1 year of ownership - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 12:16 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

1 year of ownership

Lee,

Not my business, okay, but I'd like to add one thing more: supplements. By all accounts, nobody gets everything their bodies need in foods today. Your body has been assaulted, and even though intentions may have been the best, you should do what you can to help your body heal and recover now. There are many good daily multivitamin/mineral products available, some even age-related. Seek the advice of health food stores and pharmacists about the quality and sufficiency of any such products, and add a good multivitamin/mineral supplement to your diet. A little research could pay off well there.

Where bones need to repair, your body will rob calcium from every bone in your body to make repairs, if needed. That can make all of the other bones in your body easier to break. You can prevent that problem with Calcium Citrate + Vitamin D. Neither one does much by itself, but together, the pair is so beneficial that this combination product is sold as a single pill.

Can't hurt, might help, and maybe more than you will know. Best wishes.

My US$.02 worth.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 10:56 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Hi Lee, wishing you all the best on your recovery! I'll just throw this out there and you can take it or leave it. I know it can be exhausting to constantly frame everything this way, but, it could always be worse. Since this is related to motorcycles and legs I'll share. A very good friend of mine basically got T-boned by a car last year while on his motorcycle. He went septic in the hospital and **** near died and they had to amputate his left leg above the knee (after trying to save it below the knee for way too long which is why he went septic speaking of medical mess ups). He went through 3 amputations and lost his knee anyway. He'll probably never ride again among many other activities that require two good legs. He's lucky to be alive. Whenever I'm having a crappy day, which is often these days for various reasons, I just think that at least I have all my limbs still attached. I have food and shelter. My family is healthy. I'm alive. It could always be way worse. I'm admittedly a terrible stoic but it's best to *try* not to be angry about things that are completely outside of our control. I hope this doesn't come across as too preachy but I've been focusing a lot on these things lately trying to keep my own head up. Keep after it! And I want to thank you Lee, because I was having a bad morning and I already feel better after writing this and reminding myself to stop and smell the roses and just let go. Now I just have to go find some roses...
georgepittenger likes this.

2009 FJR1300A
2006 YZF600R (Sold)
2018 Subaru WRX
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 11:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
oldbaldsob,

I'd like to add here, trikes aren't just the same antique rigid technology, today. There are some interesting "leaning" conversions available, and I see them as good alternatives to regular bikes. Some may not be RickyRacers now, but the "trike" that you want may out there, or maybe soon. I found this video a while back, but there must be more, similar and maybe better. Due to age or some other stuff, I might need one of them someday, to keep riding. Watch it in full-screen.
Just a thought.

Yamaha now makes a leaning-3-wheeler as OEM.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 12:15 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Wow, really sorry to see this. I can only imagine how you feel. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with you at this point; hoping that your pain subsides and your progress continues however slow it may be. I lost my first wife to cancer in 2008 and that certainly challenged me as a human being; only after years of processing it did I change the way I looked at things. It's one of the main reasons why I turned to motorcycles again, to run away from all that reminded me of my misery at the time. Life is full of twists and turns, many times you are in the dark as to why something like this happens to you and it is difficult to grasp it. It's very raw for you right now, give it time to heal and time for yourself to process everything; we have an amazing capacity to adapt, but it takes time to get there. I wouldn't get rid of the bike or GT500 before you know your full potential to recover; recoveries from trauma take time and some more than others. Keeping it can possibly be a source of a positive goal, to get back to riding. Nothing is guaranteed, but I wouldn't do anything based on your feelings now. Being pissed at the world is completely normal, we're all capable of that depending on certain events that happen to us.

Really hope and pray your recover goes well Sir.
RaYzerman and Aroxx like this.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Appreciate everyone's thought/comments.

Last Thursday, 3 weeks + 1 day post the initial surgery, I finally felt like I had crested the mountain and was now looking downward. I was able to get some work done, attend a long conference call, make phone calls, check emails, etc for the first time in just under a month. Every day since has gotten better.

My leg is still crunked up & funky but functional. I'm now up to walking 2 miles a day but I'm pretty much wiped out after doing so.

Today was a day of 'firsts.' I got back behind the wheel of the GT500 & she cranked right over, this after sitting 3 weeks. I had to test my leg so I took my daughter out for a ride. All in all, it went well & w/my left leg being numb, pushing the clutch wasn't a real issue. Then we went out to dinner for the first time in probably 3+ months.

No, I'm not ready yet to even consider the FJR.

I start rehab tomorrow & have a visit w/the ortho doc Thursday. Guess I'll know more about my pending recovery then.

Again, thanks to all.
Lee
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 03:16 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

That's great news, glad you're making good progress. Take it slow and make sure you give it time, not that I have to tell you that. Keep us apprised; praying for more miracles to come for you.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page