Moto Camping - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Moto Camping

Not an FJR, but it may have helped me decide to keep the FJR!
So did a little dual sporting camping trip FRI and Sat on the VA and WV border with a friend and His KLR. Ended up coming backhome across the BRP.
The DR did everything it needed to do, ran 75-80 on the interstate, did back roads, dirt roads, creek crossings, single track a few hill climbs, some mud. I just dont think I can ask any more of it. I have a vibe issue but im going to change the slide in the carba nd hopefully that will corrrect that. I think instead of selling both the DR and FJR and going to one big ADV bike, Ill stick with what I have for now anyway. The FJR is just hard to beat in many ways and I know I would miss it.

take a close look at that snake, he just got done eating something!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1308.jpg (170.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1315.jpg (194.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.jpg (171.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1312.jpg (194.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1317.jpg (52.1 KB, 25 views)
rbentnail likes this.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

That's awesome.
I really liked my klr650 and had a lot of fun on it with all the state parks and trails and fire roads in the mountains around here. I added crash bars and better hand gaurds.
I honestly think I would have liked a DR650 better, though. I didn't like the weight of this liquid cooled klr when single tracking, etc, and I believe the DR is like 50lbs lighter or something?
Super fun to adventure like that, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1594136583835_1594137038595.jpg (49.6 KB, 15 views)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 11:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'd keep both... two different styles, DR's are easy to own. Good combo.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
That's awesome.
I really liked my klr650 and had a lot of fun on it with all the state parks and trails and fire roads in the mountains around here. I added crash bars and better hand gaurds.
I honestly think I would have liked a DR650 better, though. I didn't like the weight of this liquid cooled klr when single tracking, etc, and I believe the DR is like 50lbs lighter or something?
Yea The DR is definitley like 40 lbs lighter I think, a little better suspended with more travel, but lacks the wind protection like the KLR. Think they are both good bikes!

Ron

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater1970 View Post
Quote:
That's awesome.
Yea The DR is definitley like 40 lbs lighter I think, a little better suspended with more travel, but lacks the wind protection like the KLR. Think they are both good bikes!
Both definitely good bikes. Simple, reliable machines that have been around a while.
I came from dirt bikes and always wanted to go back with a dual sport, just probably should have gotten something a little lighter or even smaller in general.
I met up with a guy the other day (former gen2 FJR owner, actually) who just bought a ktm 500. Pretty cool bike, and it's like 250lbs wet.
Obviously trade offs with weight/fairing/etc, though, when you're on the street a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200707_142806_1594146743288.jpg (264.5 KB, 16 views)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I looked at the 500 KTM and felt it too purposeful built to the race ready end of things that they advertise..Hardly any oil capacity and frequent changes etc.. I say that being a KTM fanboy myself having owned quite a few. With that said I was with my wife and kids in the mountains of NC 2 weeks ago and came across two guys doing the TAT on 2 500 EXC's. They were really loaded down but were planning on going cross country and back on them and in fact the year prior had ridden them from Louisiana to Moab I think. The year before that one of the guys did the same trip on a lil 350 exc so I really was impressed with their stories. Those are killer bikes. I did ask one of them about the oil changes, and he says he changes oil every 700 miles on those longer trips, so about every other day hes changing the oil!

Ron

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 03:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Alrighty, you made a decision! Congrats!! I know you've been on the fence about it for a while now. Good to see you were out. We missed you Saturday, found some new nice relaxed peg dragging twisties in central Virginia. Did I mention I put the bike tire back on for a while? I brought two newbies down Bell Spur and Squirrel Spur roads with it. Learned something new too- remember that hard right turn about 1/2 way down? Well, when you're hard over to the right and you've lifted your foot off the peg b/c it's folding up, it's really really hard to apply any rear brake. WooHoo!

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater1970 View Post
I looked at the 500 KTM and felt it too purposeful built to the race ready end of things that they advertise..Hardly any oil capacity and frequent changes etc.. I say that being a KTM fanboy myself having owned quite a few. With that said I was with my wife and kids in the mountains of NC 2 weeks ago and came across two guys doing the TAT on 2 500 EXC's. They were really loaded down but were planning on going cross country and back on them and in fact the year prior had ridden them from Louisiana to Moab I think. The year before that one of the guys did the same trip on a lil 350 exc so I really was impressed with their stories. Those are killer bikes. I did ask one of them about the oil changes, and he says he changes oil every 700 miles on those longer trips, so about every other day hes changing the oil!
That's a bit crazy with the oil changes. I wouldn't like that.
Certainly impressive stories, though. I'd love to go on an adventure like that. Not sure my butt could handle it, but the rest would be fun. Lol
My other work buddy just got back from a
big Moab trip last week, actually. He's riding a Sherco these days (obviously didn't ride it all the way out there, though)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Alrighty, you made a decision! Congrats!! I know you've been on the fence about it for a while now. Good to see you were out. We missed you Saturday, found some new nice relaxed peg dragging twisties in central Virginia. Did I mention I put the bike tire back on for a while? I brought two newbies down Bell Spur and Squirrel Spur roads with it. Learned something new too- remember that hard right turn about 1/2 way down? Well, when you're hard over to the right and you've lifted your foot off the peg b/c it's folding up, it's really really hard to apply any rear brake. WooHoo!
Funny was thinking about you as we were riding from the meadows of Dan back towards hanging rock..

So come on, so what if you can't apply brakes, they just slow you down anyway! How you liking the bike tire again, been a while has;t it?

Ron

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
That's a bit crazy with the oil changes. I wouldn't like that.
Certainly impressive stories, though. I'd love to go on an adventure like that. Not sure my butt could handle it, but the rest would be fun. Lol
My other work buddy just got back from a
big Moab trip last week, actually. He's riding a Sherco these days (obviously didn't ride it all the way out there, though)
You know I actually think Shercos are really cool bikes!

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page