I DON'T want to start a tire thread, but... - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'll agree the Shinko Verge is not a good choice.....
There is Shinko Verge 011 and Shinko Verge 2X 016. I disliked the 016. Many really like the Shinko Raven 009 but I feel burned by Shinko.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 11:23 AM
FJR Top Gun

The thing about tires for me, even though the Michelin PR4GTs cost more, I have always been happy with them on the FJR and on my previous ST 1300. For me they handle well, provide a good ride, and last a long time. Sure, I can find cheaper tires, but what if I'm not happy with them, like I was unhappy with the Bridgestone 023s that came stock on the FJR? (I know the stock BS's were not quality BS's) but the theory is the same. Couldn't wait to wear out those 023's and get a good set of tires on the FJR. Half a summer wasted on crappy tires. I've read responses from guys who tried this tire and that tire and were disappointed in their longevity or performance or the weight it took to balance them. I could spend less for a different tire, be disappointed, and have to live with a crappy tire for 1/2 a summer, when I could have just bought tires I know I liked that cost a little more, but no disappointment for even a minute. Happy riding the whole time. I'm hesitant to go to something I might not like, and wouldn't see it as a savings in that case, but rather a waste of money.

I'm pretty frugal most of the time, but don't mind paying for tires that make me happy to ride on. Now if they were $600 a set, I might be looking for another tire brand. My frugality would kick in at that point I'm afraid lol
bounce likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Well I DON'T want to be a jerk... but since I am so good at it, I may as well.

No such thing as a PILOT Road 5. They are Road 5s. No Pilot in there.

And since I have happily run every PILOT Road from the original, to the PR4GT, I hate the Road 5s. Worst tire of that series. I may try the GT version but I will try to find PR4s or PR4GTs instead.
Yep, you sure ARE good at it! No ROAD in there, indeed! DOHH!

- -

Thanks for the thoughts gentlemen! It sounds like nobody hates them, so I'm going to try the T31s.

I don't do GTs on any of these tires. Me and my bike are not as gravitationally challenged as some others... and the GTs are just extra weight, IMHO. And when I use my ST mount as a track coaching tool, I find the Road5s tread pattern much less walky on the racetrack and they don't bubble up as badly as PR4s... but I really like both on the street.

Look ma, I started a tire thread!
mobilemike likes this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *

post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 02:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Yep, you sure ARE good at it! No ROAD in there, indeed! DOHH!
No Pilot, only Road.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Road. No Pilot! So who's flying the facking plane!

passx, N4HHE and the Ferret like this.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #16 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm surprised that the Avon Storm XD never comes up. I had a set on my Superduke GT for a while and now have them on my FJR. Oddly, I have Road 5s on my Superduke now and my last tires on the FJR were Road fives.

I really like the Avons. I'm getting the most miles on them of any tire I have probably ever owned, and they handle great. I honestly don't remember how much they cost, but I think anything is cheaper than the Road 5s.
Redfish likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #17 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 10:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Not a fan of Bridgestones. The fronts never seem to have enough feel for me. Did not like them on my MT-10. I had been running PR4s on both the FJR and Multistrada. I like the regular better than the GT and there is no difference in tire life. Got talked into trying a set of Road5s on the new Multi, never again. Going back to Pirelli Angel GTs, the original not the 2s. Great tire, lasts a long time and costs less than the Michelin. Try a set of Angel GTs you won’t be disappointed.
Redfish likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
post #18 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Angel GT's, Avon Storms, from all I hear, as good as a PR4..... have an Angel GT on the back of the VFR right now, so far feels good. Got an Avon Spirit GT waiting in the wings for when the Shinko wears out on the CBF.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #19 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 12:33 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Tire I like in order of preference based on use.

Michelin PR4 GT - I like the feel of these tires on the road. Expensive.

Pirelli Angel GT Spec A - These are less expensive than the PR4 and I am getting about 7200 miles out of the front tire. They work well even at end of life. Have another set in the garage ready to mount.

Dunlop RS3's A stiff tire and didn't last beyond 6k miles.

Bridgestone T3x - These didn't last long maybe 5500 miles.

Tires I haven't tried include any Shinko's. I'd may try Shinko Raven 009 at this price how can you go wrong?
post #20 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Just did a ride down to Missoula MT from Coeur D Alene on I 90 which has a lot of great curves for 180 miles. Angel GT performed great.
Donk likes this.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page