Ozarks advice - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Ozarks advice

Thinking about spending 2-3 days in the Ozarks-I’ve never been there. Is it better to set up “base camp” and make loops or do point to point. Any advice would be great-don’t know what it’s like “on the road” with the corn hole virus either

1990 Harley Davidson FLHTC, 1999 KLR 650, 2016 FJR 1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 07:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm sure it could be done either way. I've only done point to point, but in the Rockies and Smokies I've done it using base camps 2-3 nights at a time. Russellville would be a good base if you go that route. The best roads are in the northwest quarter of the state.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

You might want to check out this gent's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3R...nSjdnGDVVrIarg

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

We did a 5 day making loops out of Eureka Springs in 2017. Had a great time on awesome roads including the Pig Trail

https://www.eurekaspringsmotorcycler...ig-trail-ride/

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have been there twice. We used Harrison, AR as our home base and rode loops. There are a lot of great roads in the area. Make the trip to the Oark Cafe for lunch.
FJRChuck, the Ferret and 2GENAE like this.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.

Last edited by blchandl2; 08-12-2020 at 03:54 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:29 PM
FJR Top Gun

I second the Oark Cafe! Neat little place.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 08:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

Make sure you have good tires before you leave. The Arkansas roads eat tires like a belt sander. They offer fantastic traction, they make for great riding but the tires will pay for it.

The state parks in Arkansas usually offer some very decent and decently priced meals but with the Covid, a lot of that is entirely shut down.
FJRChuck likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 09:35 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

All above is good, sound advice.

Branson, Missouri, is within easy striking distance of Harrison or Eureka Springs if you're into that kind of place.

Eureka Springs is more a tourist destination, but if you're just there for the ride I'd choose Harrison.

Are you into guns? If so, the Saunders Museum in Berryville is good for a couple of hours of looking at antique handguns.

Clarksvillle is another good overnight spot.

Bear in mind that Russellville and Clarksville are in dry counties if that matters to you.
FJRChuck and Redfish like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 07:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Thinking about spending 2-3 days in the Ozarks-I’ve never been there. Is it better to set up “base camp” and make loops or do point to point. Any advice would be great-don’t know what it’s like “on the road” with the corn hole virus either

I've done it both ways. I prefer the base camp way and doing loops in different directions each day. Anything west of Little Rock and north of I30 is good. Russellville is a good place for a start because you can hit the Pig Trail and lots of other loops from there. Avoid Hot Springs (traffic/tourist), Little Rock, Branson (slow blue hairs), Eureka Springs (traffic/tourist).

In addition to new tires, stick to the posted limits in parks (tightly enforced and park rangers tickets get "special attention" from judges who have a great leeway with large fines). Never override your sight line. It's a rural mindset and around the next blind curve might be a farm vehicle stopped in the middle of the road.
2GENAE likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 08-10-2020 at 07:21 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 01:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I agree with the above. You can do it either way, but you'll want to stay away from the US highways like U62 and US412... and even some of the bigger state roads like AR7 get pretty crowded with RVs. Get out onto the rural ones (like AR27) and you can find places to feel like you're Adam in paradise.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page