Getting "Cannot identify Server" message - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 11:11 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Hipi, as an FYI, I did do the “keep me logged in” thing and I can get on the site w/o any issue, I can view everything unless someone attaches a photo that I try to open and then it asks me to log-in again and after doing so most times will still not open the attachment and send me back to the log-in yet again with no success no matter how many times I log-in.

Now I did reboot my iPad and it now allows me to open the attachments w/o asking me to log-in again, only on this site, never on any other sites I frequent.

This has been a problem here for a number of us for Some reason, with no solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Yes, the problem is the forum software was written and debugged using a promiscuous browser so the writer took liberties not knowing.

Just for fun go find a post with two picture attachments. I find I can always view the 2nd but never the first.

Have had similar problem somewhere with inline images. That forum somehow morphed the URL that Safari would not accept if the link contained the tilde ~ which is used to denote a user account. One could hack the message by starting a Reply which displayed the URL raw, copy, paste into new browser window, and all was fine. Just couldn't do it directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I will say this for Apple. I switched because I was tired of m Windows based PCs slowing down and just in general having all sorts of bugs. I put up with it for years. I went all in on Apple with iPhones, iPads and MacBook Air. I almost never have issues now. I'm pretty sure this one is because my iPad is about eight years old, or more, and I can no longer get updates on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
You would HOPE they develop to standards but I actually ran into compatibility issues and had to contact developer support. I was told. flat out, that "whatever we make is automatically a standard."

That could be. Years ago Apple (Apple ][ to Mac) decided that, the best way to keep their platform optimized and performing better, it would occasionally cut loose old hardware and software to move forward. As such, they are more likely to deprecate stuff than M$ does. As such, you get the trade off of tighter integration and less ancient code in exchange for software/hardware support sometimes being cut loose (but no forum issues yet).

I have an iPad Mini that is getting older too. Had to look to see it's build year: Late 2015. Still working fine but just starting to notice a little degradation in response times that I attribute to updates in iOS and software that expects more modern horsepower.
talking about the standards depends what company you are talking about because you have open standards like IEEE and then you have closed standards like apple specific protocols and for exaple EIGRP from cisco. so ofc apple will say everything is build to standards bc they set them themselves

Quote:
I'll have to take back my comment... was looking at a thread with multi-pics and got the "not logged in" message. Running W10, Firefox, with ad blocker and cookie killer (you can set to not block any site)... but don't generally have a problem. It is likely a bug in the forum software that I'm sure someone could take a look at if they really wanted to. Has anyone reported this to admin?
it's interesting how it only happens under certain conditions in your case your cookie killer might have some play in it and im curious if you still have it when its turned off i would like to look into it and i'll try to recreate it and see what happens to the cookie but i'm thinking that it's something to do with the framework that the site is ran off

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
talking about the standards depends what company you are talking about because you have open standards like IEEE and then you have closed standards like apple specific protocols and for exaple EIGRP from cisco. so ofc apple will say everything is build to standards bc they set them themselves
Apple is not using "closed standards". An awful lot of web developers hate Safari because it does what HTML says and not what Internet Exploder did.

If you think that is the situation then please document.
bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 09:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'll have to take back my comment... was looking at a thread with multi-pics and got the "not logged in" message. Running W10, Firefox, with ad blocker and cookie killer (you can set to not block any site)... but don't generally have a problem. It is likely a bug in the forum software that I'm sure someone could take a look at if they really wanted to. Has anyone reported this to admin?

More importantly, would it matter since it was sold to some corporation?
Quote:

True enough from 50,000 feet but we're talking web browser design. Since web sites are meant to reach as many people as possible, using proprietary calls from one mfgr (say M$) that don't play well (render) in other browsers flies in the face of any company that gets saddled with such design choices; REDUCING the number of people who you reach. So, from the perspective of nape-of-the-earth fly-bys (just browsers) ANY proprietary calls are anathema.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-09-2020 at 09:58 AM.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 10:29 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Apple is not using "closed standards". An awful lot of web developers hate Safari because it does what HTML says and not what Internet Exploder did.

If you think that is the situation then please document.
Apple still uses proprietary standards and protocols i wasn't talking specifically about safari here and "developers hate Safari because it does what HTML says and not what Internet Exploder did" i don't really get what you mean with this if what you mean is that developers test mainly on IE and if it looks good there then they just use it? if that's what you're saying then you're very wrong

Quote:
More importantly, would it matter since it was sold to some corporation?

True enough from 50,000 feet but we're talking web browser design. Since web sites are meant to reach as many people as possible, using proprietary calls from one mfgr (say M$) that don't play well (render) in other browsers flies in the face of any company that gets saddled with such design choices; REDUCING the number of people who you reach. So, from the perspective of nape-of-the-earth fly-bys (just browsers) ANY proprietary calls are anathema.
i fully agree with this and that's the problem we face today we have different browsers from different company to do the same thing but each company goes about it differently by using different render engines and patching them differently but sadly we can't do much about this other then use the browser that is mostly optimized with the most viewers since developers will mainly be looking towards those browsers with the most use

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 12:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I then gather no one has informed admin so they can look into it, so our problem will continue... one of you more plagued by it can likely provide better detail.
I believe this is a Verticalscope forum, they are the corporation.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 01:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Apple still uses proprietary standards and protocols
Name them.

Quote:
i wasn't talking specifically about safari here and "developers hate Safari because it does what HTML says and not what Internet Exploder did" i don't really get what you mean with this if what you mean is that developers test mainly on IE and if it looks good there then they just use it? if that's what you're saying then you're very wrong
Am totally right. Just use Safari and find numerous sites posting notices “This site does not support Safari.” Less today than in recent past. Some won’t let you pass, others will let you try. This is very prevalent on internal US Government websites. Not long ago Rocky Mountain ATV/MC tried this stunt. More recently had a page that was wider than an iPad but hard coded to prevent one from scrolling or resizing smaller.

Safari has an option to change the browser ID tag for sites which won’t otherwise let one pass.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 02:24 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Name them.

Am totally right. Just use Safari and find numerous sites posting notices “This site does not support Safari.” Less today than in recent past. Some won’t let you pass, others will let you try. This is very prevalent on internal US Government websites. Not long ago Rocky Mountain ATV/MC tried this stunt. More recently had a page that was wider than an iPad but hard coded to prevent one from scrolling or resizing smaller.

Safari has an option to change the browser ID tag for sites which won’t otherwise let one pass.
Apple's proprietary protocols: Airplay/Airtunes, Remote Audio Output Protocol (RAOP), Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), Apple File Service (AFS), FaceTime and so much more

when talking here about safari there is an obvious difference between a desktop version or a portable (ipad/iphone/ipod) its been a couple years since i left the webdev field but safari always behaved well same with chrome and firefox and IE would be the ugly duckling. websites that have difficulties with screen sizes are generally old sites or made by someone who hasn't been working the webdev field for close to 10 years 7 to 8 to be more precise so if you run into this its generally an old site or just badly made eitherway you've given yourself multiple reasons to step away from safari.

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 09:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I then gather no one has informed admin so they can look into it, so our problem will continue... one of you more plagued by it can likely provide better detail.
I believe this is a Verticalscope forum, they are the corporation.

Would they listen? Most efforts to reach out to them go unnoticed (or at least responded to). We still have a few user/moderators but the real admins are absentee landlords.

Quote:
Apple's proprietary protocols: Airplay/Airtunes, Remote Audio Output Protocol (RAOP), Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), Apple File Service (AFS), FaceTime and so much more

In context though (web distribution of content) none of those are of interest. Proprietary means of doing things no one else is doing (or doing it within the curated sandboxes of the OS) isn't the same as web browser standardization. I'm not saying the above is incorrect. I'm saying none of those exclusives are relevant to the topic at hand.

BTW, you forgot AFPS.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-10-2020 at 09:18 AM.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:

In context though (web distribution of content) none of those are of interest. Proprietary means of doing things no one else is doing (or doing it within the curated sandboxes of the OS) isn't the same as web browser standardization. I'm not saying the above is incorrect. I'm saying none of those exclusives are relevant to the topic at hand.

BTW, you forgot AFPS.
thats what i mentioned before that im not talking about safari or browsers when talking about apples proprietary protocols

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 10:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
thats what i mentioned before that im not talking about safari or browsers when talking about apples proprietary protocols

Understood. It seemed out of place given that the context was building to standards IN browsers.
N4HHE likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page