Getting "Cannot identify Server" message - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:40 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Could it be because Apple complies with IEEE standards for HTML while M$ makes their own proprietary calls to their own proprietary libraries in the web development tools so that people build to reach customers yet fail to when only M$ products can render it?

I have an iPhone, iPad Mini, Mac Mini, and Wintel PC and none of them have these issues. I think it's telling with the below response. Mine aren't so old they've been deprecated.

Maybe updates that address new HTML calls, security issues, etc? Try loading an optional browser to use (Firefox for example) and see if that fixes the old tablet.

I have all my privacy settings locked down (tracking, cookies, cache, etc.) so they CAN'T save cookies and clear everything on exit. I NEVER stay logged in (it would clear that cookie on exit anyway); always logging in fresh to make a new connections. I don't want any chance of malicious intent (someone corrupting a forum, not the forum doing it intentionally). Drive by exploits on web sites is real and actively ongoing. Just visit one of those sites and they can exploit Java (and more) to get into your system.
well everyone has to hold themselves to the IEEE standards thats why they are standards but of course developers can build of those making them in their own thing but then we are talking about browsers and since every browser(or version of the browser) works on every OS it has nothing to do with that. if people would develop software for mass use like the browsers they are not going to make it so only certain OS's can use it that would diminish the amount of users which is obviously not their point

HTML has been on version 5 for so long now so there wont be any new HTML tags that the device cant read talking about js is different tho but indeed as i said before trying an other browser is going to be your best option .

and for the last part they cant get into your system through js or XSS they can get into the webserver not your pc

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 10:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Myself, for the past week or so, I cannot open any attachments w/o it asking for me to “login” again. It’s only on this site, used to be only occasionally but now it’s everytime. I use a iPad by the way, may try rebooting it.
Thats what I was saying. If there are two attachments in the posting then you can open the 2nd but not the first.

The problem is that Apple doesn't recognize the URL as one belonging to any cookies so Apple rightly refuses to share whatever cookies it has.
bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 04:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Hipi, as an FYI, I did do the “keep me logged in” thing and I can get on the site w/o any issue, I can view everything unless someone attaches a photo that I try to open and then it asks me to log-in again and after doing so most times will still not open the attachment and send me back to the log-in yet again with no success no matter how many times I log-in.

Now I did reboot my iPad and it now allows me to open the attachments w/o asking me to log-in again, only on this site, never on any other sites I frequent.

This has been a problem here for a number of us for Some reason, with no solution.
N4HHE likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 06-07-2020 at 04:21 PM.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 06:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Hipi, as an FYI, I did do the “keep me logged in” thing and I can get on the site w/o any issue, I can view everything unless someone attaches a photo that I try to open and then it asks me to log-in again and after doing so most times will still not open the attachment and send me back to the log-in yet again with no success no matter how many times I log-in.
Yes, the problem is the forum software was written and debugged using a promiscuous browser so the writer took liberties not knowing.

Just for fun go find a post with two picture attachments. I find I can always view the 2nd but never the first.

Have had similar problem somewhere with inline images. That forum somehow morphed the URL that Safari would not accept if the link contained the tilde ~ which is used to denote a user account. One could hack the message by starting a Reply which displayed the URL raw, copy, paste into new browser window, and all was fine. Just couldn't do it directly.
bounce and passx like this.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I will say this for Apple. I switched because I was tired of m Windows based PCs slowing down and just in general having all sorts of bugs. I put up with it for years. I went all in on Apple with iPhones, iPads and MacBook Air. I almost never have issues now. I'm pretty sure this one is because my iPad is about eight years old, or more, and I can no longer get updates on it.
bounce and N4HHE like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 01:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I will say this for Apple. I switched because I was tired of m Windows based PCs slowing down and just in general having all sorts of bugs. I put up with it for years. I went all in on Apple with iPhones, iPads and MacBook Air. I almost never have issues now. I'm pretty sure this one is because my iPad is about eight years old, or more, and I can no longer get updates on it.
It occurs with iOS 13.5.1 on my Air 2.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 08:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

since passx has said that after rebooting his ipad he now can see the first attachment it does seem to be a bug with safari but also a bug with the website if i would have a ios device and had this issue i would definitely be interested in trouble shooting this issue possibly the version of vbulletin this website runs on but since i can't i recommend everyone who has this issue to either reboot the device and see if it still has this issue or install a different browser like chrome/chromium or firefox @jjscix i would try this and see if it helps anything wish i could help more but if i cant reproduce this bug i cant test for it

my guess is that somehow the first attachment makes the session expire but this is just a guess in the dark
bounce likes this.

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

This is an old forum platform. Just about every other forum I’m on,which is quite a few, have recently upgraded. I assume they are forums owned by the same company.
bounce likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
well everyone has to hold themselves to the IEEE standards thats why they are standards but of course developers can build of those making them in their own thing but then we are talking about browsers and since every browser(or version of the browser) works on every OS it has nothing to do with that. if people would develop software for mass use like the browsers they are not going to make it so only certain OS's can use it that would diminish the amount of users which is obviously not their point

HTML has been on version 5 for so long now so there wont be any new HTML tags that the device cant read talking about js is different tho but indeed as i said before trying an other browser is going to be your best option .

and for the last part they cant get into your system through js or XSS they can get into the webserver not your pc

You would HOPE they develop to standards but I actually ran into compatibility issues and had to contact developer support. I was told. flat out, that "whatever we make is automatically a standard."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
That could be. Years ago Apple (Apple ][ to Mac) decided that, the best way to keep their platform optimized and performing better, it would occasionally cut loose old hardware and software to move forward. As such, they are more likely to deprecate stuff than M$ does. As such, you get the trade off of tighter integration and less ancient code in exchange for software/hardware support sometimes being cut loose (but no forum issues yet).

I have an iPad Mini that is getting older too. Had to look to see it's build year: Late 2015. Still working fine but just starting to notice a little degradation in response times that I attribute to updates in iOS and software that expects more modern horsepower.
jjscsix likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 06-08-2020 at 10:30 AM.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 10:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'll have to take back my comment... was looking at a thread with multi-pics and got the "not logged in" message. Running W10, Firefox, with ad blocker and cookie killer (you can set to not block any site)... but don't generally have a problem. It is likely a bug in the forum software that I'm sure someone could take a look at if they really wanted to. Has anyone reported this to admin?
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page