the value at the moment, but let us know what it is (Gen2 was 1.2-1.6 kOhms)... go into ECU diagnostics and at Code 7 and 16, you can check there are pulses from the sensors if you rotate the wheels. Since you didn't find sensor codes in the ABS menu, I'd check them anyway, but less likely to be the main culprit.
Do what you can before you go to the dealer, as they are going to go through all this and charge you labour hours...

Keep us posted....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Check the front brake Switch’s, they are not really sealed at all, it’s what was ultimately wrong with my 2014 after doing all the normal suggested checks. The dealer replaced the switch and the relay which fixed my “abs light on” condition. You may be able to take the switch(s) off and clean them with contact cleaner. Check them with a VOM that they are cycling on & off but you should also be able to check their function in the diagnostics mode. Let us know what you find that fix’s it.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 08-29-2020 at 08:07 AM.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

this is now getting interesting. in diag, mode, abs light flashes, code 21 says on. put it in gear, code says off. wondering if there is a short on the dash assmbly letting the light burn constant, getting feed from another source. think i will do a pump flush as well. all connections are good, voltages good, fuses good, it's got to be a simple fix. (famous last words)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

may be that simple passx, thanks, i assumed if the brake light wasn't on, good to go. that could be the wrong assumption. thanks
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

unplugged rear wheel sensor and code 16 popped up. plugged it back in and code went away. quick test maybe?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 06:17 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
any progress?

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 09:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Not home right now to check the service manual.... I believe normal ABS light flashes if your ABS test harness is connected.
Did the ABS test prove successful, i.e, pump ran and pulses at front and rear brake levers??

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page