1 year of ownership - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

1 year of ownership

That year flew by and while I've enjoyed the rides w/my daughter, my sole purpose for buying the bike, I recently had hip surgery that did not go according to plans. I'm 3 weeks post-op but my left thigh and calf have been left about 60% numb from the surgery & follow-up procedure and there's a possibility this will never get improve.

I see a long road to recovery ahead and am concerned that my riding days may be over, particularly w/the FJR as large & heavy as it is. I may also have to give up my beloved GT500 as I'm not sure how I'm going to shift w/my leg as it is.

I never imagined this could be a possible result of this surgery and am seriously pissed at the world right now.
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 03:51 PM
FJR Top Gun

Lee sorry to hear of your troubles. That's normally a pretty safe and common procedure. My wife had it done several years ago and said it was a piece of cake compared to her knee procedures.

Hope things turn out ok for you in the end.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 04:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Lee, Iím so sorry to hear that, I do understand your position as Iím going similar issues with my back and looking at possible surgery as well. Also lots of contemplation about my future with my fastest color red 14 and have only managed about 100mi o it so far this year where things were sorta good enough to ride.

I guess like me I would say donít rush into it as it ainít really costing anything just sitting and at least for me things are still in the ďtrying to figure out whatís wrong stagesĒ .

I also understand the really PISSED thing, I ďmannedĒ up yesterday to work on a stump removal thatís been needing removed for a while now but was only able to work for a little over an hour before I was nearly unable to walk, got lectured today at physical therapy about it and it was all I could do not to come unglued, I know He was right but Iím not 10yrs old & I canít just stop living, so all that said hang in there and be happy to have time with your family, the important things !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 06:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreman View Post
That year flew by and while I've enjoyed the rides w/my daughter, my sole purpose for buying the bike, I recently had hip surgery that did not go according to plans. I'm 3 weeks post-op but my left thigh and calf have been left about 60% numb from the surgery & follow-up procedure and there's a possibility this will never get improve. . . .

I never imagined this could be a possible result of this surgery and am seriously pissed at the world right now.
Lee

I'm sorry for your pain, Lee. I don't want to say I know how you feel, because I don't, but I join you in being "seriously pissed at the world right now." :--(
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

It's coming up on 5 years ago that was the worst day of my life .
My 22 yo daughter passed away .

I probably never really understood this prayer under some time after that .

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference .

I wish all the best for you (and Steve,and certainly many others here) .

George
passx and 2014oldred like this.

2015 FJR1300 A
2010 H-D XR1200 , a Sportster on steroids

I wasn't born here in GA , but I got here as fast as I could !

Last edited by georgepittenger; 06-09-2020 at 07:03 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 07:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Best wishes, Lee. Sometimes there are issues early into the recovery, seems bad now but it should go better with time. Hang in there, chin up and all that. Stick with the PT.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

3 weeks ago, they removed a fist-sized tumor from my l. hip, thankfully non-cancerous. During the procedure it appears the surgeon unknowingly clipped or nicked an artery.

What was supposed to be an overnight stay turned into 4 days of excruciating pain in the hospital, w/no answer because no doctor ever checked up on me to see what was going on. They just kept jacking me up w/heavy meds to kill the pain and then sent me home 4 days later.

The day after returning home the pain was back & I went to another hospital. They found the bleeder & a vascular surgeon fixed it, but not before I had lost 6 units of blood, requiring transfusions then too, as well as another 3 day stay in the hospital. On day 7, I went home, only to be taken back to the ER several days later for fear of a pulmonary embolism. Thankfully, that wasn't the case & I got to go home that day.

I've been recovering now for more than 2 weeks at home & progress is dreadfully slow. I look like I've aged 10 years, dropped 20 lbs but I'm sleeping better now and pain is more discomfort than anything else. I can walk unassisted and increase my distance every day but it ain't been easy. This has been the worst 3 weeks of my 60 years on this planet.

The nerve damage in my leg is most disconcerting overall. I never anticipated this & fear it will be a long time in recovery.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 10:03 PM
FJR Top Gun

What a nightmare. Again, wishing you the best.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 12:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Oh man, I can only say I really feel for you Lee. Thatís just awful, for many of us, and it sounds like that includes you, riding is a very important activity...I wish you the best and hopefully full recovery.

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 12:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepittenger View Post
It's coming up on 5 years ago that was the worst day of my life .
My 22 yo daughter passed away .

I probably never really understood this prayer under some time after that .

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference .

I wish all the best for you (and Steve,and certainly many others here) .

George
George, I just can not imagine the loss you feel...may your heart find happiness and peace in loving memories of your daughter.🙏🏼

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page