I DON'T want to start a tire thread, but... - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:50 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Big fan of the Shinko Raven 009. I've got close to 12K miles on the pair. I'll probably change the rear within the next 1,500 miles or so. Lots of mileage left on the front (Solo - 165 pounds). And you can pick up a set for less than $170 - where was that "frugal" thread....
RaYzerman and N4HHE like this.

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:07 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Firstly, a special, big shout-out and Ďthank youí to Bernie and rbentnail for getting me access back to this site as I havenít been able to log-in or post since December last year.
Much, much appreciated!

(Iíve now changed my forum name as well)

Tyres:
I've gone from the PR4 to the Pirelli Angel GT A-Spec - that was by chance as there were no PR5's available at the time. I wasn't terribly happy with the PR4's anyway, so it worked out very well!
post #23 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 08:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I'm surprised that the Avon Storm XD never comes up. I had a set on my Superduke GT for a while and now have them on my FJR. Oddly, I have Road 5s on my Superduke now and my last tires on the FJR were Road fives.

I really like the Avons. I'm getting the most miles on them of any tire I have probably ever owned, and they handle great. I honestly don't remember how much they cost, but I think anything is cheaper than the Road 5s.

I tried a set of Avons on my 03 after some highly respected members here recommended them. Decidedly NOT what I liked in a tire. It's has more of a "triangular" profile than, say, a PR4 so it was twitchier to inputs that I like.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 09:00 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

well... refrained from posting as it was asking folks who didn't like the 'stones.

Regardless... I love all Bridgestone tires and run them on both my FJR and Ninja 400. Had the T30GT's on the FJR and they were great, the T31GT's were just as good and have LOTS of life left on them after 5k miles but took them off as they were squared off from a 4k trip to CA ad back. Since bridgestone had their rebate and I'm riding less, went and put the S22's on the FJR... YES, i did.
Needless to say, tip-in, turn-in is faster than the touring tire but grip is the same. That's not a bad thing as i find it nearly impossible to find the grip level on any tire on public roads, and I'm not one that pushes around a 650 lb bike to its limit on public roads. Have about 300 miles on them so far and no wear issues at all.

For the price, mail-in rebates and free tire changes (do them myself), 'stones work great on my budget.
Liquidsilver likes this.
post #25 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 09:06 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I tried a set of Avons on my 03 after some highly respected members here recommended them. Decidedly NOT what I liked in a tire. It's has more of a "triangular" profile than, say, a PR4 so it was twitchier to inputs that I like.
Was that the current generation Avon? I do not feel what you are saying at all. I find it's transition into curves is exceptionally smooth and linear. Even just looking at the tire it does not look at all like that to me.

I always respect your opinion, and handling feel is somewhat subjective. But we'll have to disagree on this one.

I looked up the price last night on Revzilla. The rear is about $40 less than the Road 5.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #26 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 09:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It was some time ago (say about 2006). I never looked at them again because the PR4 is right in my sweet spot of handling, grip, and longevity.
the Ferret likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 01:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Avon what?

Are all Avon tires just alike?
Are all Bridgestone tires just alike?
Are all Michelin tires just alike?
Are are Yamahas just alike?
Is all synthetic motor oil just alike?

Enquiring Minds Want To Knowô

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #28 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 10:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't like Bridgestone options for the FJR either. Nanny nanny boo boo.
SpokaneJim likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #29 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 11:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Iíve always thought the Angel GT was better on dry roads than the PR4 and equal on wet.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #30 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:56 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Iíve always thought the Angel GT was better on dry roads than the PR4 and equal on wet.
Agree! The Angels appear to wear better as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page