5 Life-Saving Habits for Motorcycle Riders - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

5 Life-Saving Habits for Motorcycle Riders

Another entertaining and informative video from Ryan at FortNine: https://youtu.be/HiOGAYOXN8U

If you haven't had a chance to yet, check out his other videos. Great stuff!

Zwartie
dimmer and Hawg_Dawg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 10:21 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Good video!!! Ride your own ride is the best advice as far as I'm concerned. In a perfect world putting the slowest riders in the lead would be awesome but is it practical? Especially with experienced riders that want to let loose? I myself have learned to swallow my ego and ride in the back just because I really do not care if I'm leading or not. I'm more worried about the people behind me and whether or not they are paying attention. Or have the skill sets needed.....I'd rather leave a gap at the rear, take off 15 seconds later and work on my own technique and speed w/out having to worry about a buddy rear ending me or if I am following someone closely and they panic brake and now I have to avoid them. Just my opinion.

Keep in mind I am new the the FJR and it's power and my experience is w/ a 500 Ninja riding with the Harley crowd. Of course I am use to them thinking they are all faster than me.....in reality the majority of them are no where near me. But I still bring up the rear with giving them plenty of a head start. Funny how 99% of the time we end up at the same red lights!!!! I'm just saying......
Hawg_Dawg likes this.

New to me 2003 FJR1300
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 10:56 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
Even safer.... do not ride in groups.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If this thread becomes a platform for insulting others for how or where they ride, it will be shut down and deleted.

Please people, play pretty. It's one thing to say, "I do xxx b/c...." and completely another to tell others what to do and how to do it. And the first mention of something like, "find a class and learn how to ride properly" will result in a deletion and a censure.
bounce likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

One data point: I don't consider "avoid riding in groups" to be insulting. It's just good safety advice.

Taking up slack means 2 things.

1, Accelerated wear on pads (no one is so good as to take up the slack but never touch pads to discs with absolute accuracy). For old cable style brakes, you adjust the slack so you don't have to "take it up".
2. You are following too damned close if you think that it's that important.
2a. It's the street (not the track).
N4HHE and Mopheadama like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 07-30-2020 at 07:50 AM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 10:04 AM
FJR Top Gun

My group rides always consist of 4 to 5 bikes max all with similar skills. But I have ridden and organized and led larger rides.

Faster riders in the front. Similar skill sets in groups. Every rider looks after one person in front and one person behind. Individual riders need not be concerned with the group as a whole. That is left for the leader and organizers. As riders fall off the pace the next one forward slows to allow catching up or waits to regroup. This effect will eventually make it way to the front. I have designated regroup spots called out ahead so as long as there are no mishaps everyone has a designated goal.

Riders naturally congregate with those of similar skill. They bond over a shared experience. Its good to have them together. Also some intermixing of skill level is a good thing but loose groups of skill is how the day ends up any way. You can attempt to intersperse skill levels in the larger group but people will naturally shuffle themselves after a stop or two. It happens every time.

I have found putting faster riders in the rear leads to a compact group as the faster riders will always inadvertently crowd the slower riders. The less skilled riders will eventually feel the pressure and will become nervous and start making mistakes.

They will say things likes. " I dont want to hold anyone up" "Am I going too slow?" That is a positive sign a slower rider is feeling the pressure of faster riders behind them.
Liquidsilver likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 10:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

I can’t see taking up the slack as feasible for street riding. I get its benefit but I can’t imagine riding for hours like that - my hand would be cramping up in short order. Now I do cover the brakes/take up the slack in situations I perceive to have a heightened level of danger such as intersections and higher levels of traffic but I can’t imagine riding around like that for the whole ride. Perhaps he did not mean to suggest that but that’s what I got out of watching the video.

I do like watching these videos. Food for thought.

2016 ES
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 02:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Well that just reaffirms me using the back brake only most of the time............... (that is just sposed to be a funny and not starting a debate)

Knobbies are better in snow/slush than street tires will ever be

Panic braking with abs works lots better than non abs

Most of my summer riding is in tennis shoes so alway make sure the shoe strings are tucked in the shoes. It is a bitch when they tangle up on the shifter or brake pedal since you do not know it till you stop and try to put your feet on the ground.

Ride your own ride is a must.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Jenks likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
They will say things likes. " I dont want to hold anyone up" "Am I going too slow?" That is a positive sign a slower rider is feeling the pressure of faster riders behind them.
Or, they mean exactly that and you don't have to read into it. I am considerate of the fact that many riders I ride with are better than me and I want them to enjoy the ride too... so if I ask about speed or joke about slowing them down it is just that - a joke - or a legitimate question to find make sure they are enjoying their ride too.

Personally, I am still growing my skills. I like riding with better, skilled riders who I can increase my skills with. But, I know my limits and I would never go faster than I feel comfortable doing and that is the message here... ride your own ride, know your limits and don't ride with people you are not comfortable riding with
bounce likes this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page