Any ideas in getting ride of "handle bar buzz" on Gen. 2 FJR?? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:19 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Two things solved the numb hand problem that I had with my 2012 FJR:

1. Pro Grip #714 grips to replace the hard stock grips. I had to sacrifice the heated grips but it was worth it to me.

2. Unwinding the center return spring on the throttle bodies. By unwinding the return spring I don't have to grip the throttle as hard and the vibrations don't transfer as much to my hand.

I tried most of the other recommendations mentioned in the forums (other grips, heavier bar end weights, different padded gloves, grip buddies, grip puppies) but they didn't work for me.

2012 FJR1300A

Last edited by SMR_SLT; 06-25-2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Changed carbs to throttle bodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Do these engines have a balancer adjustment? I had luck doing that on one of my other bikes.
Add pro gel grips and my regular Olympia gel gloves and almost no buzz.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 08:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

No balancer adjustment required. That usually was just for gear engagement anyway, did not do much else. There is an adjustment on each of the balancers, lookie in the service manual. Getting at the back one involves removing airbox, throttle bodies, etc. Normally done only at engine assembly time.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 09:10 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Any ideas in getting ride of "handle bar buzz" on Gen. 2 FJR??

I posted a link with a bunch of "buzz" remedies, above. For some reason, very few riders who have stubborn "buzz" problems have tried what may be the ultimate fix, after all else fails: conventional handle bars. Those who have changed over will usually say the conventional handlebars are the best answer, in many respects. I do not believe that you need those Megabuck imported handlebar adapter plates, either. What about these affordable units?

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1232663-post1.html

Many different hand positions are available, using conventional bars. I believe that the stock FJR handlebar castings are mounted too rigidly, causing the vibrations to go into your hands. My FJR does not have that problem (except when it's time for some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank), so I have not changed the handlebars on mine. If I did have that problem, I'd try the conventional handlebars, before I gave up and sold the FJR. It's not safe to ride that beast with numb hands/wrists, IMHO.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page