How Harley Davidson Killed Itself - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 PM
FJR Top Gun

I rode a Scout at one of the demo days. Didnt do anything for me. Have not ridden the FTR 1200 but would if given the chance. Our local Indian dealer lasted 2 years and went out of business a few years ago.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopheadama View Post
The FJR will go cross country AND make it back.
Man I ride with some retired guys from church on Harleys with over 100K on them in 3.5 years.. While I know they aren't a Honda or a Yamaha, they sure aren't junk either, and are super comftorably and I really like that V twin torque. Nope it isn't an FJR, and not a replacement for one, it's in addition too, Kinda like a Dual sport!, Serves a different purpose!

Ron

40 years on all kinds of 2-wheeled creations
Current Bike: 08 FJR1300
post #23 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 01:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Is not Yamaha killing themselves by seemingly abandoning the FJR in favor of the flop v-twin heavy tourer and poser-bikes?
rbentnail, passx, Brian20 and 1 others like this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #24 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Harley is in a bad spot no doubt and they have both put themselves there and done nothing to remedy the situation. I ride a lot of them at work and they are not bad bikes just not for me. I always look at the RoadKing as the original adventure touring bike. You see lots of old pictures of them on dirt roads. There must be something about them because they are about 50% of the US motorcycle market and every Japanese company plus a few others tries to emulate them. If HD had evolved the V Twin, the same way BMW has evolved the boxer I honestly believe they would be in a different place today having both the faithful and new people to sell to. I do get the lifestyle thing, not that I want any part of it regardless of brand. Its the same to me as the BMW people or the Ducatistis or whatever it is, they all drink their own KoolAid. What I will never understand is what skulls and motorcycles have to do with each other? How and why HD’s marketing/lifestyle dept does that make so sense to me and is a complete turn off. But that’s just me.
passx, N4HHE, cra-z1 and 3 others like this.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
03 FZ1
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T

Last edited by Donk; 05-24-2020 at 07:15 AM.
post #25 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Is not Yamaha killing themselves by seemingly abandoning the FJR in favor of the flop v-twin heavy tourer and poser-bikes?
Makes no sense to me either. And worse yet they gave one of the big stupid POS to Long Haul Paul to ride around as a brand ambassador. Not the way Id go.

The resident KTM owner.

14 FJR (sold)
03 FZ1
13 990 SMT
15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #26 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:32 AM
FJR Top Gun

Donk, just the other day I was pondering the skull and motorcycle thing too as I was following a pickup with a giant skull and HD decal in back window. Wonder how that got started and wonder why the motor co adopted it. Strange if you ask me.

And who is long haul Paul?

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #27 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
I do get the lifestyle thing, not that I want any part of it regardless of brand. Its the same to me as the BMW people or the Ducatistis or whatever it is, they all drink their own KoolAid. What I will never understand is what skulls and motorcycles have to do with each other? How and why HDs marketing/lifestyle dept does that make so sense to me and is a complete turn off. But thats just me.
This statement is such bullsh!t it rocks the scales! Have you ever looked at pictures of yourselves? Same spacesuits, same helmets, same comm systems, same accessories. Newsflash- we are they, with all our fanatical posturing about how good FJRs are and how bad everyone else is, overzealously defended to the end! The FJR "lifstyle" is different but exactly the same.
Bill Lumberg and rgb like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
You guys may be right, but I am still not convinced Yamaha is killing the FJR. If they do, many of us will be pretty much screwed. Im done buying European bikes, and nobody else builds a true sport Touring bike with the features that are must haves for me, like Cruise Control.
N4HHE likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #29 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Harley is in a bad spot no doubt and they have both put themselves there and done nothing to remedy the situation. I ride a lot of them at work and they are not bad bikes just not for me. I always look at the RoadKing as the original adventure touring bike. You see lots of old pictures of them on dirt roads. There must be something about them because they are about 50% of the US motorcycle market and every Japanese company plus a few others tries to emulate them. If HD had evolved the V Twin, the same way BMW has evolved the boxer I honestly believe they would be in a different place today having both the faithful and new people to sell to. I do get the lifestyle thing, not that I want any part of it regardless of brand. Its the same to me as the BMW people or the Ducatistis or whatever it is, they all drink their own KoolAid. What I will never understand is what skulls and motorcycles have to do with each other? How and why HD’s marketing/lifestyle dept does that make so sense to me and is a complete turn off. But that’s just me.
Actually, HD has evolved the engine. I’m not sure the bikes are their problem. I have a business degree and like understanding the business side of what companies do.

Too many companies sell their soul for growth instead of gearing their business model for the niche they are in. I worked in an industry where there were a handful of really big global players, and a lot of family owned regional, or even single location players. The smaller ones generally did very well by not trying to grow beyond the natural extensions of who they already were.

This is akin to Harley unsuccessfully acquiring MV, Buell, EBC, spending lots of money on the V-Rod etc.
Donk likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #30 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
This statement is such bullsh!t it rocks the scales! Have you ever looked at pictures of yourselves? Same spacesuits, same helmets, same comm systems, same accessories. Newsflash- we are they, with all our fanatical posturing about how good FJRs are and how bad everyone else is, overzealously defended to the end! The FJR "lifstyle" is different but exactly the same.

Gotta disagree with you there. They aren't exactly the same. "Spacesuits" and helmets offer the best protection and comfort (both of which I would argue enhances attention/safety) on long tours. I don't think they are fashion accessories. My last girlfriend said I looked dorky in that getup LOL. I would love to ride in a t-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes but I know better. When was the last time you saw someone on a Harley wear a full-face helmet?

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)

Last edited by oldbaldsob; 05-24-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page