New (to me) FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

New (to me) FJR

I'm going to be picking up a new (to me) 2014 FJR with 16K miles in a week.* I am coming from big Harley's.* What do I need to know about operating it?* My Harley redlines at about 5500 rpm but the FJR's is something like 9500. Do you run it up to redline (not every shift of course, but sometimes for fun)?* What tips do I need to know about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:48 PM
FJR Top Gun

Should be interesting ...an FJR ain't nothing like a Harley lol

Actually the FJR is very torquey and can be ridden like a Harley, however it really comes alive where the Harley would be running out of steam.
Be careful the first time you run it up over 5k. At that point you are hauling the mail so to speak

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 11:22 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

New (to me) FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdcowboy View Post
I'm going to be picking up a new (to me) 2014 FJR with 16K miles in a week.* I am coming from big Harley's.* What do I need to know about operating it?* My Harley redlines at about 5500 rpm but the FJR's is something like 9500. Do you run it up to redline (not every shift of course, but sometimes for fun)?* What tips do I need to know about it?
Jdcowboy,

In the upper half of the tach, the FJR can blur the landscape. Work into that range cautiously; I can tell you it is no fun realizing that the bike is quite capable of leaving you behind. Get a grip, and have a LOT of open road ahead, for a while. You will get accustomed to the performance available, but don't rush into it.

Tire pressures are important on the FJR. You want the rear wheel planted, but not harsh-riding. If the front end falls too willingly into a turn, add a few PSI to the front tire. If the bike wants to "stand up" in a turn, needing effort to hold the turn rate, then release a few PSI from the front tire. In the golden "middle ground" between those limits, the FJR will steer almost by thought command. Start with 39F / 42R, and tinker from there.

Do not look at the traffic lane next to you, unless you have cleared that side for traffic, because the bike will be heading into where you are looking, almost before you know it. I call it "thought command." No kidding.

The FJR is sneaky-fast. You may be tooling through town thinking you are going about 45 mph, but the speedometer might be saying an honest 65 mph. The lower gears are your friends, in town. The same applies on the freeway; unless you are careful, you can crack triple digits while still on the entrance ramp, and then be wondering why everybody else is driving so slowly. Fair warning; don't feed the bears.

Best wishes . . .
passx and Jdcowboy like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 12:33 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Start out in T mode. Touring mode. That will last for a couple of miles. Then back to S mode!
FJRChuck and Jdcowboy like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 08:18 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

New (to me) FJR

Jdcowboy,

Maybe I should add, the FJR it a top-heavy beast. You'll do fine, as long as the bike is kept fairly vertical when your feet are down. Once it goes too far over to one side, no rider is going to be able to stop the drop. Start out with half a tank of gas for a while, to make things easier. Fall bars and frame sliders will minimize any damage from a low-speed drop, but be aware that one drop can cost more to repair than the fall bars and sliders would cost. Those things are actually cheap insurance.
JohnC and passx like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 09:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Howdy. Welcome to the forum. Location?

The riding modes, Touring and Sport, do not affect how much power you get. They affect how quickly you get it. It's like changing from a half to a quarter turn throttle. Me? I'm a wuss, an old wuss. The FJR, in "T", already is quicker and faster than my GPz750.

I agree with red on the tire pressure. Book says 36F/42R. Like many of us here, I have settled on 40F/42R.

Feed the critter regular, not premium, gas. It will run quite happily on the 85 octane gas you quite frequently find Out West.

If you change your own oil, be aware that the torque setting for the engine oil plug in both the owner's and FSM is wrong. The Books say 31 lb./ft. That is too much. You run the risk of stripping the threads in the crankcase. The specs for the rear drive drain plug, same type of bolt (minus magnetic tip) bolting into the same kind of aluminum casting, is 17 lb./ft.

If you do your own maintenance, check out the Youtube "Two Wheel Obsession" videos. A little wordy sometimes, buthe covers all the common tasks up to checking the valve clearances.

If you ride at night at all, I recommend the Real Time Industries 3-M film for the saddle bags.
https://www.realtimeindustries.com/f...ar-bag-decals/
About $20 and virtually invisible, a cheap safety feature.

If you do do your own maintenance, be aware that the tupperware is a real PITA to remove. I think the guide in my signature (I did not produce it) is better than either the FSM or the Haynes book. I have both the FSM and the Haynes book. The Haynes book is great for about $30. The title says it covers all models to 2013, but the only functional difference between yours and mine is that your cruise control limit is higher.

Oh, and many consider red to be the "fastest" color.
FJRChuck and Jdcowboy like this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 08-06-2020 at 09:09 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 10:09 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Oh, and many consider red to be the "fastest" color.
JohnC,

Aw, I ain't that fast . . . quick, maybe, but not so fast anymore. Now the red is going gray, sorry to say.

Actually, I think "red" is just the color that attracts more traffic tickets; I've had cops pass my 2008 to nail the guy that I was pacing, on his red bike. Maybe it's like waving a red flag in front of a bull or something . . .
Jdcowboy likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the advice. I rented a KZ900 over the weekend. That sucker was fast. I think it redlined at 11K and I never got over 7500 because I would be going too fast in second gear. Not to bad at 100 mph either. I expect the FJR to be much more comfortable than the KZ900. Harleys are a lot heavier than FJR's so I look forward to it. I'm keeping the Harley and it is red, too. Red also gets seen by cars easier than grey, which helps in SoCal traffic.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Jdcowboy,
With your feet down the FJR will feel heavier than your Harley, due to its higher center of gravity. As soon as you're underway the top heavy feeling goes away. Low speed maneuvers (U turns) take some practice. Coming off a Harley, the throttle response of the FJR will surprise you. Crack it wide open in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and the front end will lift, and toss you on your arse, if you're not expecting it. Fortunately you can ride the FJR in the RPM range you're used to on your Harley, until you become accustom to it's performance. Keep one eye on the speedometer as the sense of speed is totally different from a Harley. Be patient, and give yourself time to become familiar with it, before you begin to explore it's limits (and yours).
Don't hurt yourself.

Boomer59

Oh; and "Radar" Red is the fastest color (to get you a speeding ticket).

~Yeah, I'm a Boomer. You got a problem with that?!~

2007 FJR AE QuickSilver "The Quickest Color"
1999 XL1200 Sportster "Heritage Custom"
1976 Kawasaki KZ900 "the cow-Wee!" (sold)
1973 Yamaha RD350 "SMOKE'N!" (sold)
1970 MGB "the Wondermobile" Wonder if it'll start? Wonder if it'll stop? Wonder if it'll get me home?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I could have bought a red 2014. Really. I went FJR shopping post-retirement in 2014. Dealer had a pretty blue 2012 (same color as 2016, I think) and a couple of new 2014 As. The 2012 was a demo model the dealer said he could make me a deal on, but the "no cruise control" was a show stopper.

Dealer: "Well, come over here and look at this." In the corner was a 2013 that he had taken on consignment, tagged $4K below list. "Now, look at this." He turns it on and toggles the info screen to "ODO": 630 miles! And the PO had installed an MCL riser plate.

It had to be one of the quickest sales he has ever made. So, instead of the "fast" red one, that is why I have a stodgy, "old man", grey one.
FJRChuck likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page