Wet weather overpants recommendations - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 03:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have the best of the best. And that ****
is too hot for my tastes in the southern summer heat. I can stand it, and have stood it,
I just wouldn’t normally choose to. So despite having a Nirvana suit, in summer, I wear mesh at the most, sometimes not that.

All summer, rain shells ride rolled up tight in a side case. I’ll still break out the aerostich sometimes for a trip or if it’s really pouring leaving for a commute. But generally, when the trip and the temp mean I wouldn’t die or even get hypothermic if I got wet, I go with throw-over shells.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Frogg Toggs for me also...

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 08:58 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Found I like long “ Bibb style “ pants with suspenders just for rain, or when xtra cold as the last outside layer.. quick pull over anything , tough , and 100 % rainproof .. couldn’t find a good selection at a good price at local moto shops , so one day looking at Bass Pro in the fishing section , and success . Got a pair of Bone Dry that have been using for last 4 years . I do use the yellow Olympia rain jacket as my rain jacket for visibility though ( I am 6’2”)

2015 FJR1300 A
Grey / Black w/ tall screen
Givi V47 top case

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 09:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I am just the opposite. I have owned so much gear at the same time its ridiculous. Mesh pants, Corderra pants, winter pants, rain covers. Same with jackets.

Three or 4 season gear is just too hot in the summer. Even with good venting. On a multi day trip you might need all of it and it is impossible to pack. Armored gear does not pack small at all. Eastern Washington, Oregon,Idaho, Cali, Nevada, Utah, are all too hot in the summer. Its not uncommon to get to 100* out here.

I have discovered that mesh gear or perforated leather with a rain cover packs best and works for a wider verity of weather.

I have encountered 40 degree and raining for two days followed by 100 degree days on 8 or 9 or 10 day trips with no packing room for all that gear.
See. It's all that complexity that I forsake. I've been for a few rides around to some places and this strategy (which I learned from those who came before me) has worked from 5º to 120º (F) and RH from desert lows to far southern highs. Mesh gear is okay for local commuting but it evaporates the moisture away too quickly for it to help your body like it was designed to do.

Here's one of those people who took the time to do a very detailed explanation.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_hot.pdf

And at under 30 mph on a bicycle, I can assure you that my ATGATT mindset on motorbikes was wise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoadRash01.jpg (99.7 KB, 13 views)

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Last edited by bounce; 05-12-2020 at 09:47 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 05:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

I really hate riding in the rain & try to avoid it as much as possible. Bad enough that it limits my riding capabilities but cagers, who aren't paying enough attention to begin with, are even worse in the rain.

To the OP's original point:
I've owned a set of Frogg Toggs for years; used to carry them religiously because in SoFla, storms can pop up almost any time of the year, but especially June-Oct. during hurricane season. And yet, I can only recall ever donning them once in time before the rain hit. Perhaps it's because I live in SoFla, where the temps are generally much warmer year round than the rest of the country, I figure I'll just get wet. ****, I'm sweating so often when I ride, what's a little rain? Sometimes it even helps cool me down.

Matter of fact, on my inaugural ride of the FJR about a year ago, I rode home from the Tampa area to my neck of the woods on the Treasure Coast, about a 3 hr. jaunt. Hadn't rained in FL for over a month but, of course, it surely did on that ride, just about 25 miles out from home. That's Spectreman luck.

Yes, I had my Frogg Toggs & I could see the rain coming but thought (hoped?) it was going to bypass me. No such luck. The storm was a toad strangler and I was soaked before I knew what hit me. Thankfully a turnpike overpass provided me w/some cover for a bit but by then, I was dripping and never even gave the Frogg Toggs a thought, even tho I had them.

What does that say about me???
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ive had good luck with the frogg toggs too. Except last yr heading home from Dubuque fjr rally in a monsoon, I was totally soaked head to toe. Even my feet were soaked, Im not to sure anything would have kept me dry in that kinda wet. I couldn't pull over cuz the gnats were so bad, never seen bugs like that before. Good thing about frogg toggs is they dry out pretty easy when weather clears, unlike regular rubber rain suits. Ill probably invest in better gear eventually.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 08:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

Don't you love the feeling of that first trickle of rain running down your butt crack! Now that's living! 😯
the Ferret likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:53 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Rossignol

I found a pair of Rossignol ski pants with suspenders on sale online. Now is the time of year they go on sale. Found a pair of 38W and 35L. Perfect for motorcycle riding. Long length stays down over the top of my boots. Also they have a zipper in back that matches up to my Tourmaster jacket! Found them on Sierra Trading post. Oh and they fit well over my riding pants.

Last edited by hjarmitage; 05-15-2020 at 09:58 AM. Reason: More info
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 05:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-64 View Post
Don't you love the feeling of that first trickle of rain running down your butt crack! Now that's living! 😯
D**m skippy! I've had it in Hurricanes Michael and Thomas recently and as far back as Tropical Storm Claudette in the Florida Keys. Nothing short of a sealed enclosure to ride in keeps you dry in that kind of 50+ mph sideways Forrest Gump rain.

Russ
2007A

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 03:26 PM
FJR Top Gun

That sounds familiar lol (see post 2)

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page