Any ideas in getting ride of "handle bar buzz" on Gen. 2 FJR?? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Any ideas in getting ride of "handle bar buzz" on Gen. 2 FJR??

Love my FJR, but the constant handle bar buzz at highway speeds puts my hands to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 08:15 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha4Ever! View Post
Love my FJR, but the constant handle bar buzz at highway speeds puts my hands to sleep.
Yamaha,

Yep, easy to fix!

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1253493-post3.html

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 09:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Adding to red's post.... I find most if not all grips are too small and hard... you have to grip harder and it causes wrist, arm, shoulder and neck issues. If the foam grips are too large, get Grip Buddies Lite, they are a little thinner, don't absorb water, transfer grip heat better. The big deal is you can relax your grip more. I also have an "Original Throttle Boss", which is a rubber throttle assist where you can gently push down on the throttle with much less grip... small enough not to get in the way like other throttle assists like Throttle Rocker. Might like it enough not to use cruise.
Heavier bar ends may also help.
Now for the totally anal, do a valve check and shim all the valves to have the same clearances, will balance vacuum more, and once you do a throttle body sync afterwards, you may find it smoother.... nevertheless, there is that inherent buzz in I-4's around 4000 rpm.... downshift a gear and try that, you might find gas mileage is better sometimes in 4th.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 11:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I hated the grip puppies and buddies, they make the grip diameter very uncomfortable for me. I switched to Pro Grip #714 grips. Gel, vibration absorbing, slightly larger in diameter than the OEM.

https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/p...al-sport-grips
passx and hANNAbONE like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 07:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The”pro-grip 714” grips are my go-to grips on my old bike restorations, they’re great ! But on the bikes with grip heaters that’s not an option so I go with grip puppies/buddies and they also help but do make the grip diameter bigger.

I personally do a TBS as yearly maintenance which does help the 3500-4500rpm buzz a bit, makes it less sharp with less amplitude but doesn’t eliminate it but imho makes it tolerable. Now on your gen2 you can also do the unauthorized tbs which is basically balancing the linkage of the individual t-bodies to each other vs just air bleeds on the gen 3’s,,, ,, BUT be aware that as Ray stated an in-line 4 has an inherent resonant buzz but doing a careful tbs or anything to balance cylinder to cylinder variances will improve it a bunch.

Also go over the bike to check the torques of the parts bolted on, on my bike one of the biggest improvements was that one of the mufflers wasn’t torqued properly and once properly torqued made a HUGE improvement.

My 14a (the fastest color red) had the worst buzz of any fjr I’d ridden but after doing multiple things the buzz is now tolerable. Besides the before mentioned tbs, grip puppies + torque checks I added vibranators (no longer in business) which are basically fancy bar end weights that use a tuning fork type deal to help quell handlebar vibes, I tried multiple plain bar end weights before settling on the vibranators.

One last thing, the guy’s at D&H in Alabama told me the best thing to improve the vibration was simply added mileage which at first I thought was pure bs, but once my bike had over 10k the vibration did improve with miles added. The above suggestion for adding throttle body/carb cleaner is also a very good suggestion, I use Lucas cleaner about every 3rd tankful, it does make a difference as well. My.02 hope it helps.
hANNAbONE and oldbaldsob like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 06-24-2020 at 07:55 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 08:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I've fixed or greatly diminished many a buzzing that occurred only at certain RPMs by torquing down all bolts to spec. Over time, many bolts start to back out slightly. This is especially the case on older used bikes because it's rare that owners ever retorque them. My 2 cents.
ReRose likes this.

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 09:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha4Ever! View Post

https://nojgear.com/collections/gear...=8026917568565

they go on bike to bike to bike...diff colors

awesome
ReRose and Sete Bond like this.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 09:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Adding to red's post.... I find most if not all grips are too small and hard... you have to grip harder and it causes wrist, arm, shoulder and neck issues. If the foam grips are too large, get Grip Buddies Lite, they are a little thinner, don't absorb water, transfer grip heat better. The big deal is you can relax your grip more. I also have an "Original Throttle Boss", which is a rubber throttle assist where you can gently push down on the throttle with much less grip... small enough not to get in the way like other throttle assists like Throttle Rocker. Might like it enough not to use cruise.
Heavier bar ends may also help.
Now for the totally anal, do a valve check and shim all the valves to have the same clearances, will balance vacuum more, and once you do a throttle body sync afterwards, you may find it smoother.... nevertheless, there is that inherent buzz in I-4's around 4000 rpm.... downshift a gear and try that, you might find gas mileage is better sometimes in 4th.

I use a throttle rocker with a velcro cinch feature along with a pair of these :

https://nojgear.com/collections/gear...=8026917568565

I use the rocker underneath the ball of my thumb tho...not the far outside of my palm.
Feels better to me putting it there. It isn't ever in the way and it fits like a glove when you have it adjusted correctly.

I like the neoprene grip wraps as they fatten up the grip and cushion at the same time.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 03:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Try thicker winter type gloves.
ReRose likes this.

2018 Phantom Blue
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've done a lot of what was suggested--foam handle bar grip slip ons, grease on the inside rear wheel gear, checked for dragging brakes, Sea Foam in the gas periodically, tightened all nuts, screws, and bolts, etc. I've never adjusted the valves and never had the throttle bodies synched (my bike has 17k miles on it). Plan to do that at the end of this year.

I have been noticing other I-4 engines of those I ride with. As noted by many, all of them vibrate, particularly my friends H2 supercharged Kawasaki (220 rwhp on the dyno). I've only owned one other I-4 in my 56-years of biking. It was a 750 Yamaha Seca in 1982. Sweet bike!! I don't remember that bike vibrating at all. Of course, I was a lot younger then and my Seca only put out 80 rwhp or so. That was a lot for the day, but no where near the HP of today's I-4 engines.

The two V-Max motorcycles that I've owned over the last 20-years have me spoiled. Absolutely no engine vibration. They would putt putt around all day and when you called on it to "go," ya better be hanging on as soon as you hit the gas and be hanging on even tighter when the V-boast kicked in at 6,500 rpms. What an awesome bike!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page