5/28/2020 Bought new 2020 Ninja 1000SX - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 565
5/28/2020 Bought new 2020 Ninja 1000SX

Other bikes frequently come up for discussion, so I thought some folks might be interested in my review of my new 2020 Ninja 1000. I traded my KTM Superduke GT for it.

To save myself some work, here is a link to my thread on the Ninja 1000 forum. There are a couple of posts I made that are easy to find on the first page of this thread. Posts number 1 and 13 give my review of the bike.

https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/th...5/#post-393772

Here are a couple of pics with my other bikes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4436.jpg (216.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4437.jpg (241.2 KB, 26 views)
Chicago_FJR and the Ferret like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

Last edited by jjscsix; 05-31-2020 at 06:10 AM.
jjscsix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
FJR Top Gun
 
the Ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,065
Congrats on the new ride. Haven't had a Kawasaki since 1977 ( Kz1000a which was btw a great motorcycle) Hope you get many happy miles out of it.

I'm astonished at how few keep KTMs for very long.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
the Ferret is online now  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 01:10 AM
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: west coast central florida
Posts: 22
1000sx

congrats, I had a red '11 and a green '12...excellent rides, a great machine...happy to not have a chain drive...tho the concentric chain adjuster on these is phenomenal...I could adjust the chain with the bike on the side stand in about 5 minutes!

don't be a nimrod; confound the globalists
1st bike 1964 Honda 305 Superhawk, used $415,2k mi.
2nd bike: 1969 Triumph Bonneville 650 used otd $780
only bike bought new 1974 Kawasaki Z1B 900 otd $2400
Ninja 1000s,Bandit 1200s,Vfrs inbetween...
sold last yr. 2010 Kawasaki Concourse 1400
current: 2006 FJR 1300 Blue , 23k mi. 5/20
Bigthaw is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 06:17 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
RaYzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Millgrove, ON, CA
Posts: 6,503
No doubt a nice machine. Chains don't bother me at all. Love the concentric adjuster on the VFR also, cool idea.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
RaYzerman is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Congrats on the new ride. Haven't had a Kawasaki since 1977 ( Kz1000a which was btw a great motorcycle) Hope you get many happy miles out of it.

I'm astonished at how few keep KTMs for very long.
I never keep anything long. That is just the norm for me. At 31,000 miles in just over two years I knew the bike would be worthless as I kept racking up the miles. I bought it for the same reason I came back to the FJR after two BMW 1600s. I just don't trust the long term reliability of European bikes like I do the FJR and Ninja 1000.

I deal directly with the owner of the dealer who I have gotten to know very well, and he is both the Kawasaki and KTM dealer. Even he told me that the KTM would be hard to sell with high mileage because "buyers don't want high mileage European bikes out of warranty".

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
jjscsix is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 06:41 AM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Lancaster NY/Zephyrills FL
Posts: 63
I've had a Ninja 1000 in the past & loved it too. Often wish I was still riding it. Power was addictive.
mattemike is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Chicago_FJR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 173
Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Other bikes frequently come up for discussion, so I thought some folks might be interested in my review of my new 2020 Ninja 1000. I traded my KTM Superduke GT for it.

To save myself some work, here is a link to my thread on the Ninja 1000 forum. There are a couple of posts I made that are easy to find on the first page of this thread. Posts number 1 and 13 give my review of the bike.

https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/th...5/#post-393772

Here are a couple of pics with my other bikes...
Thanks for sharing, that's a nice write-up! I rode a '00 Kawi Nomad 1500 from '00-'05 (red and gray and chrome and chrome and. . !). Loved it! I grew up in Nebraska and the plant was an important component of the Lincoln Metro area.

Safe travels!
Patrick
Chicago_FJR is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 143
Congratulations Jim, thatís a super nice machine!

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
Yammieboy is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 565
Thanks for the replies. The more I ride it, the more I like it. It surprises me how much different it feels than the 2011 I had. The front geometry has been changed which made a big difference in how responsive the handling is and how light it makes the bike feel in the twisties. There have been a couple of sets of changes since the 2011. It now has LED front and rear lights, better wind protection via a upgraded fairing, full TFT instrumentation which blows away the earlier ones, and even the FJR's. Even the seat is a huge improvement that was made for 2020. I don't think I will have to go aftermarket, which means it will be the first bike since my 2006 FJR that I sold ten years ago that I did not by a Sargent seat for.

Yammieboy, it sounds like you and I have the same program. A long distance bike, a light your hair on fire sport bike, then the "middle bike" that is the bike for doing the bulk of our day rides.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
jjscsix is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Thanks for the replies. The more I ride it, the more I like it. It surprises me how much different it feels than the 2011 I had. The front geometry has been changed which made a big difference in how responsive the handling is and how light it makes the bike feel in the twisties. There have been a couple of sets of changes since the 2011. It now has LED front and rear lights, better wind protection via a upgraded fairing, full TFT instrumentation which blows away the earlier ones, and even the FJR's. Even the seat is a huge improvement that was made for 2020. I don't think I will have to go aftermarket, which means it will be the first bike since my 2006 FJR that I sold ten years ago that I did not by a Sargent seat for.

Yammieboy, it sounds like you and I have the same program. A long distance bike, a light your hair on fire sport bike, then the "middle bike" that is the bike for doing the bulk of our day rides.
Hi Jim,
Yes, that does indeed appear to be the case! something about great minds...
I've felt drawn to the Ninja 1000 since they came out many years ago (around 2008 I think?), but being a bit of a Yamaha die-hard, I just never took the step, as I had an FZ-1(actually 2, a 2001 then a 2008 ) for the longest time and was quite happy with it.
Based on some youtube reviews I've seen, the 2020 is a notable improvement in all the ways you mention to the previous versions...the significant thing being low speed handling and how hard the rider had to work to get the bike to turn in tight corners, and that appears to properly resolved with the 2020 update. I would sure like to own one someday before too long, so will be quite interested if you continue to share your experiences here.
Enjoy your new ride!
Juan
jjscsix likes this.

2015 Yamaha FJR 1300ES
2015 Yamaha R1
2018 Triumph Street Triple RS

Last edited by Yammieboy; 06-01-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Yammieboy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome