About to buy.... mileage question.... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

About to buy.... mileage question....

So it’s likely in the next week I’m going to buy a 2014 FJR1300A....yes, another red one 😛 It’s a one owner, with 16,xxx miles on it. Services were apparently done at the dealer. The only thing that hasn’t been done is the linkage, but the guy has assured me that the tech checks it every oil change or two and said it doesn’t need it yet. It has some nice extras like smuggler trunk and Clearwater lights etc, price is right as well. I know these are mile muncher’s, but there’s still a small part of me that wishes it was 7k miles or something as opposed to 16k. Am i hesitating for no reason?

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

Dear Lord, yes! I'm on my second FJR. I put 44,000 miles on my 2006 and it ran and looked like new when I sold it. After owning a Concours 14 and two BMW1600 GTs, I went back to an FJR. It is now 16 months old (it was a leftover 2017) and I have 23,000 miles on it. I expect I'll probably have 80,000 when I trade it in a few years, and someone will get a heck of a nice bike for cheap.

Miles on FJRs are not a problem.
philharmonic and FJRChuck like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
Dear Lord, yes! I'm on my second FJR. I put 44,000 miles on my 2006 and it ran and looked like new when I sold it. After owning a Concours 14 and two BMW1600 GTs, I went back to an FJR. It is now 16 months old (it was a leftover 2017) and I have 23,000 miles on it. I expect I'll probably have 80,000 when I trade it in a few years, and someone will get a heck of a nice bike for cheap.

Miles on FJRs are not a problem.
That’s good to hear. You think the linkage is probably fine for now? Was that an issue on older ones mainly?

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 05:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I put 16,xxx miles on mine the first year. Now creeping up on 130,xxx miles.

What is this "linkage" thing you speak of? "The linkage" isn't very descriptive or helpful when trying to answer questions. There's several "linkages" on the FJR.
FJRChuck likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

And no one is going to disassemble a ďlinkageĒ,
And not clean and lube and/or replace worn out parts. Itís too much trouble to do to just look at it and reassemble.

So- a) I donít think itís been done. And b) donít worry about it. I rode 80,000 plus hard miles, much of it in the wet, on my 2014. Never disassembled any linkage. Bike functioned perfectly. Iíve got 44,000+ on my 2018. Havenít done anything to them yet.
FJRChuck likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I put 16,xxx miles on mine the first year. Now creeping up on 130,xxx miles.

What is this "linkage" thing you speak of? "The linkage" isn't very descriptive or helpful when trying to answer questions. There's several "linkages" on the FJR.
The rear shock suspension linkage everyone’s always talking about...

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

I never even knew it was a thing when I had my first FJR, so no, it was never touched. I figure if it was something that needed much attention they would have put a grease fitting on it. I've never even had to put new wheel or steering stems bearings on a bike.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
The rear shock suspension linkage everyoneís always talking about...
Oh, that one. I went about 55,xxx miles before I looked at mine. It was fine. As Bill says, I doubt anyone disassembles just to look without cleaning and lubing, minimum, as it can be a PITA especially if the FSM is followed. I looked it again at 95,xxx when I replaced the rear shock absorber and again it was fine. Didn't even need a lube then. And like Bill, I too live and ride in the wet often, including the last 2 hurricanes that came through.

Russ
2007A

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
And b) don’t worry about it. I rode 80,000 plus hard miles, much of it in the wet, on my 2014. Never disassembled any linkage. Bike functioned perfectly. I’ve got 44,000+ on my 2018. Haven’t done anything to them yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I never even knew it was a thing when I had my first FJR, so no, it was never touched. I figure if it was something that needed much attention they would have put a grease fitting on it. I've never even had to put new wheel or steering stems bearings on a bike.
All good things to hear!

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
The rear shock suspension linkage everyone’s always talking about...
Oh, that one. I went about 55,xxx miles before I looked at mine. It was fine. As Bill says, I doubt anyone disassembles just to look without cleaning and lubing, minimum, as it can be a PITA especially if the FSM is followed. I looked it again at 95,xxx when I replaced the rear shock absorber and again it was fine. Didn't even need a lube then. And like Bill, I too live and ride in the wet often, including the last 2 hurricanes that came through.
I wouldn’t be shocked if the stories were from early models and/or ones that sat a long time, perhaps.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page