Southern California Guys - Advice Please - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Liquidsilver

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Southern California Guys - Advice Please

Hey guys. Life circumstances place me in downtown Hollywood this week, and I'm grabbing a rental MT-09 to ride this Thursday and Friday.

I'm not a mile crusher on an unfamiliar bike, but I like the roads as twisty and uncrowded as I can get 'em.... and I'm not the expert navigator around there without a GPS, but I'd like some suggestions for where to go for a couple of day rides. I'm staying in Hollywood both nights.

Last time I was there, Day 1: I explored Mulholland Dr. and the surrounding roads... kinda fun. Ended up in Ojai and then circled back down. Day 2: Rode up in Angeles Crest and it was friggin' heaven! Loved that! Would be happy to do that again.

Any ideas without getting me too lost?

Thanks!

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:26 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Send a message via MSN to moparman70 Send a message via Yahoo to moparman70
Catching you late on this one but from the sounds of things your last visit did the most common ones -- from the Mulholland Dr ones -- The Snake was closed last time i checked a few months ago - basically from the Rock Store West --- try Latigo Canyon is you haven't been its off of PCH past Malibu and before Kanan Dune

One of my favorite runs is more north -- hit the 23 North to Los Angeles Ave --left or west to on Los Angeles to Moorpark ave which is the 23 ( cool little set of twisty stuff in the middle on this road ) - turn North on Moorpark follow it to the 126 -- turn left and head west to the 150 -- turn right or North on the 150 to Ojai and you may know the rest hit up hwy 33 -- up and back or follow it more north and turn on lockwood valley rd and head east to the I-5 --- slab it back if you done this route to the 5. nice little backwoods bar just up the road if you go to the lockwood valley -- look up Reyes Creek bar and grill --- its changed its name and so if it says closed its still there -- but not sure about the Covid status -- its in the area of this on the map --- Camp Scheideck Lodge

for the CREST -- Try going down the back side -- start on Angeles Crest but turn left on Angeles FOREST hwy and head north on it --

have fun

1986 FJ1200
1984 NiNJA 900 ( sold )
1990 FJ1200
2014 FJR1300

FZS and FX Waverunners
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hey Moparman, thanks for the post!

I couldn't get my phone to log on to this site while I was travelling but I was able to see your post and study your suggestions. Thank you!

Everything about my trip went like clockwork. Then when I walked up to the bike rental place Thursday, he pulled out the MT-09 and there were cords showing on the rear tire. I looked at it and just laughed. Then the rental guy looked at it and blushed red. He apologized profusely and gave me a free upgrade to a BMW S1000. This bike was perfect! It felt just like one of my own liter sport tourers back home. (Pics to follow)

Your suggestion about the CREST, awesome! I played there all day on Thursday. So nice... and even though it was hot down low (nothing like the hot of summer in the midwest or south), it was cool up in the mountains.

Friday, I started up and the top of Mulholland by Hollywood Bowl, and that was fun. I didn't scare too many ladies in their Range Rovers on their way to yoga. I ran that until it ends at Encino Hills drive, then slabbled over to where it picks up again south of Thousand Oaks. I was pretty happy with my luck with dead reckoning and not getting too lost. Then I ran the Mulholland Highway over to the Malibu canyons and played on a few of those. They are a scream! I liked 23 and the roads around it so much... I played until I got tired enough to call it a day. Bike had to be returned to Hollywood by 5pm.

What a blast!

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Here's some of my shots from the trip.

First, drove 2000 miles with my niece (love her dearly but drives like a squirrel and has very, very eclectic music tastes) - at least she let me do half of the driving.

Stop off in Tucumcari, NM for really yummy mexican food.

Make it to her neighborhood...

Lots of hugs for her psycho roommate. (No picture)

Arrive at the bike rental place and find out I have to settle for this instead of the MT-09

Have a blast riding Angeles Crest and the Malibu Canyons.

Return bike with about 250 extra miles forgiven (woohoo)

And fly home.

Then Sunday, riding dirt bikes with my son I sprain my wrist. (also no picture)

RaYzerman and moparman70 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page