New FJR Rider - FJR Characteristics - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

New FJR Rider - FJR Characteristics

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2007 FJR and I really enjoy the bike. However, when I'm going through a corner, I notice that the backend feels a bit squirrely. It happens just enough to make me feel uncomfortable. It feels like it wants to lose traction. The tires and pressure are fine and I don't see any mechanical issues.

I have ridden a Honda 750 nighthawk for years now, and I'm wondering if it is just the power on the new bike that I'm not used to when I roll on the throttle.

Has anyone else experienced this when new to the bike?

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 06:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The kind of tire and where you are riding make a huge difference. Clue us in.

When you say "The tires and pressure are fine" what exactly are the pressures you are running?

How heavy are you? Aftermarket suspension? If not, what are your settings?

You've opened a can o' worms!

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...-settings.html

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:06 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCross View Post
Hi All,
I just purchased a 2007 FJR and I really enjoy the bike. However, when I'm going through a corner, I notice that the backend feels a bit squirrely. It happens just enough to make me feel uncomfortable. It feels like it wants to lose traction. The tires and pressure are fine and I don't see any mechanical issues. I have ridden a Honda 750 nighthawk for years now, and I'm wondering if it is just the power on the new bike that I'm not used to when I roll on the throttle. Has anyone else experienced this when new to the bike? Thanks a bunch!
Bob,

The FJR is one strong bike. I consider some tires as "parade-duty" only, but not good choices for the best handling. Age can harden any brand of tire, too, making it "uncertain" in the turns. Tread depth means nothing, on an old tire. Check the age of ANY tires in the USA . . . click the link and scroll down:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

The 2007 FJR (in particular) came with an "abrupt" throttle response, more Off/On than some riders like. The best possible fix for that, if it is a problem to you, is to have the ECU re-flashed by Ivan's Performance in Georgia. Mail Ivan an ECU, and you get it back far better than stock. Alternately, you can purchase the same ECU (by Part Number) that you have now, send that one off, and just swap in the "new" module when done.

That said, you have the BEST color that Yamaha ever put on the FJRs. I think you're gonna like that bike, a lot.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hunnert bucks says your rebound damping on that undersprung shock is set at Yamaha "standard" settings....... dial that rebound adjuster in full then back out 7-8 clicks, tweak from there based on riding experience.
I'd be interested in what tire you have and pressures also, front and rear. As well, tell us where your fork spring preload is and damping settings, what you weigh.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 09:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

For kicks, how many miles on your bike, Bob ?

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page