How Harley Davidson Killed Itself - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra-z1 View Post
In the 70"s I thought they were on their way out when they were bought by AMF, then came the tariff and a lot of baby boomers with money who bought into the style, just as Cagefree's retired banker did. Since the early 2000's I have been saying it can't last. There are selling to a group that are aging rapidly. Polaris is also in the same boat with the Indian however they are a bit more progressive with their engine designs, heck they even developed a water-cooled bike.
They have been selling to an aging group for 50 years now. Let that sink in.

The problem isn't so much Harley. The problem is that the American motorcycle market has shrunk tremendously. Ask any dealer how they are surviving. I'll virtually 100% assure you the answer will be ATVs. I know several owners of dealers and that is what they all have said. How many Harley ATVs do you see at Harley dealers?

In my riding I bet that at least half the bikes I pass are still Harley's. It's just that the whole pie is a lot smaller.
Liquidsilver, Gary B. and cra-z1 like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

I hope HD finds a way out of their predicament … the more choices there are, the better for all. I know several people who ride HDs - every one of them loves their bike, and has no illusions about what they bought into - good and bad.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 09:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
......<snip>My favorite HD products were the V-Rod and most of the Buell offerings. HD refused to develop that wonderful, Porsche engineered Revolution engine and then cancelled it altogether and pulled the plug on Buell. <snip>........
At a previous job, we developed the ECU for the V-Rod and the Porsche based engine. The Porsche engine was very impressive on the dyno and the few 'undercover' rides I was able to take.
oldbaldsob likes this.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.

post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blchandl2 View Post
At a previous job, we developed the ECU for the V-Rod and the Porsche based engine. The Porsche engine was very impressive on the dyno and the few 'undercover' rides I was able to take.
That's really cool! I just NEVER understood why HD never continued to develop that engine and used it in only one bike. I'm sure it was because it wasn't air-cooled and more expensive to manufacture which cut into the amount of money they could make off it. But it was an extremely reliable engine from what I've read on various Harley forums.

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)

Last edited by oldbaldsob; 05-23-2020 at 01:58 PM.
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:13 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
That is a good video by Fort-Nine. I agree that the introduction of the small displacement models and new styles by HD is too late. That market has already been filled by the Japanese big four. I personally like the HD touring line and think they should focus on excellence in this type motorcycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For those who weren't INTO motorcycles when the Harley tariffs were introduced, that is why you see all the 700cc Japanese motorcycles from those years, they were re-engineered to avoid the tariff on 750cc bikes.

It was always humorous to me that HD felt they were competing with the Jap 750 bikes, since the smallest "real" Harley was a 900cc "Sportster" and most were over 1200cc's. LOL
blchandl2 likes this.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 03:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaldsob View Post
That's really cool! I just NEVER understood why HD never continued to develop that engine and used it in only one bike. I'm sure it was because it wasn't air-cooled and more expensive to manufacture which cut into the amount of money they could make off it. But it was an extremely reliable engine from what I've read on various Harley forums.
At that time HD was holding on strong to there air cooled tradition. They were very skeptical about the V-Rod water cooled engine. They did not feel their loyal customers would accept it.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 04:51 PM
FJR Top Gun

The plan going forward is fewer models (only the most popular). less color choices and less customizing according to articles I have read lately..

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blchandl2 View Post
They did not feel their loyal customers would accept it.

Alas, they were right.
passx likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you haven’t ridden a newer HD, say 05 & newer you should ! they are not your pappy’s hd ! Quality, fit & finish is actually better than nothing from Yamaha or any of the other Japanese bikes. Are they slower and a bit ponderous, , yes they are. I agree with old bald sob in that in my opinion they hit a home run with the v-rod motor, just fast & smooth, handled & stopped well but the seating position just sucked for me. Put that engine in a “normal” chassis or something like the xr1200 and I think they would’ve had a winner. I do like the Sportster & Superglides, a bit different but fun, just can’t be in any hurry.

Anyone ever rode an indian ftr1200 ?i did last summer, it’s real winner as well, fun to ride ! I don’t care for the cruiser thing myself but the ftr1200 isn’t in that category and is just a hoot to ride, different than an fjr, reminds me of the Yamaha fz09, just a hooligan, & encourages you to do stupid **** ! Imho

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page