1200 Super Tenere - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:48 AM
Training wheels fitted!

ronheater1970,
Was that Yamaha/Honda dealer in Huntington, WV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_jawa View Post
ronheater1970,
Was that Yamaha/Honda dealer in Huntington, WV?
No it was not.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynes View Post
Ronheater1970:

Where do I begin . . . ? I have posted comments on the subject of the Super Tenere before so Iíll try to be brief.

I currently own both a 2013 Super T (169,000km) and a 2020 FJR (6,000km). This is my second FJR: previously I owned a 2006 (151,400km)).

Watch Ryanís review, which in my opinion is very fair. Pay particular attention to the final minute and 14 seconds (from 10:50 on) and youíll understand the beauty of this bike. Call it boring if you like, but in this case Boring = Good. It is also practical and fun, and Iíd call it ugly, especially when compared to the FJR, but Iím allowed to say that because I bought one on purpose!

I have had a few issues with my Super T: A rear wheel spoke broke or unscrewed itself (24,000km) and damaged the wheel (replaced off-warranty by Yamaha) and swing-arm (cosmetic, not repaired), the FD leaked twice (37,000km and 126,000km), the steering-head bearings were replaced twice (111,200km and 137,000km (very strange)), a bearing in the front wheel broke (82,500km (also very strange)), and the compression rings stuck over the course of one winterís storage (125,900km (very, very strange)).

Another ďproblemĒ with the Super T is that it requires 91 octane gas, which generally isnít available in the remote areas I sometimes travel. Apparently the bike will run on 87 octane but it doesnít run very well, though I guess it beats pushing the thing. I canít confirm this as Iíve never tried 87 octane or pushed it other than out of the garage. If Iím heading to parts lesser known I always carry extra gas.

While the motor may only produce about 110hp and 85ft/lbs of torque itís plenty because it produces a lot of its power well down in the rev range. The 270 degree crank is likely the reason as it makes this parallel twin perform very much like the woefully under-powered Harley V-twin. If you've ever ridden a big Harley you'll know what I mean - gutless but somehow they are surprisingly quick up to about 100km/h. The motor does sound like itís grinding itself to death, but rest assured itís not, and you may get some strange looks from folks when you start it up. No worries, the engine is bullet-proof.

I am on my 14th rear tire and 9th front tire. After burning up the street tires the bike came with (Metzler Tourance EXP) I have run Heidenau K60s almost exclusively: I did try 2 sets of Mitas E07. With the right tires, and with the power delivery attributes that Ryan speaks about, this bike is a joy to ride on a dirt road.

All 1200+ cc adventure bikes are big and heavy and I don't believe that any of them are suitable for full off-road riding except maybe by younger (Iím guessing that the average age of members on this Forum is north of 50) expert riders. I think the manufacturers know that the majority of these bikes will never even see a dirt road (check out the tires most come with as part-proof) let alone a gravel pit or sand dune. If you want a true adventure bike buy a 700 Tenere.

The bike truly is all-day comfortable: more upright seating position than the FJR and way-wider bars, and more distance between the seat and pegs, however some have complained of a forward slope to the seat. I too was bothered by the slope but only on occasion (weird). I trimmed the rear pads on the riderís seat and I use an Airhawk or BeadRider: problem solved.

As further proof of the bikeís comfort and capabilities, I have completed the following IBA rides on the Super T: Saddlesore 1600K, Saddlesore 2000K, and Bun Burner 2500K, and I have ridden the bike as far north in the Province of Ontario as one can on permanent roads (meaning, not ice-roads), which meant 250km of gravel road. The road had since been extended about another 60km so I guess Iíll have to ride it again to keep my bragging rights.

As far as the Super Tís agility and handling are concerned, I donít have a problem with either. In fact, maybe itís my familiarity with the bike but currently I may be faster on the FJR but Iím quicker on the Super T, and that makes it more fun to ride than the FJR on the back roads and an absolute blast to ride on dirt roads, where no FJR should ever tread.

Lastly, let me quote Ryanís final words on the Super T: ďThe Tenere is just easy, easy, easy and when you run something for 24 hours straight . . . well, easy is what you want.Ē

Haynes
You bring up Good points, especially about the Octane rating as I did not know that. However My Buell Uly needed premium or it sounded like marbles were rolling around inside anytime you got under a load and it was warm out. I do not conisder that a deal breaker, but it is worth noting.

I also dont think only 110 HP is necessarily boring, as for its intened purpose it should be plenty.. It has also been noted several times across the web that a simple 250 dollars allows the stock ecu to be flashed and gain something like 19 Ponies from what I am reading. Yamaha has them in there and maybe they are just waiting for a redesign to unleash them or something, I dunno.

I am most comftorable on a "dirt bike feeling " motorcycle since thats where my history lay... It is natural to me.

Ron

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
I have owned both an FJR and Super Tenere and while they are different I genuinely loved both. Please keep in mind that my comments come from the perspective of a sport bike junky that is currently riding a Ducati Multistrada.

The Super Tenere is a great bike. It can be somewhat underwhelming but it is also the bike I would choose to ride through a nuclear wasteland. I can honestly say mile for mile and hour for hour it is one of the bikes I enjoy most. Mine was a Ď14ES and I would not recommend going with the base model or older bikes, the Ď14+ ES is that much better in performance and value. So hereís the thing, leave a light beside a Camry and ride like youíre on an FJR and the Camry will leave you for dead, leave like you robbed a bank and youíre gone. I had mine in FL one winter and my riding buddies all ride GSs and S1000XRs and generally faster bikes. After a week of frustration I started riding the Super Tenere like I stole it. Surprise surprise I could run with or outrun everybody. I could easily carry a ton of corner speed not possible on other bikes. Itís not FJR fast but it will go just fine. After a winter of thrashing the bike it used 0 oil, had no maintenance issues and if anything ran better than it did to start. The power is more street usable than my Multistrada. I think it has so much low end grunt that people drive it like a farm tractor and never see what the bike can do. I do recommend a reflash, it doesnít make the bike any faster but makes it more responsive to ride. For some reason from the factory Yamaha neutered first and second gear so full twist of the throttle only equals 60% throttle at the motor.
As far as comfort the bike is first rate. IMO the perfect amount of wind protection, the bags are great, the factory seat is terrible but that is both common to lots of bikes and easy to fix.
Best part if you search a bit there are new leftovers out there that can be had for a pretty good deal. It is one of the few bikes I would recommend.
Donk, I am looking at a 14 model with 9K on it. It does not have the electric suspension however. It has the Factory Panniers installed, Crash Bars, Auxillary PIAA Lights, Mean looking skidplate, aftermarket windscreen and seat. It really is a steal im afraid to mention price as someone here may snatch it..L It is the service managers motorcycle at the dealership there, which coicindentally is the shop my Mom got me my IT 200 from when I was 14, so the shop has been around a while!

Ron

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Not sure Im ready to part with the FJR yet however, I mean if the bike just sucked at Something, anything it would be an easy decision. It doesnt and crusing down the highway for several hours just makes you like it even more. But, mind still turning!

Ron

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 02:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post

Having owned BMW , I wonít go there again, and preferring shaft leaves the Tenere the only choice for adventure bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I looked briefly at adventure bikes before settling on my choice for my non-ADV FJR replacement a month ago, and doesn't the Triumph Tiger 1200 have a shaft drive...?

2016 FJR1300A
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 06:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If I win the lottery or have a rich uncle pass, Iíll buy a late model used Tenere to figure out what I think. I canít commit to one at the expense of losing my primary, which is 100% FJR. Given that I donít really off-road except for gravel, if I were to give up on rockets, itíd more likely be for a land yacht than an overgrown enduro.

...But I suspect the Tenere ergos and vantage point would be pretty awesome. Really, only having even worse wind protection than the FJR is the only thing thatís kept me safe so far.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 08:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater1970 View Post

I think the Super Ten checks all the boxes.

Ron, I think you made up your mind to get the Tenere, before you even asked the forum for opinions Just go for it, if you don't like it you can always sell it and get a newer FJR
Bill Lumberg likes this.

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"

2017 ES the BEST (and most reliable) sport touring bike currently available
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 06:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater1970 View Post
Donk, I am looking at a 14 model with 9K on it. It does not have the electric suspension however. It has the Factory Panniers installed, Crash Bars, Auxillary PIAA Lights, Mean looking skidplate, aftermarket windscreen and seat. It really is a steal im afraid to mention price as someone here may snatch it..L It is the service managers motorcycle at the dealership there, which coicindentally is the shop my Mom got me my IT 200 from when I was 14, so the shop has been around a while!
The electronic suspension is nice but I wouldnít let it be a deal breaker. I know plenty of guys prefer the standard suspension because itís itís easy to upgrade if you desire at any time. Ď14 and up is the important part. The factory panniers are great and once you have top loading panniers youíll never want anything else. Go For It!!!

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď03 FZ1
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 06:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
...But I suspect the Tenere ergos and vantage point would be pretty awesome. Really, only having even worse wind protection than the FJR is the only thing thatís kept me safe so far.
Bill theyíre both great bikes but a little bit like comparing steak to lobster ( the real lobster not the things they pass off for lobster in FL). The wind protection isnít worse itís just different. Yamaha makes a set of wind deflectors that attaches beside the dash. With those on the bike itís a nice pocket of smooth quiet air to ride in. Couldnít ask for better. In fact I never bothered with the larger touring screen on mine because it was so nice with the stock screen and side deflectors. just my opinion.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď03 FZ1
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page