• 1 Post By bounce
  • 1 Post By red
  • 1 Post By rbentnail
  • 1 Post By mattemike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

A different Riding expereince..

Worked on my work Car yesterday putting on a valve cover gasket and upper motor mount..I have some choice words for NISSAN and their thinking but thats for a different forum. Anyway, hands greasy, clothes greasy and oily and I need to make a tool / Part run. Wife was in the truck in town so I had to ride the bike. Didnt feel like putting my clean gear overtop all my greasy clothes and didnt feel like changing just to come home and change back into greasy clothes. SO, Grabbed my old cracked helmet and hopped on the DR in shorts, and a tshirt, no gloves and took off for the parts store. I gotta say I felt like I was running illegal, but dang it felt nice. Im ATGATT 99% of the time, and I NEVER ride in shorts.. But dang it felt good. I totally get it now whan I see folks in Nothing buta tshirt and shorts cruising down a backroad, tyoically on a cruiser of some sort.
Not a thread to start the Full gear vs no gear blah blah, and Im still gonna wear my gear as I normally would, but it was a fun outing!
N4HHE likes this.

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Ron

I grew up in FL and started riding on my 14th birthday .

No helmet , no gloves , and no sense !

Now that I am ........ more mature , the idea of riding in shorts makes me shiver .
And I've seen many guys riding without gloves in my area just this past weekend .
I gotta say that after several up close and personal meetings with Mr Pavement
the thought of riding without gloves holds no appeal .

BUT , I get your thrill of the moment . Once in awhile you gotta say the heck with
rules , responsibilities and such .

Long live EASY RIDER !

George
ronheater1970 and 2GENAE like this.

2015 FJR1300 A
2010 H-D XR1200 , a Sportster on steroids

I wasn't born here in GA , but I got here as fast as I could !

Last edited by georgepittenger; 06-01-2020 at 08:30 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I take the Zuma 125 to the mailbox everyday in shorts and a t-shirt and flipflops, no helmet. Granted, the mailbox is about 800 feet away but beats walking. It's a nice feeling but not something I would do going any further.

I've had great luck with Nissan's and love my 6 speed Xterra, but I'm sure they've done some things to make you scratch your head a few times. My Xterra if an "OFF ROAD" edition but is 2wd. weird..
ronheater1970 likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 09:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In my youth skateboard, bicycle, and Kawasaki 100 was enough that at one time I had 8 visible layers of road rash on my left forearm. At least one from each source.

Before long I decided that I needed elbow pads. At that time about all that was available was made for hockey players. To this day I still wear elbow pads off-road.
bounce and ronheater1970 like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It only takes a fraction of a second to have to "manage" rr for a few weeks.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I started riding at 5 on an Idian 50.. Can still remember being a 9 yr old racing aorund the woods and fields in shorts and tshirt all summer on a Suzuki ds 80.. I can remember wrecking on gravel and getting scraped up pretty good, never thought twice about it I guess.. Even as I grew into a teenager and young adult and riding everything from an IT 200.. (great bike BTW) to a CR 500 and everything in between, I wore a helmet and that was it.. Had one bad wreck that left me with a bad burn that required hospitalization that if I had been wearing some gear or even a long sleeve shirt, wouldnt have happened. Dont know, but when I started road riding I just always instinctively had at least long pants on.. Good friend went sliding down the road hands first after the front brake locked up on an old cb 360 he had been restoring. After that I realized maybe to wear gloves..L

So Yea it was only about a 7 mile round trip, was fun and refreshing, but it wont be the norm for me!

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 12:47 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

A different Riding expereince..

One Fourth of July lately, I rode out to watch a relative doing his city's big fireworks show.
Being our Independence Day, I did not wear a helmet, but I did wear a heavy denim shirt and pants.
My relative watched me pull in, and then asked me "Who are you, and what did you do with the owner of that bike?"

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 05:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'll do that sometimes, whizz down the road & backin shorts and tennies, having hosed off the worst of the grime, you know, just to blow out the excess water. When in South Carolina and going out to empty streets for a sunrise breakfast I have been known to ride helmetless for a couple miles. But doing that at hwy speeds gets you sandblasted. When in Key West, I did ride helmetless & in shorts and tennies. The max speed there is like 15 mph, better off renting a scooter or bicycle than hustling the weight of the FJR.

To me it's a weird feeling. Having that much leg hair moving at speed can definitely be intoxicating.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Rode only once in shorts/tee shirt so of course I I crashed. Augered imy ZX-11 into the ground about 15 miles from home. Rode home with blood dripping from road rashed arm & leg. Last count was 3 surgeries for different repairs. Was so sore when I got home I had to have my neighbor pry me off the bike. But in the tradition of a true rider, I was more worried about the bike. Haven't ridden since without ATGATT.
bounce likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page