5 Life-Saving Habits for Motorcycle Riders - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

To me, this guy seems a wee bit too in love with the sound of his own voice. And I think there are two sides to many of the points he only presents one side of.

Still, I guess it's always good to hear differing experiences and points of view as they help us learn. I have several mental images and memories from several well-meaning videos on the internet (like SMIDSY) that I think keep me safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
" I don't want to hold anyone up" "Am I going too slow?" That is a positive sign a slower rider is feeling the pressure of faster riders behind them.
I like that point. Those can be dangerous things to hear when they are riding behind you too.

In recent years, I've come to feel the need to know the guys riding behind me in a group. When they catch up to the group with a relaxed smile on their face, I feel good about their ability to ride their own ride. When they show up behind me with wild eyes and a red face... I start making changes to the ride. It really sucks to spend a good riding day by going back to help a rider get his bike out of the ditch, or his butt into an ambulance.
bounce and mobilemike like this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
Most of my summer riding is in tennis shoes so alway make sure the shoe strings are tucked in the shoes. It is a bitch when they tangle up on the shifter or brake pedal since you do not know it till you stop and try to put your feet on the ground.
Ride your own ride is a must.
Riding gear is a personal choice - I get it, so I'm not trying to start a debate about what type and how much gear is acceptable. That being said...about 15 years ago on a crisp April morning (10C or 50F) while I was washing my bike in the driveway I waved to my neighbour across the street as he fired up his brand new GSXR and proceeded to ride off. He may have been going 50 or 60 km/h tops when he cracked the throttle, causing the brand-new slippery rear tire to come out sideways and low-side the rest of the way down the street. Again, he wasn't really going all that fast, just grabbed too much throttle on new, cold tires on a cool, crisp morning. I ran down the street to check on him and he was OK but his bike sustained some costly cosmetic damage. Besides that, I couldn't help but notice that he lost one of his running/tennis shoes and the laces were completely blown off the shoe. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I know this is only one data point but it's enough evidence for me to only ever wear hiking or motorcycle boots when riding. I picked up a nice pair of Alpinestar high-top style riding shoes that look like running shoes but have the built-in armour in the ankles.

Zwartie
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-11 View Post
I canít see taking up the slack as feasible for street riding. I get its benefit but I canít imagine riding for hours like that - my hand would be cramping up in short order. Now I do cover the brakes/take up the slack in situations I perceive to have a heightened level of danger such as intersections and higher levels of traffic but I canít imagine riding around like that for the whole ride. Perhaps he did not mean to suggest that but thatís what I got out of watching the video.

I do like watching these videos. Food for thought.
I don't think the intention was to take up the slack all the time, just when you need to hover the brakes. Again, not sure but that's how I interpret it. I took an Advanced Rider Training course last summer (hope I don't get crap for mentioning rider training) and we practiced emergency braking using a 1-2 technique that worked really well. Step 1 is to do an initial squeeze of the brake lever to load the front suspension and increase available traction on the front tire. Step 2 (which you do a fraction of a second later) is to squeeze, squeeze, and continue to squeeze harder until you come to a full stop. As most people taking the course had bikes with ABS, we were also to try to brake as quickly as possible without activating the ABS. It was challenging and fun. We started out at 30 km/h and by the final run I had the FJR entering the braking box at over 80 km/h.

Zwartie

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 08:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
Riding gear is a personal choice - I get it, so I'm not trying to start a debate about what type and how much gear is acceptable. That being said...about 15 years ago on a crisp April morning (10C or 50F) while I was washing my bike in the driveway I waved to my neighbour across the street as he fired up his brand new GSXR and proceeded to ride off. He may have been going 50 or 60 km/h tops when he cracked the throttle, causing the brand-new slippery rear tire to come out sideways and low-side the rest of the way down the street. Again, he wasn't really going all that fast, just grabbed too much throttle on new, cold tires on a cool, crisp morning. I ran down the street to check on him and he was OK but his bike sustained some costly cosmetic damage. Besides that, I couldn't help but notice that he lost one of his running/tennis shoes and the laces were completely blown off the shoe. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I know this is only one data point but it's enough evidence for me to only ever wear hiking or motorcycle boots when riding. I picked up a nice pair of Alpinestar high-top style riding shoes that look like running shoes but have the built-in armour in the ankles.

Zwartie

All good points. And points I had to re-learn the hard way when I started bicycling again. 30 mph can be devastating with only a helmet, sneakers, t, and shorts. Even when there's zero chance that a 650 lb motorcycle might crush your ankle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoadRash01.jpg (99.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RoadRash02.jpg (73.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg RoadRash03.jpg (94.8 KB, 11 views)

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 07-31-2020 at 08:26 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 11:08 AM
FJR Top Gun

When someone asks me about riding gear I tell them " run 5 steps, just five steps at running speed and slide on you knees on the asphalt.".

No one will do it. I wonder why?

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 11:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Dang Bounce... those hurt all the way from here. Ouch.

I tell people (and I think it's true) that bicycling is the most dangerous 2-wheeled activity I do. I ride about 10 miles every other morning... and while I always wear a helmet... those spandex shorts and jersey ain't gonna keep my skin on if I go down. I'll bet you still have a scar or two from that one.
bounce likes this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 11:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
I had the opportunity to findout what it feels like to slide on asphalt wearing jeans and a t-shirt, plus a helmet... thank heavens. I was on the back of a buddies Triumph Trident, bottle of kippered herring in one hand and a bottle of red wine in the other. Doing around 40MPH when he heard me let out yell and took that to mean gas it. Off I went; managed to hold on to something for a bit so the only thing contacting the ground was the helmet (the helmet had a hole worn in it from the abrasive surface). When I came off completely I must have both tumbled and slid because the road rash was evenlly distributed around my body. It as a miserable two weeks before I could comfortably wear clothing or sleep without sticking to the sheets. By the way, I think the nurse at the Naval Hospital where I was treated was enjoying the pain she was inflicting as she was debriding the wounds and muttering "idiot" over and over. Luckly I had pretreated with pain killer prior to the slide. This happened 47 years ago. I was young, drunk and dumb. I'm no longer young.

By the way, the only thing jeans do in a asphalt slide is contribute to contaminating the wounds. Great fun watching a smiling nurse pull jean threads out of goo.
bounce and jamwr like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 10:38 AM
Farkle Trainee

I’ve read some reviews by people who have gone down in “draggin’ jeans” that have attested to them performing pretty well.... probably weight of the denim. I have 1 pair and they weigh twice what normal jeans do.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Dang Bounce... those hurt all the way from here. Ouch.
I tell people (and I think it's true) that bicycling is the most dangerous 2-wheeled activity I do. I ride about 10 miles every other morning... and while I always wear a helmet... those spandex shorts and jersey ain't gonna keep my skin on if I go down. I'll bet you still have a scar or two from that one.

"New" skin at ever point. "Skier's Thumb" from my grip on the bars has impeded lots of stuff since it happened 2 months ago. Couldn't even move the left thumb at first (a month?). Now I can do a lot of stuff but still have to be cautious (pinching and gripping like the linked article discusses). Just got to the point where it doesn't hurt too much to play guitar (bar cords are still painful) and play video games (left joystick may actually be helping with range of motion).

Quote:
I’ve read some reviews by people who have gone down in “draggin’ jeans” that have attested to them performing pretty well.... probably weight of the denim. I have 1 pair and they weigh twice what normal jeans do.

Too heavy for bicycling and not enough for motorcycles IMHO. I mostly see people who buy them as aesthetically trying to avoid a pirate or Power Ranger costumes... mostly (no disrespect).

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 08-01-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page